New Army recruitment campaign

Ummm .... yes .... if it could only show some shiny new toys like a couple of aircraft carriers or some F-35 Bs, and reduce it's target numbers to the same level ...

Seriously, while the RN and RAF ads have knocked spots off the Army's, and the RN's 'Made in the RN' has been acknowledged as particularly good, I'm not so sure there are many lessons to be learnt and some aspects such as 'Street to Fleet' have been abject failures.
Suprised me that it’s the army that’s struggling. The Navy isn’t for everyone, even those who’d be fine in the army because if the nature of being at sea and the RAF requires A Levels for entry.

So the SSM writes the SQMS's SJAR? ... and the Trg Wing's, not the OC, Ops Offr or Bn 2ic?

I ... don't ... think ... so.
Every SQMS dept I’ve walked into has a Siggie sat in it. Not quite the same for Trg Wngs but often got a LCpl bumming about. The SSgts pick it up now, and I think now that we have thinned our out Tp SSgts, that’s been pushed down to Sgt. Awesome for retention.

Last edited:
Every SQMS dept I’ve walked into has a Siggie day in it. Not quite the same for Trg Wngs but often got a LCpl bumming about. The SSgts pick it up now, and I think now that we have thinned our out Tp SSgts, that’s been pushed down to Sgt. Awesome for retention.
So ... you now seem to be saying that SSMs don't write any of those SJARs after all ... oh dear ...

Applicants must have (for pilot):

• Have GCSEs at Grade C/4 or SNE at Grade 5 or SCE Standard Grades at Grade 2/SNE 5 in English and Maths and at least three other subjects. Have at least 2 A2 Levels/3 Highers at Grade C or above (excluding General Studies or Critical Thinking) which must total a minimum of 64 UCAS points​

So ... you now seem to be saying that SSMs don't write any of those SJARs after all ... oh dear ...
**** me you’re hard work. Since I was last in a field unit, Tp SSgts have thinned out, MS has been pushed downwards. Before that, our Sqn 2ICs thinned out (obviously on its way to being fixed by the offer) and whoever needed to pick up 1RO picked it up. Either way SSMs did and still do have a major input on juniors reports potentially content but more likely placing.

errr, Yes.

"In addition, you need at least 2 A2 Levels/3 Highers at Grade C or above (excluding General Studies or Critical Thinking) which must total a minimum of 64 UCAS points:"

for RPAS pilot, WSO and pilot.
Sucks really, was looking into the RAF along with the army in summer. If I knew I’d be getting my CertHE id have asked about that being a replacement for A levels.

Pre-digital age any orderly room / unit admin office, at least in the inf and in my experience, would have had all this information updated on a daily basis, even if it had to be carried there in a cleft stick or tucked into some native's loincloth. I recall having a similar discussion with @Stacker some time ago when he defended not knowing how many soldiers were in his tp on an ongoing basis.
As I explained at the time the 8005 has little resemblance to actual numbers per Troop.

errr, Yes.

"In addition, you need at least 2 A2 Levels/3 Highers at Grade C or above (excluding General Studies or Critical Thinking) which must total a minimum of 64 UCAS points:"

for RPAS pilot, WSO and pilot.
RPAS pilot, WSO and pilot are neither the only jobs in the RAF nor the only jobs they advertise. If you can't recall somehow, click on either of the two links to the main RAF sites.

Un-B-lievable.
Sucks really, was looking into the RAF along with the army in summer. If I knew I’d be getting my CertHE id have asked about that being a replacement for A levels.
If you only wanted to join the RAF as a pilot, WPS or RPAS pilot, fine.

... but please don't talk nonsense, first that "the RAF requires A Levels for entry" and then that the only jobs they advertise are "pilots and drone flying."

Alamo seems as misinformed about his own service as he does the Army, but the links could hardly be clearer.

You really are a belter John. JNM states 'pilots and drone flying', you state 'No', you are shown 'Yes', and reply with 'RPAS pilot, WSO and pilot are neither the only jobs in the RAF nor the only jobs they advertise'. As someone with such a pedantic obsession with detail, you are clearly hoist by your own petard here.

The benefits definitely outweigh the cons. I know it varies by rank, cap badge and role but honestly... So many people come, do 4 years and go without taking advantage of the excellent opportunities the MoD provide.
Just means that there is more opportunities for me! Seriously.

as to ssgt and as a to cdr, I made all the young lads posted in do 1 week's at in their first year. They could choose or I'd choose for them.

jncos had to be working towards an instruction qual.

The benefits of at were explained by my good self on a sqn at package (which didn't count to either the above endeavours) consisting of rock climbing, kayak and canoeing, hill walking and mountain biking. Thursday night was volley ball, barbcue and two free cans each. Further cans were £1-2 each and finally a minibus (driven by myself and some other seniors) to civilisation. This was available every night on a big boys rules basis and last lift at 2200.

I think the group minibus would be leaving by 0730 to their respective activities. Miss it and standby. Ie hated to camp and, as there was no other transport and a three mile tab to civilisation, not a great deal to do.

You really are a belter John. JNM states 'pilots and drone flying', you state 'No', you are shown 'Yes', and reply with 'RPAS pilot, WSO and pilot are neither the only jobs in the RAF nor the only jobs they advertise'. As someone with such a pedantic obsession with detail, you are clearly hoist by your own petard here.
You've either got a brain the size of an extremely small pea or you badly need to visit SpecSavers.

His first post, in full:
Suprised me that it’s the army that’s struggling. The Navy isn’t for everyone, even those who’d be fine in the army because if the nature of being at sea and the RAF requires A Levels for entry.
However you read it, apart from in a relatively small number of posts, similar to the RN, RM and Army, the RAF does not 'require A levels for entry' as very clearly evidenced by the link I gave to the education qualifications needed, hence unavoidably "No".

His second post, also in full:
I mean for the stuff they show like pilots and drone flying.
However you read it, "pilots and drone flying" is not the only "stuff they show" as very clearly evidenced by the link I gave to the RAF site showing "the stuff they show", hence, again unavoidably, "No".

I've put the apposite parts in bold as you seem to have somehow missed them.

(FWIW, JNM, a Cert HE is worth 0 UCAS points.)

There is a significant difference between a business marketing skincare products and the Army. Actually, there are a few:-

1. You have multiple competitors selling similar stuff. Your website needs to be easy for first time visitors to navigate or they will tend to go elsewhere.
The Army has far fewer competitors, and for some career options has virtually none. Their website only needs to fulfill basic functionality.
Many in the forces like to think that there are no competitors but there are. Many.

2. You are selling a product which lasts a short time, so are dependent on repeat orders, which means repeat visits from customers. If their online experience of your business isn't great, they will tend to go elsewhere.
The Army is selling a career choice. Once a person has been through the process, they normally don't need to repeat it.
How many times does a lot-recruit go on to the website for info? There's a dazzling array of jobs. Do they view the other services? Other uniformed services? Fe/he?

3. You are selling a product which will be delivered to them by someone else. Your only contact with customers is the online contact, which makes that online contact the be all and end all.
The Army is using its online presence only to act as an invitation for further direct contact.
So essentially the army website is selling a product delivered by someone else...

**** me you’re hard work. Since I was last in a field unit, Tp SSgts have thinned out, MS has been pushed downwards. Before that, our Sqn 2ICs thinned out (obviously on its way to being fixed by the offer) and whoever needed to pick up 1RO picked it up. Either way SSMs did and still do have a major input on juniors reports potentially content but more likely placing.
So what?

Apparently your Army's not even at the red jacket stage yet but still wearing woad!

Pre-digital age any orderly room / unit admin office, at least in the inf and in my experience, would have had all this information updated on a daily basis, even if it had to be carried there in a cleft stick or tucked into some native's loincloth. I recall having a similar discussion with @Stacker some time ago when he defended not knowing how many soldiers were in his tp on an ongoing basis.

Sorry, but if the Army's idea of progress is IT systems that can't produce this sort of routine information with minimal effort when it was readily and routinely available forty years ago then as @lacrabat suggested the systems really aren't progress but are a step backwards.
I'm not sure what part of "WTF is a SSM doing dictating what goes in to a JNCO's SJAR? I'd ask for and value his input, but as a Pl Comd I'd resent his thinking he had a right to dictate what went into it, and as Adjt or OC I'd tell him to wind his neck in" and "Fair point, but while a SSM should have input to a SJAR under no circumstances should he write any part of it" you're correcting me on.

Agree with you 100% there - a little "quaint" courtesy never goes amiss and it works both ways, although some at the top seem to forget that.
There is SO much going on now in working units. I knew where my troops were and stacked should have done too. But the orderly room or RAO just can't keep up with the myriad of functions a modern troop can be carrying out.

we have it to keep track of it. Excel and a printer

a cpl's club meeting, let's say Thursday 13-1400. I'd day on an average thursday, I'd have one cpl on a de t manifest, inspection and packing. One on a matt/trg, one in the garages (so spare) and the other delivering trg or carrying out online maint of a det.

None of that will be known by the orderly room. At least one of those cpls will unreleasable.