New Army recruitment campaign

The SSMs will enforce their subordinates comply, they will also know where their JNCOs are, the clerks will just produce a list of JNCO pidded to the sqn.

Some young officers might stand up to their SSMs, most wont.

I can guarantee if the SSM was RLC his SJAR would be awesome for forcing his soldiers to have enforced fun.
He’s trying to do the right thing but his execution is woeful.

He’s trying to do the right thing but his execution is woeful.
Whats the right thing? Force people to go to something they don't want to? He's trying to get brownie points on his SJAR.

Whats the right thing? Force people to go to something they don't want to? He's trying to get brownie points on his SJAR.
The intended end state is improved unit cohesion amongst the Cpls, which isn’t a bad thing. The method and it’s implied execution is pump though. I’ve met plenty that have enjoyed a Cpls Mess.

I wouldn’t know what gives senior officers a stiffy but there are plenty of decent that would pick this as a battle worth fighting.

You wouldnt have thought so, looking at the numerous times this bollocks keeps happening. I seem to remember your Corps always being forced to buy their belts and some colonel (Eventually) said in the soldier mag that they are looking at not making it compulsory to buy one as the Corps will pay for it (by making making it compulsory to pay Corps subs)

The intended end state is improved unit cohesion amongst the Cpls, which isn’t a bad thing. The method and it’s implied execution is pump though. I’ve met plenty that have enjoyed a Cpls Mess.
The intended end state is him getting an SJAR moment by showing how popular the Mess is with him as presiding member.

Cpl Messes can be great and can be pump, I cant say I notice the good ones being that great at cohesion, they did however aid morale.

You wouldnt have thought so, looking at the numerous times this bollocks keeps happening. I seem to remember your Corps always being forced to buy their belts and some colonel (Eventually) said in the soldier mag that they are looking at not making it compulsory to buy one as the Corps will pay for it (by making making it compulsory to pay Corps subs)
I agree that we’re up there with the bullshit merchants and are feeling the pain because of it now. However, unit cohesion is important and worth fighting for.

I agree that we’re up there with the bullshit merchants and are feeling the pain because of it now. However, unit cohesion is important and worth fighting for.
Cpl messes are rarely connected to unit cohesion. They are just something that have been around for ages and people assume they have a use other than for getting shitfaced without the toms being around.

Cpls messes could be connected to unit cohesion, if it did however would you measure it?
As the Sgt Messes aren't connected to cohesion I doubt the Cpl Messes ever will. As I said before they are just something that we have had around for decades/centuries and we just continue the bullshit because COs/RSMs don't want to close the Messes
I've been to units with shit mess, good messes and no messes none of it appears to be connected to unit cohesion. If anything having 3 separate messes and the NAAFI bar for the oiks based on rank probably doesn't do much for cohesion.

Have a look at the FYB comments on it (Im aware that not everyone on FYB is serving or has served).

I (and most other blokes) always hated waiting on at mess functions,especially Cpl's Mess.It always seemed a bit pointless,after all,a lance jack is just a glorified Fusilier.
I would always try and get out of attending functions if I could,I just hated all the fuss.Grace and toasts,Mr Vice,port fines arrrgghh. I couldn't stand it.And I wasn't on my own.

As the Sgt Messes aren't connected to cohesion I doubt the Cpl Messes ever will. As I said before they are just something that we have had around for decades/centuries and we just continue the bullshit because COs/RSMs don't want to close the Messes
I've been to units with shit mess, good messes and no messes none of it appears to be connected to unit cohesion. If anything having 3 separate messes and the NAAFI bar for the oiks based on rank probably doesn't do much for cohesion.

Have a look at the FYB comments on it (Im aware that not everyone on FYB is serving or has served).
Your experience doesn’t match mine here, and depending on the balls of the RSM, the Mess has a voice, without it there’s no point in being a SNCO, you might as well just do timed promotion.

It's not my "line of thought", Bob. That's what they said. It may make your whole argument look like like the proverbial crock of cr@p, but I think I prefer to believe a few thousand who've gone through the process rather than someone who just thinks he knows what they think who's as out of touch with them as I am.

I'm not trying to have it "both ways", Bob. Just listening to those who've gone through the process successfully rather than someone from the planet Zog. Un-B-lievable. UN-B-FECKIN-LIEVABLE.

Over half the recruits last year (and it's a similar picture in previous years) learnt about the Army from friends and family who are serving / have served - what @Yokel would call the 'a' group. They've gone. They're in or rejected. All that's left are some of the 'b' group and the 'c' group.

You don't need to know the detail to realise that was unavoidable and you don't need to be in digital marketing to realise that you're going to get far less conversions from your last 30,000 applications than from your first 90,000. All you need is a working brain cell and a level of common sense.
How do you know how recruits learnt about the Army?
What part of this is beyond you, Bob:
That you think that by continually posting WRONG PEOPLE in capitals makes you right? It isn’t surprising when the messaging in the ads in the ads isn’t aimed at the “right” people, assuming they exist.

So why not target that group with focused ads that touch their pain points - the Belonging series went part way, but nowhere near enough. Why not create content that tells the story of some real soldiers who have escaped sink estates - touch the pain points in other words. Why not make it easy for them to sign up on the device that they consume the internet; their phone?

In other words do it properly; use best practice instead of expecting a badly focused, poorly designed website and dreadful corporate focused social media content to work?

The only kids without smartphones are the ones who’ve been given dumb phones by drug pushers. Within five years smartphones will be ubiquitous in primary schools. They’re not going away.

Your experience doesn’t match mine here, and depending on the balls of the RSM, the Mess has a voice, without it there’s no point in being a SNCO, you might as well just do timed promotion.
The Mess does have a voice, usually the RSMs. Ever wondered why the warrants **** off and do their own thing if its all one Mess based on cohesion?

There are places without officers/Sgts Messes, they seem to cope.

Once again, its just something we have always had so we continue to have them. Their usefulness is very questionable today.

10:30 for the boys, 12:30 for the girls BFT. just the second half of a BFT? No march/run first 15 min out?

If they make them double time everywhere, that will fix the problem. Not being vindictive, just helping the lasses that didn't knock off their BFTs.
No such thing as a BFT, hasn’t been for years, the 15 min warm up thing hasn’t existed for almost a couple of decades either.

Maybe we should make them practice forming square from line as well ^~

My last unit had a cracking mess.

it was quite important for unit cohesion.

tea and toast and lunch was where the work got done. Sometimes in the bar after hours.

Sncos an wos thrashing out the detail.

we didn't have a cpls mess.

Unit cohesion was further strengthened by a healthy social life around troop, sqn and regimental levels.

My last unit had a cracking mess.

it was quite important for unit cohesion.

tea and toast and lunch was where the work got done. Sometimes in the bar after hours.

Sncos an wos thrashing out the detail.

we didn't have a cpls mess.

Unit cohesion was further strengthened by a healthy social life around troop, sqn and regimental levels.

You know the rest of the world has moved on from tea and toast? They have this thing called "email". If you need to communicate with someone, that's generally what they used. You can even sit on your arse in the NAAFI coffee shops and have Tea/coffee/hot chocolate/coke/fanta with a pie/sausage roll/chocolate bar/cake while sending an email from your civvie account.
Tea and toast is a great example of us doing something because we always have. 100 years ago, toasted bread was a bit of perk plus there was no mass communication. The world has moved on.

The days of having a few pints on a school night in the Mess are almost gone. Even on the weekends they are deserted, the pads never set foot in the place and singlies have lives outside of barracks. Ive gone to close RMP/Loggie/Infantry Messes while ROS only to find the staff have fucked off an hour before due to lack of custom.

I do enjoy hearing the myths of "What happens in the Mess stays in the Mess". Unless one of the many civvies who work there decide to tell and and sundry what you were saying/doing.

**** know how civvie firms manage without a building of their own to have a chat in.

Last edited: