New Army recruitment campaign

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Those three months flew past.

The videos are way better than the posters. Do people really think that my age group refer to themselves as snow flakes? That's incredibly out of touch and off putting - why would I want to join a service that appeals to snowflakes when part of the appeal of the military is to get away from those types of people. The Navy and RAF do it a lot better from my point of view because they steer away from the pandering bullshit.

How very not impressive.

Just to compare, contrast and give some failed marketeer something to cogitate over these are what are running on US telly at the moment.

How very not impressive.

Just to compare, contrast and give some failed marketeer something to cogitate over these are what are running on US telly at the moment.

Looks good. Interesting that marketing on both sides of the Pond seem to be long the same lines.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

How very not impressive.

OK, I'll bite with some starters for Ten*:

To date that BRIT ARMYjobs video clip 'Your Army Needs You, and Your Spirit' went live 02/01/2019 and so far has attracted 2,345 views with 89 likes & 12 dislikes.

Meanwhile, our cousins with their US Army TRADOC video clip 'Warriors Wanted 1-4 Montage' went live a month earlier on 02/12/2018, attracting a similar 2,634 views with 43 likes & only 2 dislikes.

I'll leave others to offer caustic critical appraisal of these video's contents, merely adding that the Brit clip runs for just 1.00 mins whilst the US version is twice as long at 2.03 mins. Mega $s vs Mini £s ?

There may be some significance in the fact that our ARMYjobs contributions at YouTube generally state <<Comments are disabled for this video>> but the US Army TRADOC does allow comments.

This might result in the odd snippet of useful feedback* but leaves the doors wide open for a crop of crap from cretinous crayoners!

Final contrast is that this US clip provides CC subtitles but our ARMYjobs videos do not (yet?)*

*Might interest @Ninja_Stoker in his new role?

[Quick Dit from ancient times pre-mass media/social networking etc.

The RN once ran a series of newspaper recruiting ads extolling the attractions of 'Britains New Navy' with mini-maps and straplines of 'How far to (insert various exotic-sounding locations) when you are only Seventeen?'

ATT foreign travel was yet take off but Geography was still taught using maps and my generation of potential matelots were quick to spot that the transposition of places like Zanzibar and Dakar had slipped through unnoticed by the recruiters/proof readers/printers. My how we chuckled...]

Bob L

Final contrast is that this US clip provides CC subtitles but our ARMYjobs videos do not (yet?)*

*Might interest @Ninja_Stoker in his new role?
Yep, always available for hire, me.

With regard the more "recent" successful RN adverts: "Born in xxxxxx, Made in the Royal Navy", Captain Naval Recruiting Marketeers are still so busy congratulating themselves on behalf of the civilian contracted agency which came up with the idea, they've completely missed the fact they need to find a new idea. Instead, they are still flogging the last ounce of the dead horse by endlessly producing matelots with different accents chanting the same mantra.

The Bootneck recruiting ads are usually quite decent. Although stated elsewhere, the recent "macho" ad of a sharpshooter remaining motionless as a huge spider crawled across his face was made all the more funny, for me, when a trained rank commented on YouTube "If that thing crawled across my grid, everyone within 5 km would know about it". I reckon that comment probably did more for recruiting than the advert.

'White, working class and no hope of a civilian career? We'll have you.'.

Job, jobbed.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Yep, always available for hire, me.

With regard the more "recent" successful RN adverts: "Born in xxxxxx, Made in the Royal Navy", Captain Naval Recruiting Marketeers are still so busy congratulating themselves on behalf of the civilian contracted agency which came up with the idea, they've completely missed the fact they need to find a new idea. Instead, they are still flogging the last ounce of the dead horse by endlessly producing matelots with different accents chanting the same mantra.

The Bootneck recruiting ads are usually quite decent. Although stated elsewhere, the recent "macho" ad of a sharpshooter remaining motionless as a huge spider crawled across his face was made all the more funny, for me, when a trained rank commented on YouTube "If that thing crawled across my grid, everyone within 5 km would know about it". I reckon that comment probably did more for recruiting than the advert.
Quite by coincidence, just reported on the news.

Police respond to spider death threats

How very not impressive.

It really doesn’t matter whether you or I, or for that matter, CGS and the Secretary of State think it’s impressive. All that matters is that it engages the target audience and that the processes are in place to retarget those that engage and suck them into the recruiting funnel.

The ads success or otherwise in achieving its intent are easily measurable and the ad campaign should be easily adjustable so that success can be exploited. My fear is that, as usual, the decisions and approvals to spend will be held too high to really make this work.

For an organisation like the Army to achieve only 2.5k views is pretty pathetic. We routinely see video daily views in excess of that with an ad spend of £50 a day.

If those stats are right, I don’t think they have a clue.

Wait. Let me get this straight - those posters are not Photoshopped fakes? They're not just the Daily Sexpress or the Daily Heil taking the piss out of the Army as usual? They're actually real?

As they say in Tumblr land, "What is this? I can't even."

I have some questions, namely:

*Who had the idea for the posters?

*Who gave the okay for the go-ahead for the publishing of the posters?

*Are these people still in post?

*If so, why in fresh hell have they not been sacked?

- Marketing company whose previous campaign, Belonging, was the most engaged with campaign the Army has had for Recruiting in decades, hitting all it's targets and being more engaging than both RAF and RN adverts over 2018.

- ARITC and Recruiting Group I imagine, probably Gen Nanson at some point.

- Yes, marketing firm will be until 2020 at least.

- Because the market research and last years campaign were found to be measured as being good.

Happy?

The videos are way better than the posters. Do people really think that my age group refer to themselves as snow flakes? That's incredibly out of touch and off putting - why would I want to join a service that appeals to snowflakes when part of the appeal of the military is to get away from those types of people. The Navy and RAF do it a lot better from my point of view because they steer away from the pandering bullshit.
I would assume though snowflakes increase as a % of your age group by class.. So the wealthier and better educated someone, the more snowflakey and vegan minded you are..

- Marketing company whose previous campaign, Belonging, was the most engaged with campaign the Army has had for Recruiting in decades, hitting all it's targets and being more engaging than both RAF and RN adverts over 2018.

- ARITC and Recruiting Group I imagine, probably Gen Nanson at some point.

- Yes, marketing firm will be until 2020 at least.

- Because the market research and last years campaign were found to be measured as being good.

Happy?
I would be interested to know what metrics "success" was measured against? Because no one is queueing up for phase 1 training yet.