New Army Medical Entry Standards for Mental Health?

Hello all,

I have just joined the forum having applied to join 23 Parachute Engineer Regiment as a Reservist earlier this year.

Having appealed the decision to reject my application on the grounds of having briefly suffered from anxiety in the past, I have received a letter from the Medical Officer at Glencorse stating that a change in the Army Medical Entry Standards for Mental Health is taking place. They have explained that the changes could impact on my application and I have been advised that it will remain on hold until the change in policy is formalised, when I will be notified of the outcome.

I was wondering if anyone is able to share any information about the changes that are proposed or planned and the potential timeline for them being introduced?

Thanks in advance.

S

Tired_Tech

On ROPS
On ROPs
Hello all,

I have just joined the forum having applied to join 23 Parachute Engineer Regiment as a Reservist earlier this year.

Having appealed the decision to reject my application on the grounds of having briefly suffered from anxiety in the past, I have received a letter from the Medical Officer at Glencorse stating that a change in the Army Medical Entry Standards for Mental Health is taking place. They have explained that the changes could impact on my application and I have been advised that it will remain on hold until the change in policy is formalised, when I will be notified of the outcome.

I was wondering if anyone is able to share any information about the changes that are proposed or planned and the potential timeline for them being introduced?

Thanks in advance.

S
you're going to have to wait and see.

Hello all,

Thanks in advance.

S
Gutted ..I received my letter yesterday stating unfit due to anxiety .. was going to appeal as medical notes said twice but it was in fact once two years ago however doesn't seem worth it after reading this as guessing i will be declined again ! Twelve months of preparation down the pan I feel !!

Tired_Tech

On ROPS
On ROPs
Gutted ..I received my letter yesterday stating unfit due to anxiety .. was going to appeal as medical notes said twice but it was in fact once two years ago however doesn't seem worth it after reading this as guessing i will be declined again ! Twelve months of preparation down the pan I feel !!
I'd the circumstances are incorrect you should appeal.

Doctors are so fast to do two minute screen test and say you have anxiety .. yet I don't believe I did ..I had low self esteem.. skinny kid and a bit shy.. joined the gym built myself up and carried on with martial arts adding another two nights training in other sports ..yet seems one visit to a gp and it impacts your future .. Doctors are super fast to assume anxiety and depression i think will stop many fit healthy lads being able to serve their country and instead taking the applications from all the commonwealth they're recruiting for now .

I'd the circumstances are incorrect you should appeal.
But I did have one visit for anxiety so assuming thats the new policy it will still be a no ! Doesnt seem fair . I compete alongside army karate team on a regular basis all of who believed I would have no issues getting in .. but doctors only see paperwork!

Tired_Tech

On ROPS
On ROPs
But I did have one visit for anxiety so assuming thats the new policy it will still be a no ! Doesnt seem fair . I compete alongside army karate team on a regular basis all of who believed I would have no issues getting in .. but doctors only see paperwork!
Well, you're details are wrong and it looks like the criteria is changing.

appeal.

you've nothing to lose.

skymacuk

Old-Salt
Hello all,

Thanks in advance.

S

I'm assuming you mean 299 PARA SQN ???

JSP 950 was updated in Sep 18 and Annex L (Psychiatry pre-entry) underwent a major review, there wont be another one in the immediate future:

Mood (Affective) Disorders (F30-F39)

17. Disorders of mood, especially depression, are not confined to this category as diagnoses may also be classified in the anxiety and stress-related categories (F41 and F43). Disorders in this group range from the profoundly disabling psychotic affective disorders (eg mania) to less distressing, mild and transient lowering of mood secondary to a minor life stressor. In some individuals the genetic predisposition is so strong that the condition may become overt with no triggering stressor. However, in most cases of affective disorder, an episode of illness is precipitated by a stressful life event.

18. Candidates with a diagnosis of a single episode of mild or moderate depression (F32.0, 32.1) with a clear precipitating stressor may be graded FIT provided that all treatment, including medication, has been completed and the individual must be free from symptoms and off medication for 1 year.

19. A diagnosis of a single episode of severe depression without psychosis (F32.2) suggests a greater impact on functioning, a requirement for more extensive therapy and higher risk of relapse. To be graded FIT, all treatment (including medication) must be completed and the candidate must be free from symptoms and off medication for 2 years. The episode of depression itself and the treatment pathway should not be more than 24 months in total166.

20. A candidate with a history of two of more episodes of depression or a recurring or persistent depressive disorder (F33), severe depression with psychosis, manic disorder (F30) or bipolar affective disorder (F31) will be graded UNFIT. If there is a doubt about the diagnosis the case should be referred to single service occupational physician responsible for Service entry.

I was in the same boat, had my application deferred for 4 years due to past history of low mood. Appealed it, they said my application would progress in January at the earliest and got the same message about the change in entry standards for mental health, but with the new policy it's happened now, and I'm going for selection in January instead. Just hang in mate, could be pleasantly surprised.

Latest Threads