New Armed Forces redundancy package (AFPS)

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by hackle, Jun 30, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I know that this subject is quite rightly being covered in the Finance and RHQ forums but perhaps this Hansard extract is more in the current affairs line and should be of interest to all who care about our armed forces, not only those directly affected by the changes. Any comments?

This was the discussion in the House of Lords yesterday afternoon:
  2. If a Sergeant were to be required to resign - or whatever the OR equivalent is - then he would get jack-all. However the esteemed Blind Pew having been compelled to resign as unfit for service due to "beastliness" gets 18k...raise the double standard and I'll march behind THAT!! Not...

Why are we making people redundant when even the overstretchometer has gone off the scale? Is it in the hope that the pensions bill will fall and so make international adventuring by future Labour governments marginally more affordable? The redundees of the mid-nineties were all cheerful when summoned back for Bos and Kos..they got wedged up for serving, extra pension contributions and still banked their redundancy money. I sense something similar will occur in the mid-to-late 2000s.