New AKU Pilgrim issue boots - Italy factory visit and product test.

These boots are no longer cool, I’m fuming they’ve started issuing them! Now all the clerks and tech biffs will be cutting about in them. I need to find something that will annoy the badge again..
For a select choice for the discerning disciple of 21st century dms…...
Brown British Army Boots for Sale | Buy Combat Boots & Army Boots UK
haix should be good they retain quality control after all….
I tried a pair of black eagle tactical they felt nice although a bit tight for my hammer toes:(

Having once read a review of these boots a few years ago, I ordered a pair. Both boots had a large visible white product number stamped on the outside of the tongue. No matter how the laces were tied, the number remained visible. It reminded me of the paint dipped wooden blocks (that's not their name) that we used on everything from our undies to pussers suitcases. Anyway, I liked the boots but the big FO number on the tongue was too pusser for me.
Q: Are the boots you have reviewd the same as that earlier batch?
Thanks for your time.

I managed to get my hands on a pair of these last week.

Being one of those biffs that hasn't been able to tab for years due to Chronic Compartment Syndrome (I had a fasciotomy in 2005, which failed and I've since been told the injury for me is not repairable), I gave in to temptation last Thursday and went for a small, weighted walk with someone else in a similar situation. I have to say, it was like walking on cushions. Usually at around the 3/4 mile point I would feel my calves tightening up and causing issues with my legs in general, but I have to say not once did I feel any symptoms of my injury.

I'll need to build myself up to more weight and longer distance, but at the moment it's safe to say I'm happy with these boots.

i don't like ACUs.
even before a rather unfortunate accident with somehow managed to screw my foot up so now I have to have wide boots, the ACUs weren't really comfy.
Is it just me who thinks that idea of "starting" laces just above the toes is an idiotic idea (same goes about the rubber belt just above the sole)? wherever I've walked in these (or lowa super camp or similar) I got tops of my toes squeezed.

i don't like ACUs.
even before a rather unfortunate accident with somehow managed to screw my foot up so now I have to have wide boots, the ACUs weren't really comfy.
Is it just me who thinks that idea of "starting" laces just above the toes is an idiotic idea (same goes about the rubber belt just above the sole)? wherever I've walked in these (or lowa super camp or similar) I got tops of my toes squeezed.
I must say I hadn't noticed the laces but you're right; they start way forward of what I'd have thought necessary.
Laces on both my Altbergs & lightweights start pretty much in line with where the boot flexes when i walk.
I wonder why these are different.

I must say I hadn't noticed the laces but you're right; they start way forward of what I'd have thought necessary.
Laces on both my Altbergs & lightweights start pretty much in line with where the boot flexes when i walk.
I wonder why these are different.
Most Danner boots in the old days (90's) were like that as well - laces starting just behind the toe. Most of the ones they make now and get issued to the US military or get bought by them are conventionally laced.

If you like the pilgrims but not the lacing have a look into the tabbing boots by altberg.

The lacing starts higher, the toe is a bit wider but overall they feel the same weight and fit like trainers.

Last edited:
@Ravers Resurrecting this thread after spending a week in leather boots that felt more like portable saunas. I know AKU make a big deal of this air 8000 method but does it actually make a measurable difference to breathability with a Goretex membrane? Fabric boots with Goretex have felt quite sweaty / clammy before.

I was tempted by a pair of the non-GTX boots until I realised a) not available in black and b) my feet will get soggy in bogs. Given they are only going to be used as a summer boot, is Goretex any good or do I just get a pair of non-Goretex and some spare Sealskinz?

Last edited:
@Ravers Resurrecting this thread after spending a week in leather boots that felt more like portable saunas. I know AKU make a big deal of this air 8000 method but does it actually make a measurable difference to breathability with a Goretex membrane? Fabric boots with Goretex have felt quite sweaty / clammy before.

I was tempted by a pair of the non-GTX boots until I realised a) not available in black and b) my feet will get soggy in bogs. Given they are only going to be used as a summer boot, is Goretex any good or do I just get a pair of non-Goretex and some spare Sealskinz?
Having spent a lot of time with both Gore and AKU recently, the reason most boots with membranes feel sweaty/clammy is that the boot manufacturer covers the membrane booty with glue to fix it to the fabric inside of the boot. So they’re taking a highly breathable membrane and covering it with an unbreathable glue! Hence sweaty, clammy, slow drying etc.

AKU deal with this by using a glue mesh backed on the Air 8000 fabric that allows the Gore Membrane to still breathe properly. AKU were the first company to use Gore membranes in their boots and I can assure you, it makes a huge difference! I’ve been wearing GTX Pilgrims (including the issued ones) for some time now and they are ridiculously cool and comfortable - as well as fast drying. With the new Gore membranes they actually dry faster then non-Gore alternatives!

Hope that helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you like the pilgrims but not the lacing have a look into the tabbing boots by altberg.

The lacing starts higher, the toe is a bit wider but overall they feel the same weight and fit like trainers.
Aye, I have them. Nice shoes, but... soles are crap (the altberg's skywalks are much better but not available in 'off-the-shelf' tabbing boots /one has to order them specifically/), plus they don't really have any fancy thing like 2-zone lacing etc. the thingy they have there for laces is worse than the thingy they had in their sneekers boots (where it was also semi-functional).
personally, after trying mainly cordura boot (lined with gora-tex) for the first time I can recommend the haix black eagle boots (i have medium ones, just above the ankle). Sadly after a year or so the waterproof lining started leaking in the toe bend area. Nothing super bad, but I wouldn't go into the river in them. But they are fine for rainy days anyway. And they are breathable! Fine enough- in the recent(-ish) heat I preferred to wear civvy sneakers as better breathing, but when I compared haixes to the full-leather boots (even without the GTX)- they were still better. If there is a slightly wind or something they are awesome. Plus the sole is actually decent.

I have a pair on the way, 8L. Hopefully their idea of a wider fitting boot is better than Altbergs.
How wide are you feet? Alt-Berg do W and XW!

@Gearspotter

While i bow to your superior knowledge, I have always found it odd the requirement to have a breathable waterproof boot, rarely does one need it. Except when wanting to be ally and wear aku’s but realising your on sennybridge.

Latest Threads