New aircraft for the Red Arrows?

I suppose that it would be too much to ask that the supplying manufacturer picks up the tab for running the whole show as it is predominantly a sales and marketing outlet for their products.

It would be utterly shameful if any replacement were not British. They are currently 'flying the flag' in the East, can you imagine what a laughing stock they would be in any other aircraft?

It would be utterly shameful if any replacement were not British. They are currently 'flying the flag' in the East, can you imagine what a laughing stock they would be in any other aircraft?
The problem with that is there are no more "British" FJs to go with.

Hawk is on its way out, which was about the last fully British aircraft.

Typhoon and F-35 will form the RAF's FJ fleet, and both are collaborative efforts with other nations.

Still, good news overall. I suspect they might get the original Typhoons rather than buy new, at huge cost.

No doubt @jim30 will come along with a sensible response but I'd say let's go for Typhoon. Atkeast that would be another squadron of combat aircraft available if then balloon went up in the future.

Am I missing the obvious - it says new planes, not a new type of plane. I'm not aware Hawk is getting replaced as the FJ trainer, so mebbe the sparrows are just getting newer shinier hawks.

I'd like to see a Red Typhoon, that would be epic. But I would be surprised.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Due to cutbacks and new tech appearing on the scene, the Red Arrows will be getting this as a replacement:-
Red arrows.jpg

I've not heard the story.

However, if true, the only option I can conceive would be Hawk T2s. Far from 'being on their way out' this is effectively an entirely different aircraft to the original T1. If so, I suspect they will be partially funded by BAeS (who are already 'borrowing' one of ours) and/or UK Trade and Industry.

Regards,
MM

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
Why do they use Hawks as opposed to the Typhoon? Are the Hawks more manoeuvrable?

Why do they use Hawks as opposed to the Typhoon? Are the Hawks more manoeuvrable?
Alot cheaper per hour in terms to fly - there is a very good reason why the synthetic/actual training mix is changing to the point where the RAF/FAA is looking for 50/50 for Lightning

Cost. Plus, the Hawk is far more suited to a 9 ship aerobatic team's requirements.

That's why the Reds, Patroulle de France (Alpha Jets) and Frecce (MB339) are able to do far more intricate, flowing displays in comparison to teams like the Thunderbirds (F-16) and Blue Angels (FA-18 ) who focus on making noise and fast, close flybys but with gaps and fewer manoeuvres during the display.

Regards,
MM

The problem with that is there are no more "British" FJs to go with.

Hawk is on its way out, which was about the last fully British aircraft.

Typhoon and F-35 will form the RAF's FJ fleet, and both are collaborative efforts with other nations.

Still, good news overall. I suspect they might get the original Typhoons rather than buy new, at huge cost.

Hawks are still being made, just about, selling a load to India IIRC. Typhoon way too expensive for a dedicated display platform. If the crabs place an order for Hawks I'm sure they will get made.

I don't doubt any of the Hawk comments for a minute, but it's like the Land Rover. New shiny bits added regularly, but ultimately it's old. Would the MOD really pay hundreds of millions of pounds for say 15 aircraft to support the Reds? Google has it they cost about $30M a pop. That'd be nearly half a billion dollars!

Latest Threads