New ACF Rank and appointment

Looks like Hants and IOW ACF has re written all the manuals regarding rank:

They made up a new one!!!

WO1 (RSM) xxxxxxxxx AGC (RMP) (ACF)

Ive never seen so many brackets in one sentence. And as it seems that county HQ are happy with that rank, it must mean that hes the same as a real WO1 (RSM) AGC RMP??

Funny, I thought that it was just RSMI, (as hes not in the army in that postion) but call me old fashioned.....

Perhap's 5.56's incredible level of kit knowledge and desire to talk about it has earnt him WO1 in the ACF already? The title definitely sounds about right... (agc and rmp *shudder*)

crabby said:
Perhap's 5.56's incredible level of kit knowledge and desire to talk about it has earnt him WO1 in the ACF already? The title definitely sounds about right... (agc and rmp *shudder*)

No such beast as WO1 in the ACF in fact, no warrant officers at all

Warrant =thing hanging on my wall signed by Malcolm Rifkin in a very nice frame

True, no such thing as WO1 or 2, only SMI's.

However, there is an RSMI, so is there a CSMI? Its just ive never heard of a CSMI....

Xplosiverab said:
True, no such thing as WO1 or 2, only SMI's.

However, there is an RSMI, so is there a CSMI? Its just ive never heard of a CSMI....

Nope, an SMI doing the job of Company Sergeant Major is still SMI

I beleive I know this person. He did his 22 in the Regs, joined the TA and is on an FTRS to the cadets. He is a real Warrant Officer and earned his rank.

MightyBigEgo said:
I beleive I know this person. He did his 22 in the Regs, joined the TA and is on an FTRS to the cadets. He is a real Warrant Officer and earned his rank.
Yeah, the warrant he has is for his previous service, it doesnt carry over, RSMI not WO1(RSM)

Are you saying that someone who earned his rank in the Regs and TA with 25 years experience and a number of op tours under his belt is not allowed to carry his rank over to help run and organise the HQ (whilst on an FTRS, being paid by the army) of a youth organisation based on the army and which the army runs?

depends whos paying him

If he is still technically a reg/TA then yes

If he is a member of the ACF then no

Is this WO1 (RSM) xxxxxxxxx AGC (RMP) (ACF) an instructor, CAA or TSA?

In the county I belong to, when a new CAA is employed they hold the rank they left the army as. That is until they commission. They can also wear the cap badge they wore too.

If this fella is on FTRS he'll be a Training Safety Advisor and entitled to keep his rank.

HS12

If he was a Reg (FTRS is actually a role for a TA soldier, for the spotters) he would surely be just WO1 Joe Bloggs AGC (RMP) - or, more likely, WO1 Joe Bloggs RMP - the ACF post-nominal (not the correct term, I know) wouldn't come into the equation at all. I'm sure he must be very, very capable if he managed to become a WO1 in his previous service and full credit to the bloke for helping out in the ACF - there are many of his experience who would think the ACF was 'beneath them'.

C_P,
I am sure you are right. But regarding the brackets, all RMP are AGC (RMP), to distinguish them from AGC (SPS), AGC (MPGS), AGC (ALS) et al.
As he is not there as provost, but that RMP is his cap badge, I am assuming he is putting ACF in brackets to try to differentiate between the two, as he probably doesn't want any local unit to think there is an RMP post located at that point.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Re ACF SMI's and RSMI's using the WO1/2 title, I know they are not given a Warrent, but some counties expect them to use the WO title anyway. I also noticed that the latest pay review referes to them as WO1 WO2 so maybe there is a move afoot to give them Warrants.

Oh and does it really matter? It may be slightly sad people 'bumping themselves up' a bit - but isn't it just as sad getting worked up about it. He's not wearing medals he didn't earn or claiming to be in the SAS or any of the normal 'walty' nonsense. Please get a sense of perspective.

HS12 said:
Is this WO1 (RSM) xxxxxxxxx AGC (RMP) (ACF) an instructor, CAA or TSA?

In the county I belong to, when a new CAA is employed they hold the rank they left the army as. That is until they commission. They can also wear the cap badge they wore too.

If this fella is on FTRS he'll be a Training Safety Advisor and entitled to keep his rank.

HS12

Hes niether hes the new RSMI

The post of RSM or RSMI in the Cadet Force is an Honoury One! So he need not hold a Royal Warrant....

At the Army Foundation Collage at Harrogate, they have a 17 year old Junior RSM. Tell me he needs a Warrant as well!

As for Capbadges! I feel that all Adult Instructors & Officers should wear the Cap Badge that the County ACF are assigned. None of this wearing the Cap Badge of his old Regiment rubbish. If he earned (and can prove it) Para/Commando Wings he should wear them, but ALL Adults should wear the County ACF Cap Badge to show good example to the Cadets.

Country_Bumpkin said:
If he was a Reg (FTRS is actually a role for a TA soldier, for the spotters) he would surely be just WO1 Joe Bloggs AGC (RMP) - or, more likely, WO1 Joe Bloggs RMP - the ACF post-nominal (not the correct term, I know) wouldn't come into the equation at all. I'm sure he must be very, very capable if he managed to become a WO1 in his previous service and full credit to the bloke for helping out in the ACF - there are many of his experience who would think the ACF was 'beneath them'.
Nope, FTRS is for volunteer reservists and regular reservists. When I engaged on FTRS as an individual in 2001, I think about 40% of my intake were ex reg.

just to add to opinions voiced already: My old detachment commander was an ex WO1 with 22 years experience. After he joined the ACF he took the rank of SMI while awaiting his commission. As already stated, there is no such beast ast Warrant officer in the ACF, but I wouldn't like to be around my CSM if she was told that there's no such appointment as CSMI. She's great with the cadets, but I'm not tired of life just yet :) . Great forum, and I look forward to reading and contributing further.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
homicidal_bob ACF 63
sprjim ACF 642
slab OTC and ACF 12