New 7.62mm LMG?

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by petergriffen, Apr 20, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. On the EDA websiteEDA site, go to the EBB contract board and it's posted there, sorry can't directly link it here.
    or will it just be the Gympy again?

2. I have no idea but minimi is offered in 7.62mm

3. 7.62 Minimi in use by the RM in Afghan:
    Here

:roll:

4. meridian

meridian LE Good Egg (charities)

Its only for 190 weapons?

5. Picture 5 Looks like a GPMG to me (albeit with the extended cocking handle for veh mounting) and an incompetent sub-editor...

...but I could be wrong.

6. agreed, based on length.

7. no. your spot on.

8. Definitely a GPMG/MAG, if you look at the links to the pages on 7.62mm Minimis they are quite different looking, basically a slightly bigger version of the normal 5.56mm Minimi. If UK is only buying 190 they are probably for special forces use. As someone else posted USSOCOM has 7.62mm Minimis however most other US forces have MAGs.

9. Based on length?? I'd agree, based on the fact that it is a GPMG, and looks nothing like a minimi.

10. exactly. its a fcukload longer. when you're looking at it on a blackberry screen it's not quite as easy as your computer screen.

11. Could be some confusion and it is actually 190 7.62mm 'systems' for sharp shooters. Certainly being looked at to be used by the number 2 in a sniper pair. HK417 is quite high up on the favourites but who knows; they will probably procure a converted SMLE or similar!

12. Dont know what contract your reading, but this one says
    Supply of 7.62mm Light Weight Machine Guns (LMG)
    http://www.eda.europa.eu/ebbweb/Default.aspx

13. The specification calls for the use of belted ammuntion, so I doubt 417 will be a contender. Target weight of 7Kg, Max of 9...

14. Can't see it being anything other than the 7.62 Minimi.

COuld be for vehicle mounting I suppose but the SF option seems most likely.