New(46 year old) RAF spy planes

Well the RAF always need to have AC in storage. Got to have spares. At least the hawk has plenty of roles it can forfill even if it is an advanced trainer. Tucano is just a slow, noisey trainer that cannot fly in a straight line due to it's prop yaw.

Perhaps the aircraft are stored as attrition replacements / replacements for aircraft that have run out of hours? Always have a reserve..........

tropper66 said:
another point that came to light is that every time a C17 lands at Lynham they shut the base down for about four hours,for the repatriation service, and without wishing to sound heartless this is causing massive disruption to the servicing of the C130 fleet as these events are now happening almost twice a week
Complete and utter bullocks, are you at LYNE?

Yes, when a repatriation is held, the base does go into 'Respect' mode, of course it does and I honestly can not think of anyone there from serviceman to contractor that would have it any other way, it is after all the families day and they are our guests for the day (although better circumstances would of course be preferred).

As to disruption on the servicing there are far greater factors such as the lack of kit and poor investment in the infrastructur that effect the servicing, do not blame it on the repariations.

snapper said:
tropper66 said:
another point that came to light is that every time a C17 lands at Lynham they shut the base down for about four hours,for the repatriation service, and without wishing to sound heartless this is causing massive disruption to the servicing of the C130 fleet as these events are now happening almost twice a week
Complete and utter bullocks, are you at LYNE?

Yes, when a repatriation is held, the base does go into 'Respect' mode, of course it does and I honestly can not think of anyone there from serviceman to contractor that would have it any other way, it is after all the families day and they are our guests for the day (although better circumstances would of course be preferred).

As to disruption on the servicing there are far greater factors such as the lack of kit and poor investment in the infrastructur that effect the servicing, do not blame it on the repariations.
It's from "Hansard" and is what the Minister, Bramell, said

Widow_69 said:
I don't believe tropper talks bollacks? You must be mistaken. I see Tropper for my Annual CR check. Tropper is STAVEVAL anything that flys .
I gave up flying a long time ago, eyesight, but it does not mean I cant keep up with whats going on in the Aviation world

tropper66 said:
The secretary of State for defence Bob Ainsworth confirmed on March 22 that the RAF are getting three new "Rivet Joint " spyplanes KC-135Rs 64-14835, 64-14836, 64-14840 al built in fiscal year 1964 which are older than the Nimrod R1s they replace
Ordered in Fiscal year 64 (01 July 1963 to 30 June 1964),but delivered later than that(probably during 1965).

Widow_69 said:
Good on tropper however mate you should know that everything you read may not be correct.
Thats why I post on discusion forums like this

All 3 services pretty much have aircraft of all types in 'storage'. It's part of the normal fleet management cycle with others being used as a source of spares.

Regards to your good self Widow; I hope that you're keeping well and getting a bit of time at home.

Regards,
MM

I can honestly say I almost feel like crying, I thought Mk.1 Nimrods had a fair amount of time left on the clock after reletively stressless lives...

RJ is a great aircraft but I can't help but think that with a little foresight the MoD could've satisfied MPA and ELINT A/C requirements in a single swift move and saved a few quid by having Shorts/BAE tool up for batch of 20 odd new builds

the US do have alot of old aircraft with very little hours racked up, a point that is often raised all over the internet to pleasure certains peoples flights of fancy (If I ever read about HMS Eagle and S-2 Trackers/Tracers in 1982 again...) so age is of relatively little importance.

It does suprise me that McBroon hasn't decided he's going to re-engine them with BR715 or similar

I may be barking up the wrong tree, but one other thing that came up in Air Forces monthly was the lack of martime capablity and losing the ability to "de-louse" the deterrent fleet when they leave Faslane.

If true, seems a bit of a waste of time sending them to sea!

Gadge

tropper66 said:
flamingo said:
OK MM, you sold it to me, I'm more than happy to accept your expert opinion, not that my agreement matters!!!

(Good luck getting Tropper to agree, though!)
I do agree, Rivet Joint is a great bit of kit but you might have thought that the MOD could have seen this coming at the moment we dont have any Elint/sigint/SAR/Maritime/ fixed wing aircraft and in the FOI request put in by AFmonthly we really are in the crap, of the C130Js only 12 were active and only 5 of the 130Ks, 4 C17s,6 VC10s,3 Tristars. How they manage to keep the airbridge going beggers beliefe. they must be working their arrse off to keep them all in the air, but for how long can this f**k up go on.

My bold. Depends on how you define 'active' - that sounds to me like the figures refer to what is termed the 'daily offer' of AT for tasking to DSCOM. It is not the number of airframes that are available as a 'surge'. For example there are, as you know, 9 Tri* of which 7 (3 x C2, 4 x KC1) are usable as pax movers, of those 7, 3 is a likely 'offer' but with engineering and crew surged and other non-op tasks cancelled, more could be made available.

But you're right, it is a miracle we get anyone to operations given the resource and operational constraints and the years of ATF underfunding - something I have harped on about for years!

Bubbles (basking in the reflected glory of being at least partly responsible for the procurement of C17s 5, 6 and 7!)