New 2021 Hayabusa Gen 3

RRV8

GCM
Hi All,

I've been a Busa owner for 17+ years now having bought my first secondhand RY in 2003. I've now got a mint bronze RX Gen-1 (which I dont use) and a silver K9 Gen-2 which is a very nice machine (IMO).

Anyway, back in February I received a letter from Suzuki asking if I would be interested in the new Gen-3 and, finally, today, I got the chance to conduct a viewing.

Stats-wise the Gen-3 has eight less horses than the Gen-2; a bit less torque; the tank is 1-litre smaller than previous and the fuel economy has worsened by 15% while the tank range has reduced from 160-miles to around 120.

.........so not exactly an improvement on the Gen-2 albeit the new bike has a tonne of electronic gizmos and its low-mid range is slightly improved (but only by 0.1 seconds on a 0-60mph sprint). The asking price is also a chunky £16,800 OTR with the optional seat hump included.

Well, guys, I'm really not sure about it and at that price I really wasn't that enamored enough to think about selling a kidney to pay for it. If I'm 100% honest with you then I'm rather disappointed in the bike. It feels exactly like a Gen-2 with just a few body and tech mods but nothing major in terms of making the Gen-3 I real record breaker.

I'm just wondering if any of you have had a chance to look at the new bike - or have any thoughts on it.

Here's a couple of pics of the silver one which up close looks dull and uninspiring. The black gloss option would have to be the best one but that's just me. Suzuki have made 180 units available until the end of Sep-21 of which 30 will be the silver type.

Cheers everyone,

R

.......a couple of pics for you albeit when its away from under the showroom lights then it really does look dull:
20210427_111944.jpg

20210427_111927.jpg

20210427_111920.jpg

20210427_111912.jpg

Last edited:
At 120 miles a tank I guess they are not aiming at the continental cruising/holiday touring market.
Looks comfy enough for the rider but I would not like to be pillion on it for any distance at all.
We had one on our surveillance team in a previous life, and the now 120 miles endurance would really be pushing it with mostly 2nd and 3rd gear round town and lots of angry torque amongst traffic.
Exactly what market, except for middle-aged blokes with disposable income, are they aiming for do you think?
Oh, and did you get a go on it?

RRV8

GCM
Exactly what market, except for middle-aged blokes with disposable income, are they aiming for do you think?
Oh, and did you get a go on it?

I picked out this point because I think it's bang on the money. I can't see many young ones wanting a bike like this and certainly not when there's so many other proven machines out there.

....so it looks to be targeted at the older farts like me (not too old but getting there) who already have the Busa affiliation.

Also, nope, not been out on it so can't comment on handling but I don't suspect much of a difference in all honesty.

Thanks for the post-up ;-)

My lunatic Sapper mate had an unrestricted W reg gen 1 in Blue and Silver... He now has a Gen 2 Nuclear Tangerine as he calls it. It has had stuff done to it... Don't ask me what but it accelerates like the Millennium Falcon.

I was chatting to him about the new Hayabusa, he doesn't like it, he REALLY doesn't like it at all, his was on stands outside his house being cleaned to death as usual, I swear that bike has more polish on it than Mr Sheen owns!

His verdict on the new one.

"it looks shit, it looks slow, its a generic GSXR , it's faded into the background, a ZZR1400 looks better and is faster, Suzuki have fucked up"

Image then, can't see too many people using them for work purposes with that range.
Even for commuting at a push (but only if you had secure parking too), London to Nottingham on a tank full would not sell it to me at all.
I'll stick to me old trusty FJ1100A instead, at my age image went well out of the window a while ago and I now may have better things to spend £16,800 on.

My life expectancy may turn out to be the same though!

TamH70

MIA
Not a biker, never have been, but if that was a Gen-1 GSX-1100 Katana, and I had the cash, it'd be my bike yesterday. The one in the OP looks like flash for the sake of it. Disappointing from Suzuki.

RRV8

GCM
My lunatic Sapper mate had an unrestricted W reg gen 1 in Blue and Silver... He now has a Gen 2 Nuclear Tangerine as he calls it. It has had stuff done to it... Don't ask me what but it accelerates like the Millennium Falcon.

I was chatting to him about the new Hayabusa, he doesn't like it, he REALLY doesn't like it at all, his was on stands outside his house being cleaned to death as usual, I swear that bike has more polish on it than Mr Sheen owns!

"it looks shit, it looks slow, its a generic GSXR , it's faded into the background, a ZZR1400 looks better and is faster, Suzuki have fucked up"

The 'verdict bit' seems to be the general consensus - it really does seem that Suzuki has buggered this one up and has taken the easy option.

RRV8

GCM
It'll only appeal to a few of us on here but has anyone seen the Bennett's review which ends in an interview with the boss of Suzuki GB. I hope the link works.

I just get the distinct impression from the whole 18-minute video that Suzuki couldn't be arsed to do much with the bike.

However, the Suzuki guy does seem really chuffed with himself when he says "we sold half the stock immediately on release" but he doesn't mention that 'half' only equates to 90 bikes.

Wow, 90-units; thats not exactly a huge figure!! I've just been onto eBay and there's already cancelled orders coming through on the net.

At this rate I reckon the launch and sale of the new Suzuki Hayabusa is going to be one of the biggest flops for a while.

At this rate (and as per @harrythebastard mentioned on price), I think I may just wait a couple of years and buy a mint version for half price.......and let some other sucker absorb a huge financial loss.

All the best,

R

Camm1

LE

Barry?

This thread makes me sad. I bought a new 'Busa when they first came to UK in early 2000 (traded in my TL1000S) and absolutely loved it. It was standard other than the Skorpion carbon end cans (which sounded mint). I did well over 60k miles on it in the 7 years I had it in all weathers and commuted 110 miles a day on it for a couple of years (I added heated grips at that point and thanked God for Metzeler dual compound touring tyres). It was a fantastic bike: comfortable, fast (Brize to Washington T&W in 3-ish hours including 2 fuel stops), good looking, handled well for a big bike even two up. To hear that the new one is a let down is very sad news.

RRV8

GCM
I don't normally complain about things but on this occassion I felt compelled to send a note to Suzuki Customer Services telling them that "Suzuki R&D should put some effort in next time when designing a bike!".

OK, it'll make sod-all difference but if everyone did it.....

That said, I think the poor sales figures will probably give them an indicator to show that they need to pick up their game.

My Dad (50's-60's bikes) used to say that my bikes (GPZ,TLR, GSXR, original Blade) didn't look like real bikes.

I look at what is being turned out nowadays and realise that I am turing into my dad. Modern bikes really don't do anything for me looks wise.

RRV8

GCM
The one positive thing about the release of the Gen-3 Busa is that it appears to have helped raise the resale price of the Gen-2s.

Also, I've just looked on eBay and it's surprising what great Gen-2 bikes can be had for half the cost of a new Busa. Here's one screenshot with the lowest bike being a 2015 model.

Note: You need to add about £350 to the advertised MY21 model price to cover the cost of the hump and the OTR price.

20210504_121323.jpg

RRV8

GCM
Final one from me:

What I don't understand is why the UK bikes are so expensive compared to the likes of the US etc.

If we use the current exchange rate of £1 to $1.39 then a new Gen-3 in the US costs £13,380 ($18,599 MSRP) as opposed to our UK Price of £16,650 OTR.

Furthermore, there's one Big Suzuki dealer in the US that until recently was selling the new Gen-3 for £11,351 ($15,779).

We really do get stuffed over here!

Latest Threads