Never Volunteer for Anything - Latin translation needed

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by BuggerAll, Jan 23, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I'm sitting here up to my eyeballs in army inspired nif naff and trivia.

Its a self inflicted wound as I volunteered for it. 4 times. I joined the TA and the ACF and then said I'd do the various stuff...

So it reminded me of that old adage: never volunteer for anything.

I thought it might be fun to translate it to Latin and write it on the inside of my hat to remind me in future. I've managed to come up with:

'nunquam voluntarius pro quisquam'

but I wondered if anyone can come up with something more interesting, if less academically correct, along the lines of 'nil carborundum illigitimi'

Greek would do...

2. ??? ???????????? ?????????? ???? ??? ??????

there you go (never volunteer for anything)

3. Greek would be:

??? ???????????? ?????????? ???? ??? ??????

ha, the site cant write Greek!

4. nekad br?vpr?t?gs for jebkas

You did say Latvian didn't you?

5. sorry,i ve got on an image

Attached Files:

6. That is exactly the translation that I make it (using an online translator) you would have to get guidance from a Latin teacher as to its accuracy as I have found that some of the on line translators can mangle the meaning at times.

7. The translator you used is shoite!

8. nunquam - nobody, IIRC?

People called Rome they go the house?

9. Nunquam is Never. As in Nunc aut Nunquam - Now or Never.

10. I have a latin speaking ex-missus, who is also Greek. If you like I can email her for a good translation of 'Never volunteer for anything'.

Cheers.

11. On a similar subject...

Don't suppose anyone knows what '**** this for a game of soldiers' is in Latin? Bloke I know has a t-shirt with it on, but I can't quite remember how it goes...

12. Email sent off...awaiting reply, but she's Greek and works to Greek time. It could be several months, knowing her.

13. puck this for a game of soldiers = Hic fute ludus milatorem
    a couple of others are . . . .
    >Semper in excrementum sed fundum mutate.=(Always in the sh1t but the depth varies)
    >nunc est bibendum (now is the time to drink)
    >Tutene atque cuius exercitus?=You and whose army?
    >Fute te ipsum et caballum tuum=F*ck you and the horse you rode in on
    >Hic fute ludus milatorem=F*ck this for a game of soldiers
    >Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.=Anything said in Latin sounds profound.
    >A verbis ad verbera - From words to blows
    >Ab asino lanam - Wool from an ass, blood from a stone impossible
    >Ab intestato - Having made no will
    >Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit - To boldly go where no man has gone before
    >Amat victoria curam - Victory favors those who take pains
    >Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis >exponebantur ad necem - In the good old days, children like you were left to perish on windswept crags
    >Aspice, officio fungeris sine spe honoris amplioris - Face it, you're stuck in a dead end job
    >Cotidie damnatur qui semper timet - The man who is constantly in fear is every day condemned.
    >Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes - If you can read this, you're overeducated
    >Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit - To boldly go where no man has gone before
    >Age. Fac ut gaudeam - Go ahead. Make my day!
    >Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem =In the good old days, children like you were left to perish on windswept crags
    >Apudne te vel me? - Your place or mine?
    >Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam - I have a catapult. Give me all your money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head
    >Mater tua criceta fuit, et pater tuo redoluit bacarum sambucus - Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries
    >Nemo saltat sobrius nisi forte insanit - Nobody dances sober unless he's insane
    >Non Gradus Anus Rodentum! - Not Worth A Rats Ass!
    >Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari? - How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?
    >Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum=Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe.
    >Da mihi pectorum tuam- give me your breasts.
    >Pinguis piger ebrius sunt - we are fat, lazy drunks.
    >vidi, vici, veni - I saw, I conquered, I came.
    >Omnes pretio, venali sunt - All can be bought, or have a price.
    >CATAPULTAM HABEO. NISI PECUNIAM OMNEM MIHI DABIS, AD CAPUT TUUM SAXUM IMMANE MITTAM=I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.
    >QUIDUID ID ESET TIMEO PUELLAS ET OSCULA DANTES=Whatever it is, I fear the girls, even when they kiss.
    >CONFACIMUS NAVEGEMUS=F*ck it -- let's go sailing.
    >IN VINO VERITAS=In wine is truth.
    >PERITE=F*ck off! (really "go through (to the netherworld)")
    >NUNC EST BIBENDUM=Now it's time to drink.
    >Te audire non possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure.
    I can't hear you. I have a banana in my ear.
    >Totum dependeat.
    Let it all hang out.
    >Taurus excreta cerebrum vincit.
    Bullshit baffles brains.
    >Vescere bracis meis.=Eat my shorts.
    >Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.=If Caesar were alive, you'd be chained to an oar.
    >Carpe Felix.=Seize the pussy...

i got them off here but i don't know how to put links through, sorry

oddz
    x

14. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

A version of that was famously used by US Army Engineers in serving as "Tunnel Rats" as their motto:

[​IMG]

15. alternately if you never volunteer for anything, you are:

gvtless civicvs cvnt