Never Volunteer for Anything - Latin translation needed

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I'm sitting here up to my eyeballs in army inspired nif naff and trivia.

Its a self inflicted wound as I volunteered for it. 4 times. I joined the TA and the ACF and then said I'd do the various stuff...

So it reminded me of that old adage: never volunteer for anything.

I thought it might be fun to translate it to Latin and write it on the inside of my hat to remind me in future. I've managed to come up with:

'nunquam voluntarius pro quisquam'

but I wondered if anyone can come up with something more interesting, if less academically correct, along the lines of 'nil carborundum illigitimi'

Greek would do...

??? ???????????? ?????????? ???? ??? ??????

there you go (never volunteer for anything)

Greek would be:

??? ???????????? ?????????? ???? ??? ??????

ha, the site cant write Greek!

nekad br?vpr?t?gs for jebkas

You did say Latvian didn't you?

sorry,i ve got on an image

Attachments

That is exactly the translation that I make it (using an online translator) you would have to get guidance from a Latin teacher as to its accuracy as I have found that some of the on line translators can mangle the meaning at times.

Nunquam is Never. As in Nunc aut Nunquam - Now or Never.

On a similar subject...

Don't suppose anyone knows what '**** this for a game of soldiers' is in Latin? Bloke I know has a t-shirt with it on, but I can't quite remember how it goes...

puck this for a game of soldiers = Hic fute ludus milatorem
a couple of others are . . . .
>Semper in excrementum sed fundum mutate.=(Always in the sh1t but the depth varies)
>nunc est bibendum (now is the time to drink)
>Tutene atque cuius exercitus?=You and whose army?
>Fute te ipsum et caballum tuum=F*ck you and the horse you rode in on
>Hic fute ludus milatorem=F*ck this for a game of soldiers
>Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.=Anything said in Latin sounds profound.
>A verbis ad verbera - From words to blows
>Ab asino lanam - Wool from an ass, blood from a stone impossible
>Ab intestato - Having made no will
>Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit - To boldly go where no man has gone before
>Amat victoria curam - Victory favors those who take pains
>Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis >exponebantur ad necem - In the good old days, children like you were left to perish on windswept crags
>Aspice, officio fungeris sine spe honoris amplioris - Face it, you're stuck in a dead end job
>Cotidie damnatur qui semper timet - The man who is constantly in fear is every day condemned.
>Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes - If you can read this, you're overeducated
>Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit - To boldly go where no man has gone before
>Age. Fac ut gaudeam - Go ahead. Make my day!
>Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem =In the good old days, children like you were left to perish on windswept crags
>Apudne te vel me? - Your place or mine?
>Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam - I have a catapult. Give me all your money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head
>Mater tua criceta fuit, et pater tuo redoluit bacarum sambucus - Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries
>Nemo saltat sobrius nisi forte insanit - Nobody dances sober unless he's insane
>Non Gradus Anus Rodentum! - Not Worth A Rats Ass!
>Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari? - How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?
>Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum=Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe.
>Da mihi pectorum tuam- give me your breasts.
>Pinguis piger ebrius sunt - we are fat, lazy drunks.
>vidi, vici, veni - I saw, I conquered, I came.
>Omnes pretio, venali sunt - All can be bought, or have a price.
>CATAPULTAM HABEO. NISI PECUNIAM OMNEM MIHI DABIS, AD CAPUT TUUM SAXUM IMMANE MITTAM=I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.
>QUIDUID ID ESET TIMEO PUELLAS ET OSCULA DANTES=Whatever it is, I fear the girls, even when they kiss.
>CONFACIMUS NAVEGEMUS=F*ck it -- let's go sailing.
>IN VINO VERITAS=In wine is truth.
>PERITE=F*ck off! (really "go through (to the netherworld)")
>NUNC EST BIBENDUM=Now it's time to drink.
>Te audire non possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure.
I can't hear you. I have a banana in my ear.
>Totum dependeat.
Let it all hang out.
>Taurus excreta cerebrum vincit.
Bullshit baffles brains.
>Vescere bracis meis.=Eat my shorts.
>Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.=If Caesar were alive, you'd be chained to an oar.
>Carpe Felix.=Seize the pussy...

i got them off here but i don't know how to put links through, sorry

oddz
x

RP578

LE
Book Reviewer
pyscho-demented-bush-rat said:
>Non Gradus Anus Rodentum! - Not Worth A Rats Ass!
A version of that was famously used by US Army Engineers in serving as "Tunnel Rats" as their motto:

Nunquam voluntarius esse - never be a volunteer - ought to do it. The for anything is taken care of in Latin by the conditional implications of "nunquam". However I should say it is a long time since I picked up my Eating Primer! I last wielded Latin in anger during my medieval history degree - so 1983...Deus, venaribilis sum

pyscho-demented-bush-rat said:
puck this for a game of soldiers = Hic fute ludus milatorem
a couple of others are . . . .
>Semper in excrementum sed fundum mutate.=(Always in the sh1t but the depth varies)
etc x
Excellent selection of quotes. must learn the latin for the ones I use!

Hello all, I'm new here (though I have been a regular reader of the site for a while, as I'm in the process of, well, volunteering to serve HM, and find the site a useful source of information for what I might be getting myself in for). I saw this thread and thought I might help...

Quite a few of the offerings here have 'numquam', which isn't quite right, because 'numquam' does mean 'never', but as an adverb. You need a verb (it's a command, 'don't ever do it'), so use 'noli' (in the imperative mood) together with 'umquam' ('ever') to get 'noli umquam' meaning 'be unwilling ever'...putting it all together, you have:

Noli umquam voluntarius esse

which is literally 'be unwilling ever a volunteer to be' but would be translated by a literate person as 'never be a volunteer'. However, 'voluntarius' specifically referred to 'miles voluntarius', a voluntary as opposed to conscript soldier, so it doesn't quite carry the connotation you want (though maybe...).

Thus,

Noli umquam te quidpiam offere

is better. It means: 'be unwilling ever to offer you for anything', or - and here it is - 'never volunteer for anything', probably a phrase which passed many a legionary's lips as he realised just what Caesar's 'special mission' for him involved.

Latin word order is a bugger (reading the grammar-riddled monstrousness I wrote above reminds me of the 'graffiti scene' in Monty Python's 'Life of Brian'; it seems with Latin that is inescapable. Ah well.).

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Thanks - I think. BTB WTF is a 'MissallaLandicia'. Latin for a spicy oriental dish?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
ScouseD The NAAFI Bar 8
Litotes The NAAFI Bar 25
Gas Gas Gas Current Affairs, News and Analysis 0