Never trust a Photo Copier

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by happybonzo, Feb 17, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Here's a little item to brighten your day regarding the security or otherwise of Photo Copiers. It seems the modern ones have a hard drive in them.
    Does anyone check to see if these are removed and destroyed when the machines are disposed of? From this item on CBS News it would seem that no -one does.

Never Trust a Photo Copier

2. You worried about photcopying your arrse at the Christmas party?

3. Photo-copiers, and Printers have HDDs in them nowadays (not all of them obviously)

We have to remove these and blanco/destroy these upon disposal of the printer for obvious reasons.

4. The Hard Drives in photocopiers are for you to copy and store commonly used forms so they can be printed out even if the last one from the pile is used before it can be copied. They don't copy everything you photocopy.

Of course, you should delete these forms before disposing of the photocopier and remember, delete isn't always 'delete'. Something to be aware of, not to panic about.

Sent from my iPad using ARRSE

5. The earliest copiers were made by the yanks and Xerox supplied them to the Russki's too, there's were specially adapted to take copies of any documents xeroxed - microfilm etc.

6. They also leave a near invisible coding when printing - so every copy can be traced back to the originating machine.

7. I bloody am ... my arrse is copyrighted!

8. Negligent-Discharge

Negligent-Discharge LE Book Reviewer

Never trust a photocopier.... 'cos they don't tell you you've left your feckin c.v. or pin-up underneath the hood... got bollocked by the OC for that years ago.

9. I didn't realise that they could identify the sitter by the pimples on their arrse...is it like a fingerprint?

10. Mine are currently labelled "Marie". I don't think she's noticed they're not in the drawer yet.

11. I've looked on the Staff Directory and we don't have a Calvin Klein anywhere in the organisation....

12. There was a bit of a Data Protection flap about this but no idea what, if anything, happened as a result:

European Parliament Written Questions
    Subject: Tracking codes in photocopiers and colour laser printers

Written question - Tracking codes in photocopiers and colour laser printers - E-5724/2007

Answer:

"To the extent that individuals may be identified through material printed or copied using certain equipment, such processing may give rise to the violation of fundamental human rights, namely the right to privacy and private life. It also might violate the right to protection of personal data.

The protection of privacy is ensured by Article 8 of the Convention of Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms. The Charter of Fundamental Rights of the European Union, in Article 7, provides for the protection of private and family life, home and communication, and in Article 8, for the protection of personal data.

Directive 95/46/EC of Parliament and of the Council of 24 October 1995 on the protection of individuals with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data (‘Data Protection Directive’)(1) ensures the protection of personal data and applies regardless of the technology used for the processing of personal data."

Answer to a written question - Tracking codes in photocopiers and colour laser printers - E-5724/2007

13. You expect us to believe you fit into maddies knickers? pull the other one fatty.

14. Who's Maddie?

15. Show OFF!!!!!!!!