Never mind hot desking - share your Head office

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Back in the day, I used to think the lunatics had taken over the asylum......they were just getting revved up...
January 1, 2013 7:21 pm

Civil servants oppose DfT relocation plan
By Jim Pickard and George Parker

A battle has broken out in Whitehall over plans to rehouse the Department for Transport inside the Ministry of Defence’s sprawling riverside headquarters half a mile away.

The move has been proposed behind the scenes as part of Francis Maude’s wider push to cut spending across the civil service. But it is being resisted by officials from both departments.

Mr Maude, the Cabinet Office minister, is determined to squeeze billions from procurement, real estate and staff costs in support of the coalition’s austerity drive.

Cabinet Office officials believe the MoD, with its vast premises beside the Thames, is among the least efficient property users in Whitehall and are determined to squeeze another, smaller department into the building. “It is underused . . . and we believe there is no reason for having it underoccupied,” said one government aide.

The DfT is nearing the end of its lease at Great Minster House on Marsham Street in Victoria. But transport officials are concerned that space at the MoD would be more expensive than its current building. Meanwhile, defence officials are fighting the plan strenuously on the basis that it could compromise security. They say they need more space than other departments because of defence training activities in the building.

However, those backing the plan argue there are precedents for departments using “glass wall separation” to retain privacy for more sensitive occupants. For example, counter-terrorism staff at the Home Office are kept apart from other civil servants while the Cabinet Office has a separate space for the national security secretariat.

The Cabinet Office has led the way on the property drive, shifting 1,000 civil servants into the Treasury and selling the landmark Admiralty Arch to a hotel developer to raise £60m.

The Department for International Development will later this year vacate its office on Palace Street – near Buckingham Palace – and move into 22-26 Whitehall, previously occupied by the Cabinet Office.

The government has had to pay millions of pounds to break DfID’s lease but believes the deal will save £60m by the end of the decade.

The work is being overseen by the Efficiency and Reform Group, part of the Cabinet Office, as part of the government’s drive to sell unnecessary buildings and break leases on underused property.

Ministers say that since May 2010 the government has exited more than 1,000 buildings and cut the running costs of its estate by more than £350m.

I do wonder if anyone from Cabinet Office has ever actually been inside MB....

Forastero

LE
Well the seventh floor is empty and the eighth is virtually empty.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
The DfT is nearing the end of its lease at Great Minster House on Marsham Street in Victoria. But transport officials are concerned that space at the MoD would be more expensive than its current building.
Got to love this mentality. Disposing of one building and moving one department into an under-utilised building is mysteriously more expensive than maintaining two separate buildings.

Meanwhile, defence officials are fighting the plan strenuously on the basis that it could compromise security. They say they need more space than other departments because of defence training activities in the building.
Well the seventh floor is empty and the eighth is virtually empty.
Please, please don't cut down on the size of my empire...

Ministers say that since May 2010 the government has exited more than 1,000 buildings and cut the running costs of its estate by more than £350m.
Sadly £350 million is a drop in the ocean compared to the amount of general waste in government. But at least efforts are being made to reduce the insanity.

Wordsmith

[MOD] say they need more space than other departments because of defence training activities in the building.

I left the place in Aug 2008, but I don't recall much in the way of exercises and training taking place in MB.

Back in the day, I used to think the lunatics had taken over the asylum......they were just getting revved up...

I do wonder if anyone from Cabinet Office has ever actually been inside MB....

I saw folks from the CO in the bowels of MB in '92. Don't know if they ever escaped

I left the place in Aug 2008, but I don't recall much in the way of exercises and training taking place in MB.
They used to go on in "The Bunker". That was in the days before the move to Metropole and the refurbishment though.

Eeeeeh, you could still smoke in the cafe then. Them were the days.

It's a good idea, perhaps we should extend it to parliament as well. The Palace of Westminster could in reality house several governments, we could shoehorn the Welsh assembly and that Scottish shower in there and save billions in the process!

It's a good idea, perhaps we should extend it to parliament as well. The Palace of Westminster could in reality house several governments, we could shoehorn the Welsh assembly and that Scottish shower in there and save billions in the process!
We could put alex salmon in Big Ben.

Got to love this mentality. Disposing of one building and moving one department into an under-utilised building is mysteriously more expensive than maintaining two separate buildings.

In a few local towns the Post Office has moved out of the "real" post office building and is now set up in rented premises near by. The space in the vacated post offcies appears to be unused even after four of so years. This, I am told, is due to the vacated buildings being owned by Royal Mail whereas the post offices is run by Post Office Counters. This is from the same set of dawks spent a fortune re- branding Royal Mail as Cosiigina. Talk about the lunatics running the asylum isn't in it. They are being paid lots of dosh to run it down

Just get them to work from home...
I was thinking the opposite actually, expect MB dwellers to receive a dictum banning working from home until further notice in order to 'demonstrate the business case for the utility of existing work premises' or something like that.

Is St Giles court still in use? LCT moved out of there back in the 90's but there were still some people in it in some frogs in 99. I t was supposed to shut down but never did whislt I visited the place.