Never mind Brits in Nam- what about Yanks in the Falklands?

Steven said:
Markintime said:
Perhaps this is not a subject for open discussion on a forum such as this. Don't give The Scum or any other Journo fuel to produce headlines and spark official investigations, sh1t happens in war, let's leave it at that.
There won't be an official investigation and do you want to know why.

Because the whole story is Bullsh1t thats why.

You do realise that you have just accused X members of the Paras of war crimes/murder/conscpiracy/any number of dishonourable offences.

I bet the guys (and their friends and family) who were there are chuffed to hear internet/barstool fcukwits maligning thier memories.
Their already has been an investigation in to this some time after Vince Bramley's Book Excursion to Hell. Nothing was found but then the Island is big enough to stash a few Mercs.

Dave

Devilishdave said:
Nothing was found but then the Island is big enough to stash a few Mercs.
Its also big enough to accomodate the Loch Ness monsters in-laws and a sizeable community of Yetis.

Devilishdave said:
. Nothing was found but then the Island is big enough to stash a few Mercs.

Dave
I'd have thought that some kind of 4x4 would be more appropriate, a Discovery for example.

I've also heard that a large group of Americans were captured by the Brits in the Falklands.

The SAS had them under guard in a local home where they were entertained by soccer games on VHS for 24 hours a day and days on end until it was decided what to do with them.

One by one they each died of sheer boredom; some drowned by their own drool, others numbed by the sight of men kicking a ball up and down a field accomplishing absolutely nothing for hours had a complete shutdown of their internal organs, two were found self-mutilated with forks in their eyes and the last was reported to have committed suicide by drinking drain cleaner.

He was still alive when they found him, pointing at the TV, coughing up blood, lung and stomach and mumbling 'the horror, the horror'.

F'ing war crime? Perhaps.

Is it too obvious to suggest that many of the Argies who spoke english did so in a North American accent?

Just a thought.

They all spoke like Dagoes, any septics would have stood out like a bulldogs bollox.

Steven said:
Markintime said:
Perhaps this is not a subject for open discussion on a forum such as this. Don't give The Scum or any other Journo fuel to produce headlines and spark official investigations, sh1t happens in war, let's leave it at that.
There won't be an official investigation and do you want to know why.

Because the whole story is Bullsh1t thats why.

You do realise that you have just accused X members of the Paras of war crimes/murder/conscpiracy/any number of dishonourable offences.

I bet the guys (and their friends and family) who were there are chuffed to hear internet/barstool fcukwits maligning thier memories.
I didn't suggest that it was members of the Parachute Regiment that were involved in any way other than recounting some tall stories about an incident that probably didn't happen.

The fact that there were American accents heard amongst the Argies is not surprising as many conscripted 'kids' had been to US Colleges.

In any case there were a number of US civilians living there at the time of the attack. AP reported the following in 82:

" The 17 United States citizens still on the Falkland Islands are believed to have come through the final British assault on Stanley without injuries, a United States Embassy spokesman here said today.

The spokesman, Lawrence Estes, said the 17 were in contact with the embassy on Friday and were then ''nervous and tense'' but ''physically fine.''

''Given the information we have on the final assault, we do not believe any Americans were hurt,'' he said. The embassy was trying to re-establish contact with the Americans. There were 31 American citizens on the Falklands when Argentina seized the islands on April 2, the embassy said. The 17 who did not leave are almost all members of the Bahai religious sect and were living in Stanley. "

Also Reuters reported this at the time:

" REUTERS
Published: August 23, 1982
The Ministry of Defense today rejected a newspaper report today that United States mercenaries fought alongside Argentine soldiers in the Falklands conflict.

The Observer reported that a British soldier in the Third Parachute Regiment was convinced that two prisoners taken during the battle of Mount Longdon were United States citizens and part of a mercenary force.

A Ministry of Defense spokesman said: ''We have no formal knowledge of an incident of this kind. Clearly if there had been any known incident of this type we would have done something before now.''

Officials noted that Argentina's special 601st Regiment contained several Anglo-Argentines, some of whom were educated in the United States. "

I suspect I was the victim of a hoax, Why? for as Steven says 'Because the whole story is Bullsh1t thats why'

RP578

LE
Book Reviewer
Virgil said:
I've also heard that a large group of Americans were captured by the Brits in the Falklands.

The SAS had them under guard in a local home where they were entertained by soccer games on VHS for 24 hours a day and days on end until it was decided what to do with them.

One by one they each died of sheer boredom; some drowned by their own drool, others numbed by the sight of men kicking a ball up and down a field accomplishing absolutely nothing for hours had a complete shutdown of their internal organs, two were found self-mutilated with forks in their eyes and the last was reported to have committed suicide by drinking drain cleaner.

He was still alive when they found him, pointing at the TV, coughing up blood, lung and stomach and mumbling 'the horror, the horror'.

F'ing war crime? Perhaps.
First off it's called football. Secondly, given that American Football game has more stoppages than the old A1 rifle, I think you're in a bit of a glass house in calling the Beautiful Game boring.

Having said all that I'm not really a fan, just watch the World Cups, just having lived in the US for a number of years and tried (without luck) to get in to American Football, Baseball, Basketball etc. I felt obliged to stick up for our side :wink:

Vai Vicenza Calcio!

I recall Scotland yard opened an enquiry into this , they travelled down there surprisingly no one wanted to speak to them and it kind of went away.
I am sure someone out there must remember this.

RCGJ

I participated in the Argie version of arrse a month ago and the same point was made. They wrote off the story saying basically 'who needed mercs?' * and that they get their english from the septic side of the pond so it is not surprising that US accents were heard. I am corresponding with one argie who was involved in the fracas and who spent a year as a youth studying in the US to learn the language, and he is not the only one.

Non-story.

* Well, based on their performance, they did evidently.

B

BambiBasher

I've heard this story supposedly involving Paras, Marines, a bloke in a suit who didn't give his name and 'Them' (Ptchoo-ptchoo. Nuff said). It always has been three septics, their remains either choppered out to sea or buried deep in unmarked graves.

Invariably told by some ex-slop jockey trying to scrounge a pint.

Balls.

There were also a lot of Argentine prisoners with Welsh accents too. I'm pretty sure it was in the book Don't cry for me Sergeant Major where there were descendants of welsh miners who emigrated to Argentina a hundred years before and still speak English with a strong accent.
They too spent most of their captivity telling the British troops how the Falklands belong to 'them'.

Didnt the investigation team dig up several graves trying to find these alleged Americans and found bugger all, total waste of tax payers money due to a billy bullshiter sitting in a pub gobbing off.

bigeye said:
Lewis said:
Imperial_Warrior said:
I remember when watching 'An ungentlemanly act' years ago, there was an american bloke and his family living on the island.
Think he is on about Yank mercenaries.
Well, I heard some tall tales bout this 'merc' incident from one of our security advisers an ex-Para/SF chap, a couple of years ago- but I took it with a large pinch of salt as he was prone to feeding the chucks.

Perhaps there is something in it then.
I heard it from a mate who was ex-SF/Congo mercenary/Selous Scout/Chindit/Kitchener Volunteer/ Mosby's Raiders. He told me about it on the balcony of the Iranian Embassy while we were waiting for the other 9,752 blokes to go through the window.

Filthyphil, you lie! I never said that! I said watch your step, here come the 9752 reinforcements and that the window needed a lick of paint. You do exagerate.

Johnny Two-Hairbrushes- A Pair of Eyebrow Tweezers-And -A-Nail-File! Well I never! I haven't seen you since you attempted to sell saucy holiday postcards to that Irish bloke in Gibralter.

rumor probably got started by the fact argies had been to learn english in the US.
it will never die though :x