Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Never look back, old letters.

philc

LE
So during this huge amount of time we have had its been a bit of a clear out, including letters to me 40 years old. So letters from my Gran telling me Granddad is in hospital, he passed a week later, letters from my Mum, Rugby Boots and an old Iron on the way, watch out for the temperature, its not right, now she tells me after burning shirts, oh and thanks Mum for the letter giving me hints on how to spells at 18, see spelling Nazis have always existed. Letters from my brother & sister which will be used later, however it was the letters from friends got me thinking.

College girls who walked around with Joni Mitchell or Patty Smith albums, friends who went off to manage farms, University, Art College or even the odd Bingo Hall, till Dad sent you off to the City, hairdressers, plumbers or car mechanics. All gone, I am still in contact with 2 people from that time, each year I went to Hampshire less & less till it was gone.

Reading the letters of 18 yr olds makes me think of nativity, hope and ultimately failure, not my failure but the failure of a teenagers dreams.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
So during this huge amount of time we have had its been a bit of a clear out, including letters to me 40 years old. So letters from my Gran telling me Granddad is in hospital, he passed a week later, letters from my Mum, Rugby Boots and an old Iron on the way, watch out for the temperature, its not right, now she tells me after burning shirts, oh and thanks Mum for the letter giving me hints on how to spells at 18, see spelling Nazis have always existed. Letters from my brother & sister which will be used later, however it was the letters from friends got me thinking.

College girls who walked around with Joni Mitchell or Patty Smith albums, friends who went off to manage farms, University, Art College or even the odd Bingo Hall, till Dad sent you off to the City, hairdressers, plumbers or car mechanics. All gone, I am still in contact with 2 people from that time, each year I went to Hampshire less & less till it was gone.

Reading the letters of 18 yr olds makes me think of nativity, hope and ultimately failure, not my failure but the failure of a teenagers dreams.

"Life is a comedy to those who think, a tragedy to those who feel." - Racine.

They say that the definition of being old is when your memories outnumber your dreams. Personally I still intend to be dreaming when they're nailing down the lid.

I've still got my letter from NASA.

Thanks for your kind offer of volunteering for our astronaut corps. Unfortunately, we don't forsee any requirement for 5 year old Limeys. Good luck with your dream of becoming a U Boat captain.

Yeah, that went well too. Cnuts!

Ent ded yet. Still time to become the Supreme Dictator of the Universe.

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
I don't know whether to be disappointed or relieved that I've never kept one single "old letter" :eek:

Memory jog:-

Newly married, new bride unpacking her MFO boxes in our quarter, me unpacking mine, I find a few letters from an old flame, who wrote to me when I was living in the block, I start to read one, quite forgetting how spicy and descriptive they are, new wife says" who are they from, lets have a look" Me in a blind panic start to tear them up. This was 42 years ago, now, whenever I shred a letter, she always says "Old girlfriend?"

The only "OLD" Letter I've kept is my decree absolute from the fat mutant I divorced in 2000.

Was she fat when you married her?

TheManFromWem

Old-Salt

Absolutely Loved this post.( No bull--straight up)
It's inherent in us to forget and then come across things that shot us back 30,40,50,60+ years or so....Such Is Life........My Auntie ( who seved in the ATA----Air Transport Auxiliary ) always corresponded, and all her letters had a whiff of Eau de Cologne..
Posted on my Facebook as an excellent summary of life ( linked to you as author).....
( minor correction ......Naive ).....
Happy Days, Howard.

Last edited:
When we moved over here one of our boxes went missing never to be see again. It just so happened it was the box with all my photos and other memorabilia from my time in the mob. Even after all these decades I still feel gutted thinking about it.

The only looking back I do these days is with herself and what it took to get to where we are now. I also have two wee granddaughters who need teaching mischief they haven't thought of yet. Time to look back and reflect later, just not yet.

No comments from me... as yet...

But excellent thread nonetheless...

BoxKickerSubs

Old-Salt
This post is very apt today, as just yesterday my dear old mum sent a photo of me from 1992 canoeing in the Antarctic. I had been looking in my gaff for bloody years trying to find that, as my 2 boys never believed that i had done the deed. That will learn em.

Latest Threads