Never been adventure training-some advice please

Discussion in 'Sports, Adventure Training and Events' started by cunning_stunt, Jun 8, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My Corps run a consolidated AT ex every year. I have never been because a: I don't want to, and b: someone has to stay and look after things whilst everyone else is away-I usually volunteer for that. I have close links with a CCF and they have asked me to go on a DoE expedition with them in the autumn. I am happy to take leave to do this but I was wondering if I could use my AT allowance? Does it work like that or is it "organised military AT or nothing"?

Any advice would be gratefully received. (I am CRB checked etc etc so I don't need to worry about that sort of bol!ocks and I'm not looking for a "cadet force slagging", so sensible answers only please!)
  2. You don't want to go adventurous training? Please, give me your "allowance"! I recently completed a gliding course - hard work and frightening (when the instructor tells you to tighten the straps... tighten the straps)!

My understanding is that there isn't an "allowance" as such. It is guidance for COs and commanders: for example, 20% of the unit strength should complete Level 1 AT, and 10% should complete Level 2. There are lower figures for Levels 3 and 4, IIRC, but we are talking about AT Gods at those levels.

So, in your case, you should ask your Boss for permission to undertake Level 1 AT on the DoE course with the CCF (as long as it is Level 1 AT). You should NOT take leave in order to participate in official AT.

I hope the CCF realise that you are not bringing any qualifications to the party? At Level 1, you are a student - although, obviously, a student on whom they can rely for support when working with the cadets! If you plan to support such exercises in the future, it is worthwhile researching the JSMEL requirements and starting to log your AT efforts. JSMEL(S) is a good start for a subbie or a budding JNCO.

3. Thanks Litotes. They know I have no qualifications at all whatsoever except a CRB certificate and a pair of t1ts, (they have no female instructors but three female cadets) and hopefully I can keep up with the kids and be pretty self sufficient. I'll try my luck with the boss and see how we go.
  4. Once you have broached the subject, I would expect your detachment to approach your Boss (or CO) formally; they should write a letter asking if you can help with the exercise, giving the duties you will be required to perform and the AT you will undertake. Afterwards, they should thank your Boss for your help and should praise/damn you as appropriate.

They don't have to, but that is what I would do/expect. :D