Networking XP and Vista computers?

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by Litotes, Jan 26, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have had major IT issues in my flat! I had to rebuild the XP desktop after a crash. Anyway, it's up and working (do you know where your restore disk is and have you checked it recently?).

In the meantime, I bought a Vista laptop (I know....). This connects nicely to the Internet via a wireless router when available or a 3G dongle when travelling.

All my files are still on the XP desktop and I want to transfer them to the laptop (Vista), preferably using the Files Transfer Wizard.

I have connected the desktop to the laptop with the network cable that normally allows me to connect directly from the router to the laptop (so, IIRC, that is a cross-over network cable). However, both computers report limited connectivity (IP address cannot be renewed) and running the transfer wizard doesn't show the network as a possible option for transfer.

In simple terms, am I using the correct cable to connect them or am I too stupid to use computers?

Grateful for advice.... this is starting to get to me!

Litotes

2. Sorry, just to add that I have run the Network Wizards and run netsetup.exe on both machines - which reports that it has an error and will terminate!

Litotes

3. In the olden days if you were using a cross over cable then you would need to be running the netbui protocol and filesharing. However now I would just connect both pc's to the router and enable file sharing on the pc's

4. I'm pretty sure you need a network crossover cable to do this, they are not expensive. With a regular lan cable, you will connect the send ports to the other send ports and recieve ports to other receive ports. Alternatively, if you have an internet router or modem, its easy enough to do it through them.

5. I'm pretty sure you need a network crossover cable to do this, they are not expensive. With a regular lan cable, you will connect the send ports to the other send ports and recieve ports to other receive ports. Alternatively, if you have an internet router or modem, its easy enough to do it through them.

6. Have you right clicked on the relevant files/folders and enabled "sharing"?

7. As far as I know, that is what I am using. It came with the router and I used it to set up the wireless network. I have checked it and it works in that configuration.

Litotes

8. I have a shared folder on the destination laptop. I will "share" the drive on the source computer.

But I get the feeling that I have a communication problem first and foremost.

Litotes

9. When I switched from an xp desktop to a vista laptop I used a peiece of external storage to make the trasnfer. Not the most direct method but certainly effective. Obviously your not going to buy an external HD but if you have access to one might be worth while

10. Desktop running XP

Network Connections: Broadcom NetXtreme etc

Limited or no connectivity....the network did not assign a network address to the computer.

Details:

IP Address: 169.254.135.177

Nothing against DefaUlt Gateway or DNS Server

Litotes

11. You are dead right, and I can do it the brutal way.... because I have an external 300GB hard disk. But I wanted to retain as much as possible of my desktop/settings etc and I will have to repeat the exercise in a short while (and quickly...) when my desktop goes to a relative!

Litotes

12. can u not burn to dvd or use a large size mem stick?

both computer on same network name?

if u have the ip of the lappy ping it, if so whats the reply?

do either of the pc/lappy utilise a prog whereby it vontrols either the wiress or the nic? (my friends siemens lappy had this prog)

13. If you use the same cable to connect your PC to your router then it will be a straight cable not a cross.

Easy way to tell. Look at the connectors. Are the coloured cables in the same order on both ends?

If they are then it is a straight.

It should look like this

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8f/Vergleich_2von2_Crossoverkabel.gif

14. Doh! I knew there was a difference but had never seen an explanation!

Sorry for the delay but I screwed up my 3G connection and had to revert to a restore point! What a mess....

Thanks, mate, I love you and I'll have your babies anytime..... :D :D :D

Right, back to square one with a cross-over cable!

Litotes

15. msr

msr LE

Orange and White
    Orange
    Green and White
    Blue
    Blue and White
    Green
    White and brown
    Brown - for a normal cable