Network / WiFi Guru Wanted

I have an unsecured wireless network showing up in list of available networks... I can connect to it and it gives internet access.

Its a bit of a worry insofar as it appears to be in my house but I can’t find it.
  1. It is broadcasting its SSID A “AP_xxxxxxxxx where each x = a number in the range 0 to 9
  2. Its IP address is 10.10.100.x
  3. Its DNS server is set at 10.10.100.x
  4. Its MAC address is visible and tells me that it (or at least it’s WiFi chip) was made by a company called Hi Flying Electronics Technology (a Chinese company)
  5. If I try and connect via IP Address I get a ‘Device Refused to Answer‘ response.
  • My own network is allocating IP addresses in the 192.168 range and its DNS server is a Pihole set to 1.1.1.1 (Cloudflare).
  • I also shut the power off but during the ‘power cut’ this network continued to broadcast its SSID.
  • My neighbour only has his & her 4G phone access - no Modem/router in their house.

How can I track this unknown device down? Only tools I have are iPads and iPhones. Any pointers appreciated.

I have an unsecured wireless network showing up in list of available networks... I can connect to it and it gives internet access.

Its a bit of a worry insofar as it appears to be in my house but I can’t find it.
  1. It is broadcasting its SSID A “AP_xxxxxxxxx where each x = a number in the range 0 to 9
  4. Its MAC address is visible and tells me that it (or at least it’s WiFi chip) was made by a company called Hi Flying Electronics Technology (a Chinese company)
  5. If I try and connect via IP Address I get a ‘Device Refused to Answer‘ response.
  • My own network is allocating IP addresses in the 192.168 range and its DNS server is a Pihole set to 1.1.1.1 (Cloudflare).
  • I also shut the power off but during the ‘power cut’ this network continued to broadcast its SSID.
  • My neighbour only has his & her 4G phone access - no Modem/router in their house.

How can I track this unknown device down? Only tools I have are iPads and iPhones. Any pointers appreciated.
I think @dogmeat works in IT support or something. He may be able to assist.

Thanks.... I have just checked again and it is not broadcasting just now so I will look again in the morning...

It’s fücked.

Hope this helps.

What router do you have?

ETA: connect to it and go to whatsmyip.org to see what external IP it's using - see if it matches what you get when connected to your WiFi. If you want, PM the one the rogue access point reports.

Karamoja

Old-Salt
Have your neighbour(s) inadvertently set up their phones as Wi-Fi hotspots also called tethering?

endure

GCM
Here's Hi Flying. They make all sorts of IoT kit

A few thoughts based on switching the power off.

1. Is it a personal hotspot on your iphone
2. Is it a smart meter? High Flying stuff is used in smart metering

It’s fücked.

Hope this helps.
Enormously thanks Dingerr. I only posted in the hope that you'd bring your analytical skills to bear.

Have your neighbour(s) inadvertently set up their phones as Wi-Fi hotspots also called tethering?
I thought that but they were both at work today some thirty - forty miles away. That said, he is the only person I mentioned it to earlier this evening and whatever it is, it is not broadcasting right now.

A few thoughts based on switching the power off.

1. Is it a personal hotspot on your iphone
2. Is it a smart meter? High Flying stuff is used in smart metering
1. No - hotspot selected off on both iPhones
2. I don't think my meters are smart - the gas meter is still coal fired and I provide readings for both each month. Would a smart meter allow me an unsecure connection to it and give me a workable internet connection?

Shilling? I am no pauper sir, it takes Guineas.

lert

LE
Have you tried turning it off and turning it on again?

Enormously thanks Dingerr. I only posted in the hope that you'd bring your analytical skills to bear.
Thank You, I am but here to help, my generosity and knowledge on such mattersknow no bounds, it’s little wonder everyone loves me.:grin:

OneTenner

War Hero
Book Reviewer

What subnet does the IP range have? is the gateway address in your IP range? Assuming you're using some sort of wireless security other than MAC address filtering, are there any entries in your WAP / router logs relating to it?
Without an external wifi adaptor, it'll be difficult to locate, you could try covering the back of your laptop screen (most have the antennas behind the screen) in tinfoil to reduce the signal strength then walking about until you see the signal strength going up - might be easier to use something like inSSIDer (version 3.1.2.1 was the last truly 'free' one) rather than the approximated signal strength meter in the OS. it's unlikely to be a 'smart' meter as they're supposed to be always on, are there any solar panels installed on nearby houses? these also have wifi capability. Most likely it's benign and due to a poorly configured WAP rather than a device installed in your internal network to allow nefarious access, until you track it down, you'll never really know.
BTW, as 10. x .x .x and 192. x .x .x are non-routable addresses (on the public internet), theres no need to obfuscate them ;-)

Is there someone in your basement?

Nothing in his loft by the sound of it

OneTenner

War Hero
Book Reviewer
1583185462792.png

Some of the networks near me, mine show as 'open' because the version of inSSIDer i'm using doesn't recognise PKI

Nothing in his loft by the sound of it
Hmm... you may be quite right by being quite wrong there...

are there any solar panels installed on nearby houses? these also have wifi capability.
Two arrays on my house in fact - already up there when I bought the house... when the inverter(s) come back up tomorrow I will connect and do the whatsmyip.org thing as I am fairly certain it, whatever it is, is not piggybacking my 'known' network. It still gave me an internet connection during my 'powercut'.

I even took the batteries out of the solar 'smart' display sender unit (all it does is count meter pulses and converts that data into a useful display) and out of the cordless landline phones. The paranoia is growing like a triffid on good quality growth hormone therapy.

PM inbound sir.

Latest Threads