Network Access Storage

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by mysteron, Jul 6, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. mysteron

mysteron LE Book Reviewer

Before we begin, a few rules on this thread please:

1. Please try and keep tech speak to a minimum. Pitch this at people who understand standard functionality of Windows OS and need a pretty much Janet & John description to achieiving this.

2. Tips on how to maintain internet security are always welcome for this!!

OK, the question:

I have a PC at home, standard Acer with triple core processor, 500Gb memory, 3Gb RAM. I would also like to get a netbook (Samsung NC10 is looking good - rather like everyone else on this thread).

To pull this all together I want to set up a Network Access Storage device (NAS) that I can remotely access over the internet.

The challenge is this, what do I get (Buffalo Quad 1Tb RAID5 is looking good) and how is the best way to set this up maintaining security. Also, can I use this as a thin client and host apps (i.e MS Office, iTunes, etc) on the NAS and rip them down as I require them thus only having the OS on my netbook and not having to worry about it if it gets nicked apart from disassociating it from my network?

My requirements are for 1 or 2Tb of storage, preferably RAID 5 capable for all other devices to make sure I can back up everything, for multimedia (films, iTunes, etc) and sharing with family to my Buffalo 500Gb storage device to drop photos etc into (also to be added into the network).

Suggestions please? Thanks in advance!
  2. msr

msr LE

Use syncback to synchronise your key files and truecrypt the ensure the security of your netbook should it get nicked.

The rest of your ideas are pie in the sky and I haven't the time to discredit them individually.

3. mysteron

mysteron LE Book Reviewer

Are you saying that I cannot access my files through a nAS? Everywhere says you can - it is the how I don't know. If I can't run thin client - I can get over that, just trying to be hyper-efficient as a system at my work allows, it is the future and all.
  4. msr

msr LE

No, you are confusing storage with a server.

If you want just to sync your files in the cloud use this:

And what is with the RAID5? Why?

5. PGP whole disk encryption for your laptop (free install via Army Net)
    Buffalo Terastation Pro running twonky media server and jobs a good one for sharing media around the home. For remote access you'd be looking at VPN access which is achiveable via any decent router to enable you to access your server via an SSL connection.
  6. msr

msr LE

You have not read point 1, have you?

7. :oops:
  8. No it isn't. Cloud computing is (allegedly) the future, basically running all your applications within a browser. Usually seen with Outlook at the moment but likely to spread due to the cost of office and other applications.

From experience I would spend a few quid extra to ensure the NAS is running Windows server rather than a cobbled together Linux/Unix operating system to ensure compatibility - the Linux/Unix systems will claim to be compatible - they are not.

As for security, setting up such a system involves domains, encryption and a knowledge of the windows system. Judging by your post you would be better off learning about the system rather than asking people to avoid tech speak
  9. meridian

meridian LE Good Egg (charities)

Getting access over the internet to your NAS should not be too difficult but to be honest its not something for novices so tread carefully. Your router may or may not provide VPN connectivity, if not you will need to have a look at the NAS box, some of these do include basic remote access functionality.

MSR's suggestion of using an internet storage server is a valid one but will be difficult should you start using big files. Again some NAS boxes include media sharing to the relevant devices.

Thin client, i.e. hosting the applications and data on your home PC is a bit of a non starter because of licencing, technical and cost issues.

If you want the Netbook to operate in a pseudo thin client mode you could have a look at Logmein

Its essentially a web based remote desktop sharing application that is fantastic, I use it all the time and the basic one is free. Upgrading gets you a few extra features like file transfer and remote printing so well worth a look if you are mobile a lot of the time. Always remember bandwidth issues though, watching a film via Logmein even over broadband is not really possible.
  10. Purely out of interest, whats the performance hit with this solution?
  11. msr

msr LE

12. Any whole disk solution will give you a slight hit, but both work and home laptops run PGP and run perfectly well although can run slightly warmer than usual and the only real noticeable delsy is on boot up (10 to 20 secs longer depending on the hard disk size)
  13. msr

msr LE

14. Oh chill out mr smarty pants.