• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Netherlands Marines captured in Libya

Lets hope Libya has better tailors than Iran. Just the thought of those suits "our brave boys" were made to wear makes me shudder. Ho and they will need ipods and someone from fleetlands to fix the Lynx if it hasn't flown for a few hours.

I read the first post and, though tempted, thought that I wouldn't make any comment about suits and ipods for fear of setting dunesomething off on an RN rant. Too late now.

R

renamed_user

All that long blonde hair will fascinate those little Arab boys, I can imagine them forming an orderly (as they're famous for) queue to get a chance to have a feel.

You see, if we'd had the Ark Royal and her mighty 6 GR9s onboard then this would never have happened. Its clearly an argument in favour of carrier airpower as right now we could be nuking Libya with our mighty planes flown from the sea (on and on ad nauseum...)

You see, if we'd had the Ark Royal and her mighty 6 GR9s onboard then this would never have happened. Its clearly an argument in favour of carrier airpower as right now we could be nuking Libya with our mighty planes flown from the sea (on and on ad nauseum...)
Not only that! Helicopters are so much better a way of extracting people than from a runway in the middle of know where using a C-130!!! You can land them right in the heart of the action!

Just think of all the flexibility we would have had to put penny packets of bods down all along the coast so they could be rounded up too if we'd had a carrier!

On Wednesday, Gadhafi warned the U.S. and other Western powers not to intervene in the chaos enveloping his country. He vowed to turn Libya into "another Vietnam," and said any foreign troops coming into his country "will be entering hell and they will drown in blood."

Best stick to cruise missiles then and tactical nukes :)

Ach,there'sh no pleashing the Lybiansh anyway!

;-)
it's a Navy helicopter jock and his crew. (And his clap trap of an old Lynx).
If there'd been some Marines on board they wouldn't have been captured, I think.

What's the wisdom of sending a single, practically unarmed helicopter into the single best defended city of Kadaffi's clan to pick someone up? I mean, the Brits got their people to wait on some oil industry airstrip out in the desert and sent dozens of SAS and SBS along. Comment of the 'Military History' professor on the news: 'They were depending on the element of surprise'. When I first saw a Lynx I was amazed that they could get so much noise out of such a small machine!

Ze Dutsh vant everytink on ze cheep and use only a sinkle helicopter... Sad...

I hope these people get out quickly and safely.

it's a Navy helicopter jock and his crew. (And his clap trap of an old Lynx).
If there'd been some Marines on board they wouldn't have been captured, I think.

What's the wisdom of sending a single, practically unarmed helicopter into the single best defended city of Kadaffi's clan to pick someone up? I mean, the Brits got their people to wait on some oil industry airstrip out in the desert and sent dozens of SAS and SBS along. Comment of the 'Military History' professor on the news: 'They were depending on the element of surprise'. When I first saw a Lynx I was amazed that they could get so much noise out of such a small machine!

Ze Dutsh vant everytink on ze cheep and use only a sinkle helicopter... Sad...

I hope these people get out quickly and safely.
Yes some journo obviously thought Koninglyke Marine meant "Royal [Netherlands] Marines" not "Royal [Netherlands] Navy". Dutch Marines are in fact the Korps Mariniers.

Not only that! Helicopters are so much better a way of extracting people than from a runway in the middle of know where using a C-130!!! You can land them right in the heart of the action!
Yes, we all know that they should have used mighty RPG-proof Herc with special non-hallucinating non-UFO spotting 'SF' crews...

Latest Threads