• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Netherlands? Holland?

As i slowly slip into a alcohol induced coma waiting for someone to be sent off in the World Cup Final, I'm wondering why the Netherlands are referred to as "holland" and their residents "Dutch"?

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
Technically Holland is a county and part of the Netherlands
The Dutch bit comes from the Dutch republic of the Netherlands which I think is what the English called it originally

T

trowel

As i slowly slip into a alcohol induced coma waiting for someone to be sent off in the World Cup Final, I'm wondering why the Netherlands are referred to as "holland" and their residents "Dutch"?
Technically , to nick a word from "Syrup". No-one actually gives a two-penny toss. Hope this helps.

Actually, I did wonder about that as I lay in bed and listened to a radio report on the match. (Sky doesn't reach where I live) So,I suppose I do give a toss, or did. Thanks for enlightening me.

Dutch . from the language spoken in the area, "Low German" Deutch, mis pronounced by the English

Netherland, low land in German" Neiderland" once again misprnounced by the English

Holland, a spur of land ,Saxon, the land north of Amsterdam is a spur of land

Dutch . from the language spoken in the area, "Low German" Deutch, mis pronounced by the English
Low German is known as das Plattdeutsch and a word for word translation would be Niederdeutsch but have never heard it called that.

Netherland, low land in German" Neiderland" once again misprnounced by the English
It's Netherlands (plural) and it's die Niederlande in German.

For some reason, the term Holland is being used much more widely in the German language now.

Holland is derived from the Middle Dutch term holtland ("wooded land")

Latest Threads