Netherlands? Holland?

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Obadiah_Octavius, Jul 11, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. As i slowly slip into a alcohol induced coma waiting for someone to be sent off in the World Cup Final, I'm wondering why the Netherlands are referred to as "holland" and their residents "Dutch"?
  2. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Technically Holland is a county and part of the Netherlands
    The Dutch bit comes from the Dutch republic of the Netherlands which I think is what the English called it originally
  3. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Yep its a bit like those tossers who refer to the UK/Great Britain as England
  4. Technically , to nick a word from "Syrup". No-one actually gives a two-penny toss. Hope this helps.
  5. Because Holland refers to regions which the netherlands have 12 of which include north and south Holland but then again who gives a toss.
  6. I really couldn't careless YAWN!
  7. To add to your confusion, South Holland is a district in Lincolnshire, England.
  8. Actually, I did wonder about that as I lay in bed and listened to a radio report on the match. (Sky doesn't reach where I live) So,I suppose I do give a toss, or did. Thanks for enlightening me.
  9. There is also Up Holland near to Wigan.
  10. And New Holland make farm machinery.
  11. And a Dutch oven is clever
  12. Not to mention Dutch caps..!
  13. And of course Dutch courage...
  14. And a Dutch Egg is when someone shits himself on the way to the Karzi in the night and leaves it for someone to find. According to Viz anyway.
  15. Dutch . from the language spoken in the area, "Low German" Deutch, mis pronounced by the English

Netherland, low land in German" Neiderland" once again misprnounced by the English

Holland, a spur of land ,Saxon, the land north of Amsterdam is a spur of land