Net Zero by Patrick Benham-Crosswell

ARRSE Rating
4.00 star(s)
I lifted this review from Rum Ration as I felt if needed a larger airing. The original reviewer and who should take all the credit is Busterquin.

"The Challenges, Costs and Consequences of the UK's Zero Emission Ambition"

When I opted to review this book due to having an interest in the Government’s seemingly headlong rush into turning our small island into a net zero emissions economy by 2050 I was expecting a weighty tome to be crammed through my letterbox. To my surprise the book is small, but it fully gives all the facts and information about climate change and the means of achieving Net Zero emissions in a succinct and easily understood format

Unfortunately, it highlights the current inadequacies in in our national grid and clean power generation capacity to cope with the authorities’ headlong rush to get us all to drive electric vehicles rather than looking at alternatives such as hydrogen powered vehicles. A major upgrade costing trillions is required.
Net Zero.jpg
The pros and cons of all forms of proposed clean power generation, (Nuclear, Wind, Solar Wave power etc) alongside the associated costs are closely examined and easy to understand charts illustrate the facts and figures.

The bottom line is the costs to achieve Net Zero are eye wateringly expensive and a could end up as a totally futile gesture if the big players in the world economy don’t tread the same path making their production costs of goods etc significantly cheaper

Whatever your opinion about climate change is, I highly recommend this book as a must read to enable you to challenge some of the sound bites currently being touted by the Government in order to look good at major conferences such as the recent COP26.

Amazon product

Awol

LE
Coal is evil. It is the devil. It destroys lives and habitats, ecosystems and baby mice.

So we are told relentlessly by the BBC. They also tell us about the wonder of battery powered cars.

Which are plugged into the wall and powered by............coal.

Hydrogen fuel cells are without doubt the only answer.

The author is a former cavalry officer who I’ve known for 40 years. He has spent his post service career as an entrepreneur in the sustainable energy field.

I ordered the book a couple of weeks ago after seeing his pitch on LinkedIn. Looking forward to reading it.

Awol

LE
The author is a former cavalry officer who I’ve known for 40 years. He has spent his post service career as an entrepreneur in the sustainable energy field.

I ordered the book a couple of weeks ago after seeing his pitch on LinkedIn. Looking forward to reading it.
Bob, with his job title being what it is, I’m guessing that he is flogging wind turbines, wave generators etc. Is his view that these non-carbon ways of generating power are going to be enough.

Personally, I’m all for clean, sustainable power, but I’m concerned that the ecological cost of digging up the raw materials from the other side of the planet, combined with a limited life span, makes them not very ecofriendly at all. How much diesel is consumed in a massive tanker sailing (chugging) at the way from China and, as you and me know, wind turbines are absolutely are enormous.

They are not going to erected ten miles of the Welsh coast by a solar enhanced token sailing yacht . It’s going be be a very big floating platform getting through hundreds of gallons of diesel a day.

So I’m undecided and just genuinely interested in your’s and your friend’s views on the subject.

Bob, with his job title being what it is, I’m guessing that he is flogging wind turbines, wave generators etc. Is his view that these non-carbon ways of generating power are going to be enough.

Personally, I’m all for clean, sustainable power, but I’m concerned that the ecological cost of digging up the raw materials from the other side of the planet, combined with a limited life span, makes them not very ecofriendly at all. How much diesel is consumed in a massive tanker sailing (chugging) at the way from China and, as you and me know, wind turbines are absolutely are enormous.

They are not going to erected ten miles of the Welsh coast by a solar enhanced token sailing yacht . It’s going be be a very big floating platform getting through hundreds of gallons of diesel a day.

So I’m undecided and just genuinely interested in your’s and your friend’s views on the subject.
His background is in investment fund management I think; investors in green technology. I think he spent some time running a sustainable brickworks company and IIRC he was involved in agricultural biomass. I find his LinkedIn input on sustainability interesting; he collates some great articles into his feed.

I’m of the view that government hasn’t got the Net Zero concept right at all. I think it will lead us to dependency on China and to a lesser extent Russia. We need to be developing our own fossil fuel resources in parallel with building out sustainable sources and changing behaviours. We can get to Net Zero but not in 20-30 years.

We also need to properly incentivise the private sector to invest. Tax breaks not penalties. The current system is almost entirely stick and very little carrot.

Awol

LE
His background is in investment fund management I think; investors in green technology. I think he spent some time running a sustainable brickworks company and IIRC he was involved in agricultural biomass. I find his LinkedIn input on sustainability interesting; he collates some great articles into his feed.

I’m of the view that government hasn’t got the Net Zero concept right at all. I think it will lead us to dependency on China and to a lesser extent Russia. We need to be developing our own fossil fuel resources in parallel with building out sustainable sources and changing behaviours. We can get to Net Zero but not in 20-30 years.

We also need to properly incentivise the private sector to invest. Tax breaks not penalties. The current system is almost entirely stick and very little carrot.
Completely agree. Thanks Bob. So much of the ‘green revolution’ is just window dressing to appease gobby militants on social media. Let them replace fossil fuels with a micro-windmill and a solar panel for a month and see how they like the Stone Age.

Good ideal for a reality TV show actually. Let’s see Steve Backshall shivering, fully dressed under 3 duvets.

Latest Threads