Nerdlinger help/advice needed. Probs with CoD4

Ive recently started to get a problem whilst playing the above, it seems that after anything between 10 and 30 mins my whole system crashes. there is no warning or even a hint of a blue screen it just shuts down.

Have any of you lot had this problem or has anyone heard of it happening elsewhere and have a solution to fix it.

It doesnt do it on any or game or site i go into.

Cheers

SV

Console or PC :? graphics card not up to scratch :? System struggling to cope?

PC mate, not sure whether the graphics card is up to scratch as i have played the game since it came out and not had a problem. How would i know if the system was struggling?

Yours

Billy Gates

Do you think that CoD could shut the system down because the game itself was generating to much heat within the pc? (Does that even make sense?)

Salford-Vera said:
PC mate, not sure whether the graphics card is up to scratch as i have played the game since it came out and not had a problem. How would i know if the system was struggling?

Yours

Billy Gates
it slows down...a lot.....also the graphics become pixelated (correct word?) :wink:

Fan on GFX card could be on its way out causing overheat and death or even CPU cooler

Are they easy to replace? I have noticed a sort of buzzin weering noise from my pc recently which i presume will be the fans.

Gfx fan can be a complete barsteward the CPU not to bad it all depends on the type you get. Then again it might not even be that..

BrunoNoMedals

LE
Kit Reviewer
It could be your power supply. If it's dying then it won't be providing the power it once did. This will affect your graphics card (a serious drain on wattage) and, if the system doesn't get the power it needs, it will shut down.

Can you see a power rating on the PSU? It's a block about 10cmx10cmx6cm where the kettle-style power cable goes into the PC. Tell us that, tell us how old it is, and give us some specs on your PC (3d card, processor) and we can make a better judgement.

BrunoNoMedals said:
It could be your power supply. If it's dying then it won't be providing the power it once did. This will affect your graphics card (a serious drain on wattage) and, if the system doesn't get the power it needs, it will shut down.

Can you see a power rating on the PSU? It's a block about 10cmx10cmx6cm where the kettle-style power cable goes into the PC. Tell us that, tell us how old it is, and give us some specs on your PC (3d card, processor) and we can make a better judgement.

I'd go with PSU as an educated guess. It's also the cheapest part to replace 1st.

If it's just closing down without telling you, it's overheating. You'll probably find you can rectify this problem quite easily.

get a can of Air and give the fan inside a bloody good blow :wink: If you're not the PC type I would assume you've never done it. It will be clogged to high hell and not cooling any where near as much as it should.

Doesn't hurt to do this once a month or so BTW.

BrunoNoMedals

LE
Kit Reviewer
smudge67 said:
BrunoNoMedals said:

I'd go with PSU as an educated guess. It's also the cheapest part to replace 1st.
Yup. Simple to do, as well.

I got a Dabs bargain 850W for about forty notes the other month. I was a little sceptical at first but the reviews were good so I figured I'd risk it given that the "known brand" equivalents were upwards of £150!

I would go with the dust route, have you checked inside?
If its not full of dust and this does not fix it then find out which fan is making the noise and replace it.

The first thing to do is back up all your data.

Then open up the case and clean out any dust - PC off ofcourse. A paint brush is handy for this. I've seen dust cause temperature rises of 15°C before so worth cleaning out. The second thing to do is to ensure that you get a BSOD (blue screen of death) so that you can actually get an idea of what is happening.

To do this right click on My Computer icon > Properties > Advanced Tab > settings (Under "Start up and Recovery") > Under System Failure - uncheck the box that says "automatically restart".

Leave the side of the case off and play the game. Check to see that all the fans are spinning. Does the PC crash again? If it does then what does the BSOD say? If you don't get a BSOD it points to a hardware problem rather than software.

If you could list your system (or system specs including if possible the PSU) then that would help. It sounds like an over heating problem. Could be Gfx or CPU. Usually if the graphics card is on it's way out you will see a corrupt display before it finally gives up the ghost. If it's the CPU then the system will have an upper limit that when reached the system will turn off automatically to protect the CPU. Does the system crash when playing any other games? There is plenty of temperature monitoring software out there but without knowing your system specs/motherboard model it won't help.

Lastly it may be the PSU is on it's way out. The only way to check this is to swap in a good quality unit that is known to work. A friend might be able to help you out.