Nepali Army Officer Faces Torture Charges

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by DesktopCommando, Jan 5, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Nepali Army Officer Faces Torture Charges

Colonel Kumar Lama was arrested while visiting his family in the UK over two alleged offences dating back to 2005.

A Nepali army officer has been in remanded in custody charged with two counts of torture after being arrested in the UK.

Colonel Kumar Lama, 46, of St Leonards-on-Sea, East Sussex, is accused of inflicting severe pain or suffering when he was acting in an official capacity.

The offences are said to have taken place between April 15, 2005 and May 1, 2005, and April 15, 2005 and October 31, 2005 at the Gorusinghe Army Barracks at Kapilvastu, Nepal.

The offences are alleged to have taken place as the then-government fought a decade-long Maoist insurgency.

Lama was arrested under a law which allows the prosecution of suspected torturers, even if the alleged offence has no connection to the UK.

At Westminster Magistrates Court, Judge Quentin Purdy ruled that Lama would be held in custody as there was risk he would leave the country if released.He will appear at the Old Bailey on January 24.

Lama is serving as a military observer with the UN Mission in South Sudan but had been spending Christmas in Britain when he was arrested, the court heard.

His wife and two children, aged 21 and 17, live in the UK.

The British ambassador in Kathmandu was summoned by Nepal's government in protest over the officer's arrest.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since Nepal is a signatory on the Geneva Convention why has he been arrested ?

• Informative Informative x 1

2. I'm surmising the title of your posting answers the aforementioned question ?

3. He is a serving member of another nations Armed Forces, so I was just asking why, ok he was here visiting family but also on R&R from Somalia, bet that means any other countries Armed Forces better watch out if visiting if covered by their forces but we dont like it...

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Sorry, I'm not understanding what point you are attempting to make; He is Nepalese, who are signatories on the Geneva Convention, he is accused of torture and therefore answerable.

He was in UK for Christmas (I'm guessing he is married to a British Citizen), and was arrested..............................and ????

5. One more time, Im not fluent in retard.
    He is a suspected war criminal.
    He is in the UK

Why would we not detain him?

6. One more time, Im not fluent in retard.
    He is a suspected war criminal.
    He is in the UK

Why would we not detain him?

7. Just out of interest, doesn't the UK have one or two asylum seekers who might have been involved in torture in their home country? Some of the people who fled the ME and Africa spring to mind, let alone some of the CIA/KGB agents who come through, special rendition flights, stuff like that.

• Like Like x 1
  8. As might be predicted, GAESO have joined in the fray, while at the same time adding a bit of their own agenda.

Link:
    GAESO demands immediate release of Col Lama

9. I agree Tawahi, GAESO's intervention is very revealing.

10. To save any other confused looking it up, it's Gurkha Army Ex-Servicemen's Organisation.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Col Lama's trial has been set to start on 5 June at Kingston Crown Court.

The Nepal Government has appointed the firm of Kingsley Napley, who defended Pinochet on torture charges to act in Col Lama's defence.

The reports (below) come from the Nepal media and the caveat regarding possibly unreliability should apply.

According to Nepal media, the UN has refused to grant his application for diplomatic immunity which was based on his employment with the UN mission prior to his arrest.

Part of his defence will be will be that of 'Double Jeopardy' as it seems that he has already been found guilty on one of the charges by a regional court in Nepal.

Victim reports torture under Col Lama's command DC Nepal Main Page

A couple of curiousities thrown up by the media; not only is Col Lama a UK resident but it seems that 'many [serving] Nepal army officers have been granted that status'.
    It also may seem a bit odd that someone who has completed a masters degree in in International relations at Sussex and has been long employed at UN missions should need a translator in court but I expect it's a requirement to ensure fairness in his trial.

UN no to diplomatic immunity for colonel | Top Stories | :: The Kathmandu Post ::

12. Poor sod can't win, arrested here for torture, at home they want to arrest him for not applying the electrodes correctly in accordance with the manual.....

13. Despite attempts by the Nepalese government to lean on HMG in order to get the process stopped, Colonel Lama's case started at the Old Bailey today.

It's expected to last six weeks.