Nepal Travel Advice

Discussion in 'Sports, Adventure Training and Events' started by Goose_Rider, Feb 20, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just found out about this website created in response to the 'negative' FCO advice issued about travel to Nepal.

Bit confusing for those hoping to find out how 'safe' Nepal is, those of us who've been and encountered Maoists can't see what the fuss is about, yet the FCO advice errs on the side of caution (to the point of saying don't go there). I know there have been recent riots in Kathmandu and I'm not sure what the situation is like in rural areas at present.

Anyone planning to travel there soon might like to look at the website in addition to the usual sources of information.

Mods: if this is a sensitive subject right now, please move/delete this as appropriate.
  2. I've got several friends out there at present who have said that it's all quite stable in rural areas - a complete contrast to the FCO advice.

Furthermore, a couple of acquantences are going out there on trekking in March with one of the aid agencies. They've not had anything shelved either, so my suggestion is to go with it.

The FCO often get quite twitchy about these things, but, in all honesty, and from what I've heard, everything is pretty safe.
  3. I see things have moved on somewhat since my original post and the FCO advice has been revised. Not sure whether this is due to a change in the situation out there or due to the lobbyists.

Anyone shed any light ? I'm hoping to take shed-loads of leave at the end of this year and get myself out there for a month or so.
  4. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

If you PM Minty McGinty she was out there earlier this Pokhara watching the wannabe Johnny Gurkhas do their awesome selection tests....
  5. My Dad was there last year & did,nt feel threatened whatsoever. He went via a proper world travel company who arranged guides & transfers etc & he rekons they knew the places where not to travel. He did encounter a few "characters" on his trek but nothing too dangerous. I hope so anyway because we are both off there next time !!!!! He said the most dangerous thing that happened was the 4hr taxi ride to meet his guides in his own words "absolutley feckin terrifying".

Regards LT.
  6. Cheers for replies, I first became aware of the website through a mate of mine who is trying to open an orphanage somewhere near Pokhara - fantastic place for Adv Trg BTW - who says that the tourist trade is being hit by the current FCO advice (which has been changed and changed again recently)

Last time I was out there, I was 'robbed' by Maoists at a place called Poon Hill, dropping back down into Pokhara after over a month spent tabbing about the high mountain plateau (not far from the Gurkha selection place where Minty would have been), although I have to say that it was the most pleasant robbery I've ever been involved in ?! He didn't even raise his voice when I initially told him to 'Fook Off' and then politely explained his political stance and gave me a receipt from a ticket book to ensure his mates didn't rob me again on the way down the valley. On the other hand I've heard that these 'rebels' have wiped out entire villages (?)

Your Dad's right LT, you could spend a month at 5,000m plus in any weather but it's getting the bus back to Pokhara/Kathmandu that would see you off ! Have a good trip when you get there, PM me if you need any tips for trekking (conditions, kit, etc, although if your dad has been then he should be clued up on everything)
  7. I have just returned from Nepal having been out there for 2 weeks of Paragliding.I would like to point out that there are Moaist attacks going on daily, not far from tourist areas such as Pokhara where I based myself.If you plan to go to Pokhara from Kathmandu I would advise you to fly, which is safer and you wont be delayed by attacks and check points on route.A bus was blown up while I was there (it was not the target)but did not have any westerners on board.When a tourist is caught up in it then it will severely effect the fragile tourism they have at present.Just use common sense where you go once there.With things as they are at the moment everything is Very cheap.A Hotel room 3 Pounds, Fillet steak 2 Pounds and Beer just over a pound! If anyone is going to Pokhara if you have time take a Tandem Paraglider flight from the local company Sunrise Paragliding who are very well organised.Having spoken to the CO of the Gurkha camp just outside Pokhara whilst I was there, he is very much in favour of Unit expeds staying in his camp for future reference.
    Hope this is usefull
  8. Hmm, bad week to have been in Kathmandu this week, eh.

Hope you're all OK to anyone out there right now.

Then we can all get back to having our adventures and get the tourist scene back on its feet.
  9. look out for the urban tigers if you're out & about (preferably sitting in a taxi) late at night in pokhara!
  10. I've spent half an hour getting jack out of the search function, hoping someone can enlighten me on an accommodation issue. I remember somewhere on arrse that there's a trekker's hotel run by an ex Para in Nepal - but can't pin it down. Any suggestions?

(Awaiting obvious link feeling appropriately silly)
  11. I was in Nepal for two weeks in April, and went to Kathmandu, Pokhara, Annapurna region and Chitwan national park. It is probably the safest bit of real estate on the planet.
    The main danger is getting run over when crossing the street in Kathmandu, or being involved in a crash when using the Pokhara-Kathmandu 'road'. The Maoist thing is a total non-issue right now, and even at its height they never deliberately hurt visitors, though some were caught up in fisticuffs during demos and "bandhs" (strikes and blockades).
    Go, and enjoy this immensely beautiful country and its wonderful people.
    I can't wait to go back.
  12. Anywhere that the tourists go, there are loads of nice, clean, cheap and friendly lodges. You won't have to look for one.