Nepal Has Fallen

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by RCT(V), Jan 6, 2018.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I believe, in theory, there is nothing debarring any Nepali from service in the British Army. In practice, it doesn't happen.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Also, Nepali asylum seekers are likely to be as authentic as child asylum seekers if it earns them extra rights.

3. At the risk of sounding pedantic, ex-Gurkha soldiers were not granted citizenship.

I only make the point because there is an ongoing demand by ex-Gurkha soldiers and dependents who were granted right to remain, that an exception be made to the granting of citizenship for them so that (a) They wouldn't have to pay the fee and (b) wouldn't have to sit the Citizenship Test which is now mandatory for citizenship applications.

It's further complicated because Nepal does not allow dual nationality and no Gurkha wants to surrender their Nepalese citizenship, so those who do take up UK citizenship, turn a blind eye to that.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. To be fair, it has happened. One of my instructors at 28 AEC in 1981 had a distinctly Tibetan name. Not only do Gurkas from non-traditional sources have different tribal/jat names they are quite different facially, looking more 'Indian'.

5. Yes. Formerly 7th and 10th GR recruited from the Limbus and Rais of Eastern Nepal whereas the other regiments recruited from the Gurungs and Tamangs from the Western area (Gorkha), Clerks tended to come from the Cheteris and Newars

I imagine that even if Sherpa Tenzing had wanted to become a Gurkha soldier, he would not have got very far with his application,

• Informative Informative x 1