Nepal Has Fallen

Nepal Has Fallen

Oh dear! Does this mean there could now be a higher demand for (service) housing in Wales?

Possibly "old" news, but this is the first I have seen, and it has not been mentioned before on ARRSE, or by the MSM.

"The . . . powerful Communist party, the Communist Party of Nepal (Unified Marxist-Leninist) recently acquired the levers of power in Kathmandu after a democratic election. According to all international observers, the Communists in Nepal have close connections to the Chinese Communist Party in Beijing. This all but guarantees that rustic and rural Nepal will become a Chinese satellite on the border with India, a close American ally and a long-time opponent of China owing to a border dispute thatonce erupted in violence".

" . . . Nepal is not high on Washington’s list of foreign policy priorities. The mountainous nation, which is consumed by the massive Himalayas, is mostly known for its Buddhism and its Gurkhas—a warrior people who still provide mercenary services for the British, Indian, and Singaporean armies".

Published by: Benjamin Welton, on January 2, 2018
Copyright of: The Zeroth Position . . The premier site for libertarian reactionary thought.
Nepal Has Fallen - The Zeroth Position

Is Gerard Butler in it?

It's fallen? I bet a cat pushed it.

It's my fault for leaving it near the edge of the coffee table

Last edited:
Nepal Has Fallen

" . . . Nepal is not high on Washinton’s list of foreign policy priorities. The mountainous nation, which is consumed by the massive Himalayas, is mostly known for its Buddhism and its Gurkhas—a warrior people who still provide mercenary services for the British, Indian, and Singaporean armies".
So, no Op. Nepali Freedom for the US to get embroiled in then?

Oh, what a shame...:roll:

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
I wonder if the incoming regime will stop the recruiting of its citizens by the imperialist British.

For a moment I thought you meant the annual Corruption Perception Index which is published each January by Transparency International.

This January's not out yet but Nepal did indeed fall one place down from 130 to tying at 131 last year with some other considered equally corrupt nations.
Still above Nigeria though (just).
Denmark & NZ are usually seen to be the least corrupt, UK usually come around 10th.

1 Denmark
1 New Zealand
… …..
131 Iran
131 Kazakhstan
131 Nepal
131 Russia
131 Ukraine
136 Guatemala
136 Kyrgyzstan
136 Lebanon
136 Myanmar
136 Nigeria
… ….
175 South Sudan
176 Somalia

Nepal Has Fallen

Oh dear! Does this mean there could now be a higher demand for (service) housing in Wales?

Possibly "old" news, but this is the first I have seen, and it has not been mentioned before on ARRSE, or by the MSM.

"The . . . powerful Communist party, the Communist Party of Nepal (Unified Marxist-Leninist) recently acquired the levers of power in Kathmandu after a democratic election. According to all international observers, the Communists in Nepal have close connections to the Chinese Communist Party in Beijing. This all but guarantees that rustic and rural Nepal will become a Chinese satellite on the border with India, a close American ally and a long-time opponent of China owing to a border dispute thatonce erupted in violence".

" . . . Nepal is not high on Washington’s list of foreign policy priorities. The mountainous nation, which is consumed by the massive Himalayas, is mostly known for its Buddhism and its Gurkhas—a warrior people who still provide mercenary services for the British, Indian, and Singaporean armies".

Published by: Benjamin Welton, on January 2, 2018
Copyright of: The Zeroth Position . . The premier site for libertarian reactionary thought.
Nepal Has Fallen - The Zeroth Position

"Mostly known for its Buddhism and Its Gurkhas" who are, of course, Hindu. And 'consumed' by the Himalayas? Eaten? Anyway, should be 'Himalaya'.

Bah.

Which I personally can live with, as they have served the Crown for a couple of centuries. More than can be said for 80% of those claiming asylum currently
Not really... for two reasons.

The Gurkhas are almost entirely recruited from a small handful of hill tribes. The majority of Nepalis have nothing whatsoever to do with the Gurkhas.

The Gurkhas are essentially mercenaries. Their service to the Crown is tied inextricably to the favourable ToS with the British Army in comparison to the Indian Army and Singaporean Army Gurkhas, who they will quite happily serve with as a second option if they dip selection.

A comparable ToS was fixed by treaty with the Indian Government at independence in order that Britain didn't get the cream of the crop. The terms of this treaty agreement have slowly fallen by the wayside. Their 'loyalty' is now further enhanced by the promise of automatic British citizenship at end of service, as well as right to remain for their extended families.

Last edited:
Not really... for two reasons.

The Gurkhas are almost entirely recruited from a small handful of hill tribes. The majority of Nepalis have nothing whatsoever to do with the Gurkhas.

The Gurkhas are essentially mercenaries. There service to the Crown is tied inextricably to the favourable ToS with the British Army in comparison to the Indian Army and Singaporean Army Gurkhas, who they will quite happily serve with as a second option if they dip selection.

A comparable ToS was fixed by treaty with the Indian Government at independence in order that Britain didn't get the cream of the crop. The terms of this treaty agreement have slowly fallen by the wayside. Their 'loyalty' is now further enhanced by the promise of automatic British citizenship at end of service, as well as right to remain for their extended families.
Give you an informative there Provo because I thought in my general ignorance that all Nepalese had the chance to try for HM Forces. My point being that they have more claim than most

Their 'loyalty' is now further enhanced by the promise of automatic British citizenship at end of service, as well as right to remain for their extended families.
At the risk of sounding pedantic, ex-Gurkha soldiers were not granted citizenship.

I only make the point because there is an ongoing demand by ex-Gurkha soldiers and dependents who were granted right to remain, that an exception be made to the granting of citizenship for them so that (a) They wouldn't have to pay the fee and (b) wouldn't have to sit the Citizenship Test which is now mandatory for citizenship applications.

It's further complicated because Nepal does not allow dual nationality and no Gurkha wants to surrender their Nepalese citizenship, so those who do take up UK citizenship, turn a blind eye to that.

I believe, in theory, there is nothing debarring any Nepali from service in the British Army. In practice, it doesn't happen.
To be fair, it has happened. One of my instructors at 28 AEC in 1981 had a distinctly Tibetan name. Not only do Gurkas from non-traditional sources have different tribal/jat names they are quite different facially, looking more 'Indian'.

To be fair, it has happened. One of my instructors at 28 AEC in 1981 had a distinctly Tibetan name. Not only do Gurkas from non-traditional sources have different tribal/jat names they are quite different facially, looking more 'Indian'.
Yes. Formerly 7th and 10th GR recruited from the Limbus and Rais of Eastern Nepal whereas the other regiments recruited from the Gurungs and Tamangs from the Western area (Gorkha), Clerks tended to come from the Cheteris and Newars

I imagine that even if Sherpa Tenzing had wanted to become a Gurkha soldier, he would not have got very far with his application,