NELSON'S COLUMN

There is a bit in today's Guardian by Afua Hirsch calling for Nelson's Column to be removed from Trafalagar Square. Afua has his nether garments in a twist as he reckons the noble Lord was a slave owner. If he has a point, and I don't think he has, maybe we also expunge other Nelsons from history? After Horatio Nelson why not target Nelson Mandella?

This is just another go at people who in their time were considered great but of course times change. The Rhodes must fall group, which started in South Africa, tried a couple of years ago to get a statue of Cecil Rhodes removed from Oxford. Rhodes did many things in his life. Among these he had two countries names after him and left money to finance Rhodes Scholarships. The student leading the Rhodes must fall group in Oxford was from South African who was over here on one of the fore mentioned Rhodes Scholarships.

Perhaps we should start with that statue of Nelson Mandela in Parliament Square, after all one mans freedom fighter is another mans terrorist

Sadly we are doomed, with a 'chippy 'make up like that we are stuffed.

Afua Hirsch (born 12 June 1981) is a writer, broadcaster, barrister and human rights development worker of Ghanaian, English and Jewish heritage.[1] She is the Social Affairs and Education Editor for Sky News and was previously a correspondent for the British newspaper The Guardian.

Sadly we are doomed, with a 'chippy 'make up like that we are stuffed.

Afua Hirsch (born 12 June 1981) is a writer, broadcaster, barrister and human rights development worker of Ghanaian, English and Jewish heritage.[1] She is the Social Affairs and Education Editor for Sky News and was previously a correspondent for the British newspaper The Guardian.
She doesn't have a disability?

With a name like that he sounds like she should be robbing an off licence, wait are stereotypes still only allowed for others to use?

I think we should use the 4th plinth as a monument to the forgotten victims of slavery - namely the thousands of English people kidnapped from their homes during raids by slavers and taken to north Africa to live a life of pure hell.

Of course reminding self righteous social justice warriors that slavery was practised across multiple continents by just about everyone doesn't fit into their agenda. Personally I'd love to do a 'who do you think you are' show that finds out that a bunch of these peoples families were owners of white slaves in Africa - just to see how they react...

She doesn't have a disability?
Well she works for an organisation that publicly deplores the use of tax havens, but only survives because it's parent company is based in the Cayman Islands for tax purposes

Surely that's a sign of a mental disability, as what kind of right thinking person would work for such an organisation ?

And so it begins.

I knew this would happen, Nelson wasn't a slave owner but he did consider it a 'necessarily evil'. A freed slave also saved his life when he was ill on the voyage back from Nicuaguar.

I've pointed it out in my thread about dunkirk, but there's an image of a black fellow at the bottom of the column. If we get rid of Nelson we'll also be getting rid of the first example of ethnic diversity in our country's history.

Nevermind though aye, what's history matter if you ignore historical methodology and impose a 21st Century mindset on it?

Whilst we're at it we should get rid of Ghandi cos he was a racist against black people, we should also sue the Italian government because the Romans owned British slaves. And we should knock down the Roman stuff at Bath too, the dirty racists!

On a more serious note, Nelson was a boyhood hero of mine and the day Nelson's column is attacked or torn down is the day this country is truly dead. How can Britannia Rule the waves if we no longer believe in Britannia?

The problem is this dumbass is encouraging the looney left to take this issue up, and they tend to have a majority in diverse and hip places like London. I can see Nelson's Column being a target of vandalism because of her article.

She should have titled it 'How to start a civil war'. If she's truly concerned about diversity and equality she shouldn't be re-writing this country's history and causing a divison amongst so many people with half truths and facts taken completely out of context.

Perhaps we should start with that statue of Nelson Mandela in Parliament Square, after all one mans freedom fighter is another mans terrorist
Or both, considering he admitted to terrorism for his cause

Terrorism being the act intended to terrorise rather than just the actual acts impact
But of course terrorist/freedom fighter are good political words for someones goals that you dislike or like

Soon be lots of vacant pillars for our arty farty types to park bizarre things on.
Surely Queen Victoria needs culling after all she oversaw an Imperial Empire that did nasty things to over 3/4 of the world.

It was a lot easier when we could just tell these people what to think.

There is a bit in today's Guardian by Afua Hirsch calling for Nelson's Column to be removed from Trafalagar Square. Afua has his nether garments in a twist as he reckons the noble Lord was a slave owner. If he has a point, and I don't think he has, maybe we also expunge other Nelsons from history? After Horatio Nelson why not target Nelson Mandella?

This is just another go at people who in their time were considered great but of course times change. The Rhodes must fall group, which started in South Africa, tried a couple of years ago to get a statue of Cecil Rhodes removed from Oxford. Rhodes did many things in his life. Among these he had two countries names after him and left money to finance Rhodes Scholarships. The student leading the Rhodes must fall group in Oxford was from South African who was over here on one of the fore mentioned Rhodes Scholarships.
This kind of rubbish is the guardian at it's worst.

Nelson was rightly honoured for his military service.

His views on slavery, though abhorrent to our modern ways, shouldn't come into it

Last edited: