Nelson voted greatest British military hero of all time

#4
What about Dowding or Park?
 
#5
Greatest military hero? or Greatest military leader?
Two different things. VC and bar would be hero.
Commanding the battlefield on land or sea and winning.....?????
I would suggest that of Leaders in Battle, Nelson put himself in harms way more than any other contender and gets my vote.
Cannot remember reading about Wellingon being in the fray of battle or losing an arm or eye or his life.

edited once
 
#6
Sir Francis Drake was the better leader/hero surely?
 
#7
Drake had the weather on his side....
Wellingont had the Huns on his side at Waterloo.....
Nelson had his 'Engage the enemy more closely' atttitude and lead from the front.
 
#8
exile1 said:
Drake had the weather on his side....
Wellingont had the Huns on his side at Waterloo.....
Nelson had his 'Engage the enemy more closely' atttitude and lead from the front.
All three deserve the recognition of being great leaders and military commanders. However there is a certain amount of luck involved in any battle. The real question is which battle had the most impact on Britain as a nation?

Defeating the Armada?
Defeating Napoleon?
The battle of Britain?

I think Henry VIII should get an award for telling the Pope where to get off in the first place.
 
#9
exile1 said:
Drake had the weather on his side....
Wellingont had the Huns on his side at Waterloo.....
Nelson had his 'Engage the enemy more closely' atttitude and lead from the front.
And Michael Bentine had Panzers on his side in his re-enactment of Waterloo in Potty Time.

Classic :D
 
#10
Sorry Exile 1 - but that the fact that Wellington came through his battles unscathed and Nelson didn't was pure chance.

Nelson was a psychotic egotist and certainly never worried about lives of his men. Wellington was not only fighting the French, most of the time he was fighting his own government. He had to worry about army resources.
And his prime motivator was Duty, not ego.

And as Prime Minister, he did more to ease the 'Irish' problem than any other.
 
#11
3 alternative selections:

Second Lieutenant Charles Hazlitt Upham
Captain Noel Godfrey Chavasse
Surgeon Captain Arthur Martin-Leake

All VC and Bar....................
 
#12
I thought we were talking about heroes?
Duty and being a politician is not being a hero.
Wellington thought his men were scum of the earth.
Si9tting on a hill overlookinga battlefield is not being a hero.
Napoleon also did that.
A hero is one who is at the forefront of the battle,
puts his own life on the line and leads by example.
Nelson to a tee!
 
#13
Wellie is my hero. Apart from signing the Cintra document he never put a foot wrong.
And at Assaye and Waterloo he was always in the line of fire. Pure chance saved him.
Perhaps he never gave full credit to his troops, neither did Nelson. According to Nelson it was his brilliance that won at Aboukir Bay, in fact it was the idea of one of his officers, and could never have been achieved without brilliant seamanship of jolly jack.
Whereas, Salamanca, Assaye, and the Torres of .....whatsit and many others I'm now to pissed to rember were Old Nosey's
 

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
#14
exile1 said:
Greatest military hero? or Greatest military leader?
Two different things. VC and bar would be hero.
Commanding the battlefield on land or sea and winning.....?????
I would suggest that of Leaders in Battle, Nelson put himself in harms way more than any other contender and gets my vote.
Cannot remember reading about Wellingon being in the fray of battle or losing an arm or eye or his life.

edited once
Exile, your memory is letting you down or you're reading the wrong books.

"...no one took a seat at his table except Alava, though it was laid for all his personal staff. The Duke looked up anxiously every time the door opened. Could it be one of his missing young men? When hope had vanished he held up both hands and said,
'The hand of Almighty God has been upon me this day.'"

Quoted from "Wellington - The Years of the Sword", Elizabeth Longford, Wiedenfeld & Nelson 1969

Most of his Staff were killed or wounded at Waterloo in the close proximity of Wellington himself. The Earl of Uxbridge lost a leg to a cannonball and Wellington had to catch him in his saddle to stop him falling, that's how close he was and that was just one of his battles. He did not gain his reputation by hiding at the back. Shame on you sir, you are clearly a Bonapartist.
 
#15
FORMER_FYRDMAN said:
exile1 said:
Greatest military hero? or Greatest military leader?
Two different things. VC and bar would be hero.
Commanding the battlefield on land or sea and winning.....?????
I would suggest that of Leaders in Battle, Nelson put himself in harms way more than any other contender and gets my vote.
Cannot remember reading about Wellingon being in the fray of battle or losing an arm or eye or his life.

edited once
Exile, your memory is letting you down or you're reading the wrong books.

"...no one took a seat at his table except Alava, though it was laid for all his personal staff. The Duke looked up anxiously every time the door opened. Could it be one of his missing young men? When hope had vanished he held up both hands and said,
'The hand of Almighty God has been upon me this day.'"

Quoted from "Wellington - The Years of the Sword", Elizabeth Longford, Wiedenfeld & Nelson 1969

Most of his Staff were killed or wounded at Waterloo in the close proximity of Wellington himself. The Earl of Uxbridge lost a leg to a cannonball and Wellington had to catch him in his saddle to stop him falling, that's how close he was and that was just one of his battles. He did not gain his reputation by hiding at the back. Shame on you sir, you are clearly a Bonapartist.
:bow:
 
#16
What about:

HENRY V (r. 1413-1422)

Soon after his accession, Henry V laid claim to the French crown. Stern and ruthless, Henry was a brilliant general who had gained military experience in his teens, when he fought alongside his father at the battle of Shrewsbury.

In 1415, Henry set sail for France, capturing Harfleur. His offer to the French Dauphin of personal combat (Richard I and Edward III had made similar offers in their time) was, like those of his predecessors, refused; he went on to defeat the French at the Battle of Agincourt.

In alliance with unreliable Burgundy, and assisted by his brothers (the Dukes of Clarence, Bedford and Gloucester), Henry gained control of Normandy in subsequent campaigns. By the Treaty of Troyes (1420), he gained recognition as heir to the French throne, and married Charles VI's daughter Katherine.

Well educated, Henry had a particular interest in liturgical music; he gave pensions to well-known composers of his time, and a hymn of praise to God, which he ordered sung after Agincourt, still exists. However, Henry's success was short lived and he died of dysentery in 1422 in Bois de Vincennes, France.

Not just for Agincourt either.
 
#18
Nelson was at this time, in all the excitement of action, pacing the
quarter-deck. A shot through the mainmast knocked the splinters about;
and he observed to one of his officers with a smile, "It is warm work,
and this day may be the last to any of us at a moment:"--and then
stopping short at the gangway, added, with emotion--"But mark you!
I would not be elsewhere for thousands."
-Copenhagen

The man was a fanatic imho, almost similar to those Mujahideen chaps, but instead of 'jihad' it's for 'King & Country'. He clearly wanted to die the most glorious death possible & this explains his audacious manoeuvres. ‘Glory is my object, & that alone’.

I agree with Nelson being the essential hero, he destroyed the combined French & Spanish fleets as well as being involved in numerous other battles, whereby his dash & ardour would put Hornblower to shame.. But I think he really deserves recognition because he mastered a new kind of victory- the complete annihilation of the enemy.

&tc,

~D.C.
 
#19
Well I'll give you that Murphy - but he let the side down by dying too soon. Had he lived a few more months. France would have been ours. But his son was too young, and his brothers couldn't hold it against that french bint!
 
#20
Dashing_Chap said:
Nelson was at this time, in all the excitement of action, pacing the
quarter-deck. A shot through the mainmast knocked the splinters about;
and he observed to one of his officers with a smile, "It is warm work,
and this day may be the last to any of us at a moment:"--and then
stopping short at the gangway, added, with emotion--"But mark you!
I would not be elsewhere for thousands."
-Copenhagen

The man was a fanatic imho, almost similar to those Mujahideen chaps, but instead of 'jihad' it's for 'King & Country'. He clearly wanted to die the most glorious death possible & this explains his audacious manoeuvres. ‘Glory is my object, & that alone’.

I agree with Nelson being the essential hero, he destroyed the combined French & Spanish fleets as well as being involved in numerous other battles, whereby his dash & ardour would put Hornblower to shame.. But I think he really deserves recognition because he mastered a new kind of victory- the complete annihilation of the enemy.

&tc,

~D.C.
If he was that great why did the Admiralty beach him for nearly a decade? The man was psychotic! Yes, he secured the seas. But the war continued for another 10 years before Wellington before gave us final victory and peace in Europe for another 40 years.
And excuse me, but Royal annihilated the French and Spanish Fleet at Gibraltar (sorry wrong war - I am pissed)
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Z The Book Club 0
AT55 The Intelligence Cell 604
Bluebell Minor Cookery 3

Similar threads

Top