Nelson Mandela, meet Ghandi

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by ukdaytona, Sep 20, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Dunno if this is Current Affairs or just good old Ken stirring it up but looks like he has lined up the follow up act to Nelson Mandela in Parliament Square...........

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7004087.stm

To quote "You get millions of people from all over the world who come to see Big Ben and see the statue of Churchill and so on, and here's someone they would understand.

"In a thousand years they'll still know who Mahatma Gandhi was, whereas if you wander round Trafalgar Square, the two generals there, you have to go and check the history books."

2. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

I suspect he's over egging it a bit, Ghandi was a good egg but a thousand years, I don't think so.

3. Ghandi and Mandela are both great, great men but why can't we for once be proud of our nations history and place British heroes and monarchs there?

It still disgusts me that the suggestion for a statue commemorating the Battle of Britain was rejected for Trafalgar Square yet that of a naked, disabled pregnant nobody was accepted.

How about commisioning a series of statues for post war VC and GC winners?

4. What about a statue of Hitler, then Ken? High recognition factor there. :roll:

5. Quote Ken Livingstone:

"In a thousand years they'll still know who Mahatma Gandhi was, whereas if you wander round Trafalgar Square, the two generals there, you have to go and check the history books."

Yes indeed Ken, mainly because of people like yourself who have ensured that a generation of British schoolchildren have never been taught the history of their country and their people.