Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nelson finally gets called out by BLM/Woke NMM

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
The biggest problem is that those trouble makers are pushing at an open door.

History shows that it is all utter nonsense, but it’s going to take someone very high up with the balls to throw the actual facts at these bullies before things get any better.
This is a positive move:
Usual wailing from the usual quarters:

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
More to the point, why are white Englishmen/women the only people on earth who are to be vilified for being proud of their heritage?
The unfashionable response might be because we've done far, far more good than harm and people are looking to try and knock us off our pedestal.

If you look at this country's core values, they are among the most tolerant - if not the most tolerant - in the world.

The Marxists don't like that.

More irony than Steptoe's yard:

irony.PNG

Complains about ignorance; can't post image properly.

Awol

LE
A couple of years ago there was a TV programme about Nelson that was nothing more than a subtle hatchet job (BBC I think).

The premise was that despite being a hero, Nelson was flawed.

The reality is the opposite, in that despite being flawed, Nelson was a hero.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
A couple of years ago there was a TV programme about Nelson that was nothing more than a subtle hatchet job (BBC I think).

Oh, perhaps, a hero in spite of being flawed?

Show me a perfect leader.

(Hint: Not Mao or Stalin.)

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Benn the one with the privileged posh background, bet his ancestors strayed - off to 'Google' Anthony Wedgewood Benn. Just done it - Woops, his Dad was Secretary of State for India back in the late 20s, not good!
Or the lovely, benevolent Nye - the one who also said:

"What is Toryism but organised spivvery? … No amount of cajolery can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred for the Tory Party … So far as I am concerned they are lower than vermin."

Yep, not given to generalising then...

On the other hand, how does the Far Left square this away:

"The eyes of the world are turning to Great Britain. We now have the moral leadership of the world and before many years we shall have people coming here as to a modern Mecca, learning from us in the twentieth century as they learned from us in the seventeenth century."

Doublethink, I guess.

Wee Hawken

Old-Salt
I don't get the veneration of Nelson frankly.

If I behaved as he did, I'd be fired in half a heartbeat. Yes, he won against the French (huzzah!), but there are plenty of RN Officers who did.

Perhaps we should widen the aperture to people like Collingwood, Franklin, Ross (either), ABC, Bruce Fraser et al, rather than just concentrating on one individual?
Or Cochrane? Possibly the most petulant officer in Naval history but a great fighting record.

But again that conceit from some that to be good at one thing you've got to be flawless, otherwise all of your achievements are worth nothing.

You really don't, and it's nonsense.
Conversely if you are deemed to be bad - then you cannot have any positive remarks a bout you

For example i caused much frothing outrage and howls of nazi apologist when I said Hitler was a very good speaker - he knew how to work a crowd?

For added Irony the very same people who said you cant say something good about Hitler** are the same people who cite things like the nuremburg rally as how the population can be lead by rhetoric.

In otherwords they are in complete agrement that Hitler was a good orator - but just cannot credit a positive ability

**Trump was another one - I attempted to debate why people voted for him "im not having a conversation if something good is said about Trump" was the response

You might want to ask the denizens of Bella Napoli about Nelson. He rather enthusiastically executed a large number of revolutionaries on behalf of the Bourbon Kingdom of the Two Sicilys, from the yardarms of his ships, as he spent an extended period ashore shagging Lady Hamilton; indeed officers were sent out from the Admiralty to persuade him to return to sea. Without a doubt, a brilliant strategist, but still flawed.

syrup

LE
If we are looking at attacking people simply due to flawed characteristics the big book of British Hero's through the ages will simply be blank pages.

You might want to ask the denizens of Bella Napoli about Nelson. He rather enthusiastically executed a large number of revolutionaries on behalf of the Bourbon Kingdom of the Two Sicilys, from the yardarms of his ships, as he spent an extended period ashore shagging Lady Hamilton; indeed officers were sent out from the Admiralty to persuade him to return to sea. Without a doubt, a brilliant strategist, but still flawed.

Flawed? Killing Eyeties and shagging on the job? Sounds pretty much like a Top Boy to me.

Awol

LE
Hanging villains? Shagging the nobility?

Sorry, I just can’t see the flaws. :)

Latest Threads