Negligent discharge*

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Had one genius arseing about with an Uzi one night while bored off his tits on stag. His story was he took the mag out and cocked it a few times, made sure it was clear, stuck the mag back in and squeezed the trigger...

Unlike the R1/FAL, it doesn't fire from a closed bolt and he put a round through the front door of the building he was meant to be guarding. Fortunately (sic) only the one round.
Sennelager early 90's sitting at dinner in Permanent Staff Officers' Mess, when all of a sudden all the various duty officer's pagers start going off.
Including mine. Change of guard at front gate. As relief is approaching, guard on stag, playfully cocks weapon with a casual who goes there. However it would appear that safety was not on and he had finger on trigger, round picked up from magazine, slide into breech and fired in one easy movement.
Relief took round through mouth, hence why my pager went off, however it went in the oral cavity and exited through the back of the skull. So whilst there was not much for myself to do, there was plenty of paper work for duty officer, duty RMP officer and duty MO.

And yet you are still alive...
Why dont you **** off you piss soaked old ****. Ive told you that once already. You are a dripping, festering knobthroat and should kill yourself right now. Throbber
Thanks for demonstrating why you shouldn't be allowed anything more dangerous than a butter knife, you piss stained, drunken failure.

A quick question here, how many of you guys who served in Ulster did foot patrols with one round in the chamber and safety catch on/off?
If you got more than one round in the chamber you had a double fead and a stoppage.

I am lead to believe it was common practice for top cover to be made ready but safety on for one of the Para Bns in West Belfast in the mid 70s.

If you got more than one round in the chamber you had a double fead and a stoppage.

I am lead to believe it was common practice for top cover to be made ready but safety on for one of the Para Bns in West Belfast in the mid 70s.
I had heard a lot about this, I was on my first tour in 72 but was posted to the regiment after they had arrived in Derry, I had no IS training prior to joining them. I had to drive a land rover doing SDS and mail runs so that rifle was lodged down my right hand side with the butt toward the front of the vehicle and we had no doors on the front of the vehicle.

Two guys standing up at the rear and of course my barrel was facing rearwards so I worried what would happen in the event of a traffic accident. Therefore I never put one round in the chamber, safety catch or not, you never know. But I was not even sure if this, putting one round in the chamber was normal practice.

@Eric England My recollection is that I had my rifle the other way round, no idea why, it just could be that it was pointed forward as I got in and the barrel fitted in better than the butt.

As to the made ready, it was not a practice used in our Bn (but saying that you never know what individuals commanders are doing). But this SOP was related to me from a friend who was a commander on our hand/take over team. He was doing top cover with one of their guys and was taken back by the soldier making ready as they drove out the gate.

Rifle team from RAF Croughton had a match against TA at their armoury. It was all .22 stuff on an indoor range. When one group finished firing, they would adjourn to the bar. We had also brought some .22 pistols along for the TA to fire. At some point, one of them - don't know if he'd been at the bar or not - asked if he could look at one of the pistols. "Sure." He picked it up and almost immediately there was a shot. The bullet struck the concrete floor and the splatter struck one of our NCOs in the pants legs. No injuries, thank God, but the TA was immediately marched out and to the CO's office. The match was only half over but when we departed - past the CO's office door - the reaming, boring and counter-sinking was still in progress and very loud.