Negative Temperatures

Discussion in 'The Science Forum' started by Dashing_Chap, Jan 10, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This is nuts:

The Escapist : News : Scientists Chill Atoms to Negative Temperatures

and

How to create temperatures below absolute zero - physics-math - 01 December 2010 - New Scientist

Reverse entropy, that breaks the foundation of physics/ 2nd Law of Thermodynamics!?

2. davidflies

davidflies War Hero Book Reviewer

Or rewrites it?

3. Perhaps, but that's a very big deal.

It might mean things like perpetual motion machines could exist and unlimited energy etc.

The universe is meant to get unstable because entropy increases with time. If entropy decreases in time the entire world has been turned upside down. It's akin to a cup of tea warming up from the temperature of the room rather than the temperature of the tea dissipating into the room temperature.

4. Discussions like this make my brain hurt...

5. I had a similar problem with a leg of wild boar in my deep freeze, I'd turned the deepfreeze to supercool to cope with the very large joint, the effect was the leg froze so fast that it was still warm!

6. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

The old conundrum of does hot water freeze faster than cold?

7. No but warm water does

8. IOT finally had a programme about it but failed to cover this story in detail:

BBC Radio 4 - In Our Time, Absolute Zero

9. I wouldn't like to comment on your chances, but I think it an entirely admirable ambition. Go for it and let us know how you get on