Needlework, sewing and crochet forum

Grownup_Rafbrat

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Success! First small repair job carried out (using my Speedy Stitcher) on my baseball cap, replacing the old broken velcro straps with a snap-together set cannibalized from a gash one. Seems a sturdy enough job - using the coarse waxed thread that came on the bobbin fitted inside the Stitcher.
Anything that stands still in your house is gonna get stitched now!

This is ridiculously cheap… all my pairs of gloves now clip together so that I lose them both at once.
It's probably unbecoming for an adult to have string running across both sleeves of your coat attached to your gloves (idiot mittens), but it does work.

It's probably unbecoming for an adult to have string running across both sleeves of your coat attached to your gloves (idiot mittens), but it does work.
Unless you catch one in the car door, then you’ll punch yourself in the head…

yeah, I know… Billy Connolly walt…

This is ridiculously cheap… all my pairs of gloves now clip together so that I lose them both at once.
You've only got two pairs of gloves?

That's very sporting of you,
I much prefer a finder to have the benefit of a single glove rather than present them with a pair ;-}

naffnickname

MIA
Book Reviewer
I like the Tumbling Blocks one , three diamonds sewn together side on to make a hexagon, join hexagons. Repeated in the same colours it has a pleasingly Escher 3D effect

Bernina make the only two still-mechanical quality electric machines on the market. They have two models which are used as workhorses in colleges and schools. They also have the weight that allows them to deal with heavy fabrics.

Please save me half hour in research. What are the model numbers of these two Berninas please?

naffnickname

MIA
Book Reviewer
Mine is a 1008 but it it s few years old, there was a 1008S.

Apparently still available in some countries new, the Bernina website is showing the 1008 as not available in the UK

Lots of Second hand ones still about, of varying age and well worth the buy.

Looks from the Bernina website that they have gone all electronic bar possibly starter models like the 'Bernette by Bernina B33' on sale here through a singer outlet - a basic machine at a low price - they are chucking in all sorts of stuff on the chat line.

Personally I would now go for older used models anyway - see makes given in several previous posts of mine. IF looking at a Berninan 1008 / 1008s - an Amazon product write up summarises them as :

"The legendary 1008 model is the last purely mechanical sewing machine in the BERNINA range, and has been a bestseller for decades. Extremely easy to use, it features the outstanding BERNINA stitch quality, infinitely adjustable stitch length and width, slim free-arm, feed-dog drop and a robust metal housing. This makes the 1008 a practical, fully-fledged companion for sewing garments, gifts and accessories, as well as for quilting."

TamH70

MIA
I finally finished a project l started way before the first lockdown. It's a bi-colour water bottle pouch, suitable for a half-litre container, with a 600 Denier polyester outer, a water-resistant mid lining, and a soft fabric inner lining.

There were many mistakes along the way, and the stitching is very rough, but l made it and it's mine.

Chalk up another score for the Speedy Stitcher.

Photos later if anyone wants a swatch at it.

Grownup_Rafbrat

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor

clothears

War Hero
I accidentally started a Granny Square crocheted afghan. It's unicorn, sparkly colours.

It's number one son's fault. He collects unicorns and asked me to keep an eye out for a bunk sized set of unicorn sheets and pillow cases. He needs them to pull a prank next spring on a pal. I thught the crochet thingie would be the perfect finishing touch.

Mine is a 1008 but it it s few years old, there was a 1008S.

Apparently still available in some countries new, the Bernina website is showing the 1008 as not available in the UK

Lots of Second hand ones still about, of varying age and well worth the buy.

Looks from the Bernina website that they have gone all electronic bar possibly starter models like the 'Bernette by Bernina B33' on sale here through a singer outlet - a basic machine at a low price - they are chucking in all sorts of stuff on the chat line.

Personally I would now go for older used models anyway - see makes given in several previous posts of mine. IF looking at a Berninan 1008 / 1008s - an Amazon product write up summarises them as :

"The legendary 1008 model is the last purely mechanical sewing machine in the BERNINA range, and has been a bestseller for decades. Extremely easy to use, it features the outstanding BERNINA stitch quality, infinitely adjustable stitch length and width, slim free-arm, feed-dog drop and a robust metal housing. This makes the 1008 a practical, fully-fledged companion for sewing garments, gifts and accessories, as well as for quilting."
Thanks.