Need urgent advice! please

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by RealBomb, Sep 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello everyone, I am new to the forum and hence pardon me for any mistakes that I've made in the conduct. Basically, I have finished my BARB test two weeks ago and my score was (60). I've given the list of jobs that I can apply for and also the medical form. Now that I have got it filled by my doctor; I can give it to the recruitment officer. On the other hand, I have realised that I am not fit for the pre ADSC. I couldn't make it to a 1.5 mile run

I am slim and have an athletic body (Age 20, Height 5'10, Weight 69 Kg) however, I haven't been in any physical activities for a long time and I doubt this would be the reason for the lack of fitness. Would it be okay if I walk into my career office later on (when I am confident about my fitness) with the medical form to carry on with the process? Or should I let me recruiter know about my situation and ask for more time? I don't know how to deal with this situation. I am sure that I can recover in a few weeks time at most a month or two.

Thanks in advance
  2. At risk of being caught out here. Why can't you finish a 1.5mile run? Recover from what exactly? Why do you think asking here, instead of talking to the person that is going to be able to advise you face to face, is a better idea?
  3. You should have a "natural" level of physical fitness being young & of a normal body mass. Have you tried a 1'5mile run yet to see what your time is? Have you tried running for 30-40min at a steady state pace to gauge your aerobic fitness?

There's typically months of waiting between ADSC & going to an ATR. You can get "army basic fit" in 4-8 weeks of steady state runs every other day easily.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Thanks a lot for the encouraging message. I have tried running but the problem is that I run out of breath really fast as I have lost my stamina. However, I can see drastic increase in stamina between each days of training and I am hoping to gain back my real state of health soon enough. I didn't want to tell my recruiter about this because I didn't want to create a negative impression on her. I wanted to be completely fit before getting in for the pre ADSC so that I wouldn't look like a total sack bag.
  5. Wah and at the risk of being in-fracted, again I call Wah!
  6. Admit it. You're. Navy material
  7. I wouldn't worry about it mate, the majority of guys blow off their physical fitness in between ADSC & ITC (as well as every leave block) which is why they get by on "youth" & not being a fatty. You'll get it back in a few weeks with 30-60min steady state runs every other day, just run at a pace you can manage & only stop for 1-2min if you're really breathing out of your hoop.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. What would you rather do. Don't tell your recruiter and not bother going in for months, and look like you don't want it enough and give a bad impression. Or be honest, keep her in the loop and make a better impression?
  9. If your "stamina" isn't up to completing 1.5 miles, are you sure you're applying for the right career? What happens when the 3 milers, the 10 milers etc come up? Some of them carrying full kit. 1.5 miles is, to be honest, a stroll in the park. If that is not achievable at your age and weight, then the further training may be a waste of your and the Army's time. Think about it.
  10. You're idle, work harder.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Thanks for all the responses however I'd like to tell some of the people who're comparing me to others who could run 5 and 10 miles with kits that I never said I couldn't do it. It is natural for a body that was at rest for a particular time period, to take some time for regaining its stamina and physical strength. I used to be in the school Football and cricket team, and also used to run a couple of miles for whilst the training. There is no need to crucify me about it. Thanks for the criticism though. :)
  12. Stop using such a poor excuse. A 20 year old who can't complete a 1.5mile because they are out of breath, is in all honesty not putting in enough effort, or has the right mental attitude.

It shouldn't matter that you haven't run seriously in a while, i hadn't in 7 years when i applied, however i still could atleast finish a 1.5 mile run
    • Like Like x 1
  13. CountryGal

CountryGal LE Book Reviewer

Some recruiting offices - like wembley for example - have an organised weekly run club - thurs night - if you turn up every week you'll get quicker and they will encourage you to get the time you need for your application

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

The OP sounds slightly Central European?
  15. @Dreamseller Calm down mate, there is no need to be so sadistic. I know that I will be able to do it soon enough. About you being able to run 1.5 mile after 7 years break; I really don't know about it. That's your own physical ability, and I can't really be bothered about it. We all are different in our own way. I'm not trying to excuse or say that I can't do it. What I mean is that it would take time for me to reach back to my normal state and that is an educated guess. Anyways, thanks for the tips CountryGal and Drivers_log I will work harder in the coming week.

Any advice on gaining stamina or increasing my running dinstance would be great. What I do right now is wake up at 5 in the morning and go running on a 400 metre ground in a near by park. I do stretching exercises before and after the run (until a couple of days ago, I used to go running everyday).
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.