Need to help with beginning an excercise plan

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Briton, Sep 2, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello, I need some help working out a fitness routine. I basically need help in working out how much i should do at the start and how to build it up, as I dont want to rush into a routine I am not ready for.

I am 17 years old, weigh 11 stone and stand at around 5 foot 8inches. I have recently started exercising but before that (around 2 weeks), I did barely any. Luckily I have been able to keep in shape, mainly as I have a good diet. However I am unhappy with how fit I am in excercise terms and wish to push myself.

My upper body strength does not seem to be too much of an issue as I can manage 50 press ups, 15 pull ups and 50 sit ups. However I am especially interested in improving excerices such as swimming, cycling and especially running.

At the moment, I would say I could run about a kilometre before i need to stop for a breather and walk for a while. I went swimming and managed 50 lengths however I needed to take about a 10-15 second break every time i got to the other end of the pool, which was a bit embarrasing as old ladies swimming near me kept plowing through like steamrollers.

I know it is not wise to start doing too much at the start, so any advice about how i should start would be great. I have given all the information I could think of, however if I have left anything out just ask. Thank you!
  2. Go running?