Need tips to improve runtimes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone, I've been running 2 miles 3 times a week for almost a month now but I've only had very little progress. The runtimes are horrible I know but I have never really ran more than half a mile in my life until a month ago. I want to join the infantry in about 4 months time. Is there anything I can do to speed up my progress ?

These are the runtimes:
Week 1
23:55
20:35
23:49

Week 2
22:19
20:51
21:16

Week 3
21:24
20:14
21:07

Week 4
22:07
18:45

Interval training and fartleks.

Those are brisk-walking speeds.

Bimbling along three times a week, as you have noticed, isn't going to achieve much. Try to find a running-club locally. The cross-country season is coming up so there is lots of training going on.

As JJJ mentioned, applying stress in the form of intervals and Fartlek training will improve your CV by pushing your workrate up momentarily and repeatedly. At an unstructured level, sprint up a hill during your route, or between particular lamp-posts etc. etc.

chimera

LE
Run further, harder, and more often.

As advised above: mix in other training: hard circuit training, sprints etc. Go out with a friend to make things more competetive.

Make sure you do a lot of stretching before and after, and do NOT run with weight on your back.

triggerigger

War Hero
Very long slow (10 miles or more) social chatting run once a week. Good recovery and builds stamina. Pick the pace you want to run at say 7.40 pm run at that pace till you cannot. Walk home. Max 3 runs a week. Recovery is as important as training.

Run at least 5 days per week and 7 if you can manage it
Increase the time / distance gradually to build up your fitness
You should aim for at least 40 minutes running and a time below 8 minutes per mile
Find a local running club. They will help & support you
When you get up to 2.5 miles start entering local 5ks and work up your speed
If you are really keen they stay off the stodgy foods.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
You need to be aiming off for these as a minimum:

Run at least 5 days per week and 7 if you can manage it
Increase the time / distance gradually to build up your fitness
You should aim for at least 40 minutes running and a time below 8 minutes per mile
Find a local running club. They will help & support you
When you get up to 2.5 miles start entering local 5ks and work up your speed
If you are really keen they stay off the stodgy foods.
And booze.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
And booze.
I knew someone who often did an early am fitness test fuelled by a heavy night and kebab the night before. He always passed, but was often chucking up prior to, during and after the run.

(Not recommended for army selection or basic training).

Hi everyone, I've been running 2 miles 3 times a week for almost a month now but I've only had very little progress. The runtimes are horrible I know but I have never really ran more than half a mile in my life until a month ago. I want to join the infantry in about 4 months time. Is there anything I can do to speed up my progress ?

These are the runtimes:
Week 1
23:55
20:35
23:49

Week 2
22:19
20:51
21:16

Week 3
21:24
20:14
21:07

Week 4
22:07
18:45
Sorry to burst you bubble kiddo, but that is not going to cut it. And I am not just saying that to have a go, or be a grumpy old soldier.

To improve your times you need to get some order, aggression and pain into your training....seriously, I am 61 and I can do your times, and I know several others my age who could too. You need to get a plan and not just go for a gentle trot to the bus stop and back again and then kid yourself you are Sebastian Coe.

Fartlek, yes the name does sound silly, is a training approach that will pay dividends if you work at it. Do the slow parts at your normal speed and for the faster interval parts you really need to push it out until it feels like your lungs want to rip their way out of your chest using barbed wire.........No one said being a soldier was easy.

READ THIS ===> The Lost Art of Fartlek

THIS TOO ====> 10 Reasons To Run 10 Miles

When I was working on getting my time down I read up on Fartlek training and adapted it to my need's. I used to go out and gently run a couple of miles to get everything moving and warmed up. Then I had a dual carriageway for a couple of miles with lamposts about every 100 metres that I ran along. The Fartlek/interval part was to sprint from one lamp post to the next, then jog from that lampost to the next, then sprint again, alternating all the way - eventually I used to sprint for 2 lampost distances then jog for one. It builds your cardio and gets the body used to sprinting and moving faster. Then I used to gently run back the last two miles but, sprint in the last half a mile to impress everyone with my speed and manliness.

I used to do 6 miles a day and every Friday afternoon 10 miles, once a month I would do 16 - 18 miles.

If I have a training break for injury or whatever reason I would start off at 3 miles at BFT speed. Then every 5 or 6 days I would bump it up a mile for distance so that within 2 to 3 weeks I was easily back at 6 miles a day again. You should be doing the same, you should not be out 3 times a week, you should be out 5 or 6 times a week. Take a rest day every week to let things heal, take a second if you really need to, I don't mean because you feel like it, but because you need to. And bump it up a half mile to a mile a week until you are easily doing 5 or 6 miles per run...........then once a week go for a killer 10 miler, just go for it, hurts like buggery, and you know you have done it, but you are walking on air afterwards.

Work at it and it is easy, play at it and it is hard.

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads