Need the recipe for gunners.

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Watcher, Apr 22, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Anyone know the recipe for 'gunners'? A mixture of Angostura bitters and ginger beer and ginger ale I think but I'm not sure.

2. From Wankipedia.

3. Thanks mistersoft; I can vouch for drinking it in large quantities in HK!

4. Go easy on the Angostura its a poison....

5. Me too, in Singapore! 8)

6. What proportions are we talking about? Never 'used' bitters otherwise.

7. No more than a few drops, there used to be a warning on the label...

8. I got this pathetic line in a sideways-scuttling hostel masquerading as a mess in deepest Shropshire - damned woman refused to put a dash of bitters in my OJ and lemonade as 'they had been told not to administer poison.'

That's what happens when an utter prole becomes PMC and lets Aramark or Eurest take over.

9. Victorian_Major Your post reminds me of an 'incident' in a Mess at a location that had recently changed hands from the Royal Navy to the Royal Air Force.

A naval officer was enjoying a cigarette before a Mess Dinner. He was approached by the new PMC an RAF officer of equal rank who said:

'Excuse me, but it is not our custom in the RAF to smoke before dinner', to which the naval officer replied:

'My dear fellow you have no customs in the RAF, you have habits, and most of them are bad'.

10. I would just have ignored the Hackett-clad chav and rustled my paper in an irritated manner until he poked off to go and make sure that the 'may contain traces of nuts' signs were correctly displayed on the hotplate.

11. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

As has been mentioned, technically bitters is a poison.

When I worked behind a bar (many years ago), the SOP I was taught was to drip three drops of bitter into a highball glass (standard glass 200ml beaker), swirl it round, then TIP OUT THE BITTERS).

12. A bucket of chips and a pinch of dullard.

13. Take one plank and ...............................

INCOMING!

14. Just found an alternative recipe for Gunners:

There seems to be some confusion over how much Angostura Bitters to put in. This recipe suggests a splash which is equal to a smidgen or the continental touche and corresponds to the exact number of drops required to fill a thingee up to the ish mark.

15. Try 14 Regiment Tizer:

50 ml amaretto
    50 ml white rum
    dash angostura bitters
    dash grenadine
    250 ml ginger ale

Tastse jush like Tizer, sho it doesh....