Need the recipe for gunners.

#1
Anyone know the recipe for 'gunners'? A mixture of Angostura bitters and ginger beer and ginger ale I think but I'm not sure.
 
#2
Gunner is also the name of a cocktail enjoyed by British expats in Hong Kong and other parts of the Far East and India. It consists of equal parts ginger ale and ginger beer with a dash of Angostura bitters. It is regarded as a non-alcoholic drink, although Angostura bitters is 44.7% alcohol by volume. It is famed for its refreshing qualities and is drunk in large quantities in the summer.
From Wankipedia.
 
#3
Thanks mistersoft; I can vouch for drinking it in large quantities in HK!
 
#6
What proportions are we talking about? Never 'used' bitters otherwise.
 
#8
scotlass said:
Go easy on the Angostura its a poison....
I got this pathetic line in a sideways-scuttling hostel masquerading as a mess in deepest Shropshire - damned woman refused to put a dash of bitters in my OJ and lemonade as 'they had been told not to administer poison.'

That's what happens when an utter prole becomes PMC and lets Aramark or Eurest take over.
 
#9
Victorian_Major Your post reminds me of an 'incident' in a Mess at a location that had recently changed hands from the Royal Navy to the Royal Air Force.

A naval officer was enjoying a cigarette before a Mess Dinner. He was approached by the new PMC an RAF officer of equal rank who said:

'Excuse me, but it is not our custom in the RAF to smoke before dinner', to which the naval officer replied:

'My dear fellow you have no customs in the RAF, you have habits, and most of them are bad'.
 
#10
lsquared said:
Victorian_Major Your post reminds me of an 'incident' in a Mess at a location that had recently changed hands from the Royal Navy to the Royal Air Force.

A naval officer was enjoying a cigarette before a Mess Dinner. He was approached by the new PMC an RAF officer of equal rank who said:

'Excuse me, but it is not our custom in the RAF to smoke before dinner', to which the naval officer replied:

'My dear fellow you have no customs in the RAF, you have habits, and most of them are bad'.
I would just have ignored the Hackett-clad chav and rustled my paper in an irritated manner until he poked off to go and make sure that the 'may contain traces of nuts' signs were correctly displayed on the hotplate.
 

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
#11
Watcher said:
What proportions are we talking about? Never 'used' bitters otherwise.
As has been mentioned, technically bitters is a poison.

When I worked behind a bar (many years ago), the SOP I was taught was to drip three drops of bitter into a highball glass (standard glass 200ml beaker), swirl it round, then TIP OUT THE BITTERS).
 
#12
Watcher said:
Anyone know the recipe for 'gunners'? A mixture of Angostura bitters and ginger beer and ginger ale I think but I'm not sure.
A bucket of chips and a pinch of dullard.
 
#14
Just found an alternative recipe for Gunners:

Gunners by tigercore

4 parts Ginger beer
2 parts Whiskey
1 part Lime juice
A splash of Angostura Bitters


Prepare a tall glass with ice to taste followed by your most delicious Whiskey. Add the ginger beer and lime. Finish is off with a splattering of Angostura Bitters, and still to make it nice and red.

Works just as well with Vodka, or with no booze at all for a delicious and refreshing summer drink.

Consume and repeat!
There seems to be some confusion over how much Angostura Bitters to put in. This recipe suggests a splash which is equal to a smidgen or the continental touche and corresponds to the exact number of drops required to fill a thingee up to the ish mark.
 

Similar threads


New Posts

Latest Threads

Top