Need that energy boost.

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Trigger696, Feb 19, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello all,
    Could any of you advise me on what foods i should eat to give me a boost of energy at the end of a 10 hour day inside my van. I feel that after driving 400 miles during the day i have not much energy left for my fitness
    in the evening. I have stopped eating the usuall greasy spoon food and drinking coke. I dont really have the time to stop for a proper meal during the day due to the mileage, so any sort of food i could take with me during the day would be great. I already eat x1 bannana x1 apple x1 tin of tuna every day.
    Any info on "energy" foods would be greatly recieved with thanks.

2. Not eating much there mate. I presume you have no means to warm anything up? Get a nice, big breakfast, then make up some sandwiches; meat and vegetables on a slow-carb bread (wholewheat etc). Stick with slow-carbs so as to maintain a steady blood sugar level all day, rather than peaking and troughing and making you sleepy/likely to eat junk.

Caffeine (from an energy drink, coffee, tablet, etc) will provide you a little stimulation prior to workout, but I'd worry more about eating better throughout the day

Put very simply, energy comes from carbohydrates.

3. I take it you're not governed by drivers hours then?

Even if you're not, not taking a decent break isn't going to do you or other road users many favours. Having a break might also mean that you're not so cream crackered when you finish a days work.

Try porridge for breakfast before you leave for work. It's quick in the microwave and nice slow release energy rather that starting the sugar / energy rollercoaster 1st thing.
  4. Yogurts during the day are good slow release energy, definately eat more and take some breaks!
  5. Huge bowl of alpen in the morning always does the trick for me. Then try to eat through the day as well, as 1MR said, a banana, and apple and a can of tuna is hardly one days worth of food lol..