Need some input: Not sure whether to join up.

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by nick_jinks, Nov 22, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm interested in joining the army, I started the process during my final year at university, I'm currently doing my masters course. However, my selection board is in several weeks and I'm still conflicted whether I want to join up or not.

I want to join the army for the experience and the "not a normal job" aspect, but I'm not sure how well I'd be able to handle the army lifestyle. I like being independent.

My other option is doing a Genetics PhD. Arguably this is where my real interest is, and even if I joined the army I'm not sure whether I'd make a career from it or leave and continue with my science. I'm interested in genetics, which is not something I can do in the army.

How do I decide? I like my life how it is, but I've come so far in the process and sacrificed so much to get here that I'm not sure I want to back down. Nor do I want to think "What if" when I reach the age cut-off date.

Anyone out there had the same problem, or any input in how I can make my decision?

2. If you are in so much doubt, you don't want to join. It really is that simple.

• Like Like x 1
  3. If you are unsure then I would definitely say don't do it. Joining the Army is a big commitment, going for a Commission is an even bigger one, and neither should be undertaken without 100% commitment.

4. He's been faffing about for 5 ******* years, check his post history

5. [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  6. To doubt is to decide.

7. TheresaMay

TheresaMay LE Moderator DirtyBAT

Well personally I think if the OP's question is genuine - then he should join up ASAP.

Unable to make a decision... You'll fit right in.

And don't worry about getting shit done. That's what you'll have WOs and SNCOs for.

And don't worry about shit going wrong either - we'll take the blame for you while you're away on yet another career advancing course.

Good luck :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. What the hell? My first post here was about joining the TA during college, now I'm finishing uni. What's the big deal? I'm not a troll.

9. It's really not for you!

10. Did you join the TA?

11. No, I didn't know what I was getting into and I didn't get that far in the process. Don't think I went beyond the initial interview.

12. Solution here's pretty straightforward - crack on with the PhD and join the TA. Then you'll get a taste of the Army before joining as a reg. Kind of a win-win there.

13. I was under the impression that you couldn't move from Officer TA to Regs, only from Regs to TA, otherwise I would probably do that instead.

14. Depends what your age is, and whether you could join as a PQO. Unless you've gone over the age limit, I don't see why you couldn't go from TA to regular commission.

You said you 'don't think' you went beyond the initial interview before?

15. Guess I've got a 3rd option to investigate. Thanks for the help.