Need some input: Not sure whether to join up.

I'm interested in joining the army, I started the process during my final year at university, I'm currently doing my masters course. However, my selection board is in several weeks and I'm still conflicted whether I want to join up or not.

I want to join the army for the experience and the "not a normal job" aspect, but I'm not sure how well I'd be able to handle the army lifestyle. I like being independent.

My other option is doing a Genetics PhD. Arguably this is where my real interest is, and even if I joined the army I'm not sure whether I'd make a career from it or leave and continue with my science. I'm interested in genetics, which is not something I can do in the army.

How do I decide? I like my life how it is, but I've come so far in the process and sacrificed so much to get here that I'm not sure I want to back down. Nor do I want to think "What if" when I reach the age cut-off date.

Anyone out there had the same problem, or any input in how I can make my decision?

If you are unsure then I would definitely say don't do it. Joining the Army is a big commitment, going for a Commission is an even bigger one, and neither should be undertaken without 100% commitment.

He's been faffing about for 5 ******* years, check his post history

TheresaMay

ADC
DirtyBAT
Well personally I think if the OP's question is genuine - then he should join up ASAP.

Unable to make a decision... You'll fit right in.

And don't worry about getting shit done. That's what you'll have WOs and SNCOs for.

And don't worry about shit going wrong either - we'll take the blame for you while you're away on yet another career advancing course.

Good luck :)

I'm interested in joining the army, I started the process during my final year at university, I'm currently doing my masters course. However, my selection board is in several weeks and I'm still conflicted whether I want to join up or not.

I want to join the army for the experience and the "not a normal job" aspect, but I'm not sure how well I'd be able to handle the army lifestyle. I like being independent.

My other option is doing a Genetics PhD. Arguably this is where my real interest is, and even if I joined the army I'm not sure whether I'd make a career from it or leave and continue with my science. I'm interested in genetics, which is not something I can do in the army.

How do I decide? I like my life how it is, but I've come so far in the process and sacrificed so much to get here that I'm not sure I want to back down. Nor do I want to think "What if" when I reach the age cut-off date.

Anyone out there had the same problem, or any input in how I can make my decision?
It's really not for you!

Solution here's pretty straightforward - crack on with the PhD and join the TA. Then you'll get a taste of the Army before joining as a reg. Kind of a win-win there.

Solution here's pretty straightforward - crack on with the PhD and join the TA. Then you'll get a taste of the Army before joining as a reg. Kind of a win-win there.
I was under the impression that you couldn't move from Officer TA to Regs, only from Regs to TA, otherwise I would probably do that instead.

Depends what your age is, and whether you could join as a PQO. Unless you've gone over the age limit, I don't see why you couldn't go from TA to regular commission.

You said you 'don't think' you went beyond the initial interview before?

Depends what your age is, and whether you could join as a PQO. Unless you've gone over the age limit, I don't see why you couldn't go from TA to regular commission.

You said you 'don't think' you went beyond the initial interview before?
Guess I've got a 3rd option to investigate. Thanks for the help.

E

exmunkey

Definitely don't join the regulars. Follow your career path and if you still want to, join the TA, you'll see more than enough action

My other option is doing a Genetics PhD. Arguably this is where my real interest is, and even if I joined the army I'm not sure whether I'd make a career from it or leave and continue with my science.
I think you've answered your own question there! I did an undergraduate degree in biological sciences and I've often thought that maybe one day I might like to go back and do a PhD but at the moment my burning desire is to join the army; certainly I have absolutely no conflict in my mind about what I want to do for at least the next few years of my life, if not longer. The fact that you're even debating it should really tell you that it's probably not the career for you, at least not full time. There's always the TA, where you can do both, but even still your heart would want to be in it.