Need some friendly advice regarding the condition of my boots

Altberg defenders. If I'm genuinely honest lads, I don't want to bin the bstards but I'm not too sure what to do with them. I've absolutely fucked them up.

All I want to achieve is to be able to put some polish on and get a nice little shine
I understand altbergs aren't really for the parade type, but any advice on how to fix the horrendous condition of my boots or possibly even lighten the leather around the toe?

Attachments

ugly

LE
What size?

Only kidding, if they are just unusable for camp/parades keep them for field boots!

What size?

Only kidding, if they are just unusable for camp/parades keep them for field boots!
Yeah I was planning on shotting some wax or leder gris onto them for waterproofing and just keeping them as field boots worst comes to worst!

With the amount of boots issued and variety I was surprised you needed to ask.
Emotional attachment is the biggest ****** of all unfortunately

Pop down to G4 and ask if you can have a replacement, i'm sure the answer will not start with F & end with F!
Sometimes they do give kit out if you ask nicely and offer beer as an incentive.

I still hate to chuck boots away, we only used to get issued two pairs so we hung on to them as long as we could.
Yeah, I must be a hoarder or something too, hate to shot any kit away unless I really have to. Plus now with a mortgage and a misses its not exactly as simple as going out and buying a 180 quid pair of boots out a joint account and not expect the misses to check the bank statement to come home in the worst mood possible.

Yeah, I must be a hoarder or something too, hate to shot any kit away unless I really have to. Plus now with a mortgage and a misses its not exactly as simple as going out and buying a 180 quid pair of boots out a joint account and not expect the misses to check the bank statement to come home in the worst mood possible.
Altberg will repair them to a very good standard but it will cost you.

I've heard they stopped the service and only offer resoling now.
That is correct technically.
I haven't used that service for about 6 years but the last time I did I phoned them up and what they did was resoling plus any other refurbishment required for the same price.
They changed the name for legal reasons.
BTW I wear them on my bikes, I would have loved them to be available when I was in.
BTW 2. For anybody thinking of them who has not previously used them, go up a size.

Yeah I was planning on shotting some wax or leder gris onto them for waterproofing and just keeping them as field boots worst comes to worst!
What exactly did you do to them?

Mine are pretty battered esp around the toe box but working plenty of leder-gris in then a coat of leder-glos on top gets them looking alright. Won’t pass any inspections but don’t raise any eyebrows either. If no one’s looking.

I've heard they stopped the service and only offer resoling now.
A lot of companies no longer service older equipment/ gear including berghaus.... (tried to get an old cylops vulcan 2 repaired a few years ago to no avail!) it's often better to fix it yourself as most companies that do offer repairs charge ridiculous amounts....

You could try applying a few coats of polish or use leather recolouring balm (I doubt you'll get the exact shade of brown you need though)

You could try applying a few coats of polish or use leather recolouring balm (I doubt you'll get the exact shade of brown you need though)
Frankly unless the badge has the catalogued colour shade chart with him I doubt any boots would look as they should whatever that is?
I once left a boot on the window sill in my room to dry out and it warped slightly and became a queer shade of charcoal gray! Just the one boot, it always looked lighter than the other one until I ruined the pair in the falklands by smothering in neatsfoot oil constantly for 4 month!

What exactly did you do to them?

Mine are pretty battered esp around the toe box but working plenty of leder-gris in then a coat of leder-glos on top gets them looking alright. Won’t pass any inspections but don’t raise any eyebrows either. If no one’s looking.
I just sort of used them general use, polished, burnt polish on the lot and after quite a mucky,wet and moist fieldcraft shit i just left them to dry more or less and I've had problems since trying to put polish on and waxes and all sorts.

I just sort of used them general use, polished, burnt polish on the lot and after quite a mucky,wet and moist fieldcraft shit i just left them to dry more or less and I've had problems since trying to put polish on and waxes and all sorts.
A single but thorough going-over with leder-gris red might help, then back to regular leder-gris but if they have been burnt (!) they may be beyond help... sorry

I had a pair of Ex Guards Ammo Boots I used for taking Pass Out Parades for the Police. After I left they sat in a box in the garage for nearly 15 years, thought I couldn't bear to part with them. Sold them for a tenner on a Boot Fair 2 years ago. Don't miss them one bit...I think....

Latest Threads