Need Some Advice..

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by kellybus, Feb 16, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Here's the situation:

I'm 17 years old, 18 in November. From the ROI and sitting my Leaving Certificate in June. I've done my BARB test (80) and got L2 on the numeracy on literacy. I was always interested in Officer entry so my recruiting Sgt. put me in touch with a Lt. Col whom I had a meeting with today. We discussed my options: Join as a regular soldier and do two or three years and look for commission, or go on to do a degree in September and go for direct entry then. The thing is I hate school, although I'm intelligent I've always found it so easy that it bores me.. and I don't want to end up going to University with all my friends and end up drinking every night like is the normal here. What would you do?

2. Only you can make that decision, also remember what ever job you do in the Army as a Soldier you will still spend a vast ammount of time in classroom especially if a technical job. Self control...if you dont want to drink then dont.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Use your academic ability to your advantage, while you arent revising you can be training. Be as fit as you can be. Also be academically strong, if for any reason you were to leave the army, a Degree will serve you better than A levels.

Even looking at further education.

4. If the "easiness" of studies is what's putting you off further education, then it wont be putting you off University if you read a respectable subject at a respected University!
    Its quite a step up Science wise at least (in my experience)

added to that is you'll "grow up", a certain maturity comes from just a few years at uni!

echoing what Bollock-chops said, with the current cuts and going into yet another recession, you might be in a worse place than looking for a commission in 2-3 years!

Good luck!

5. I went to university due to your second point, the 'growing up'. I had always been a bit socially awkward and thought university would open me up a bit and give me some self-confidence... It did exactly that and more, it wasn't until the final year of university that I realised how much more socially compatible and competent university had made me. It also developed skills which I had assumed I already had before, such as leadership skills (from various group courseworks and tasks which I headed), self dependancy (from getting my own house/mortgage in the final year) and just general organisation caused through a combination of high levels of studying required and being quite busy socially and having to ensure there was time to both work hard and play hard.

People will always have a problem with tuition fees and I don't personally think this increase should affect anyone's intentions of attending university. The fee will be covered by student loans which are then repaid at pretty low rates, once you exceed a certain income. Repaying the debt should not leave you in any form of financial difficulty and the benefits of gaining both the qualification and the experience should make the three years of hard-work (any partying) well worth it.

IMO.

6. Go to Uni, especially in this climate with jobs in the future etc. If you aspire to be an officer, I'm sure you can find the self control to not drink 'every' night. Set yourself goals and limits and you can consider three years at uni as a way of a) training for Sandhurst and b) setting yourself up for the future.

7. Hating school is irrelevant too. University is really nothing like being at school, and whilst you might not always feel academically challenged, it's a great teacher of time management. Then take into consideration how many people in the country have or are getting degrees and how this could make your life more difficult if you don't get one, especially after leaving the Army.

8. I've narrowed it down to two options the latter being the one I'm leaning towards:

Firstly I'm going to concentrate on my exams in june. I'm thinking I will then spend the summer training and preparing to take the AOSB brief in December/November. I will start university and will be in a couple of months before the brief. I will see what they have to say who knows I might get Cat 1. If however, I get Cat 2 I might stay in Uni or if I am unhappy go for reg entry then. There are some jobs that you can't do as an officer and some of them are the one's I have been interested in. Also forgot to mention I was selected for a Potential officer visit to Sandhurst next month so hopefully I will get some insight into what they are looking for from the horse's mouth.