Need some advice on separating

Discussion in 'The Other Half' started by student_grant, Feb 27, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,
    I need some words of wisdom from those who have been there.

I'm thinking of calling it a day with my partner. We have been together for five years and have two lovely kids. We are supposed to be getting married in June and I basically don't think I can go through with it.

I have been at home for the last three and a half years looking after the kids so she could go back to work. I have also been paying my way though uni with money I saved from when I was in and student loans. I am starting a new career this summer and cant help looking at it as a chance to start again.

If I leave now what rights do I have with regards to the kids and will I get any compensation for spending the last four years as a domestic servant?

I have been advised to stick it out until we are married and then bin her but thats easy to say when its not you standing up in front of your friends and family knowing that its all a crock of shit.

We have talked about things and I have told her I am having major doubts and am thinking about throwing in the towel. Her response was "but my mum has paid for everything and my friends have all booked time off" she has also said "if you leave now you'll never see the kids again"

Yes I know I have been a mong and need to grow some balls, I need some constructive advice please. My primary concerns are 1. my kids and 2. getting my life back
  2. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

See a brief or the CAB to get advice about custody and maintenance.
  3. Are younamed as the father on the kids birth certificates?

As you are unmarried you would have had to be there when registering their births in order to get your name on it. (If married a wife can put fathers name on in his absence).

Basically, if your name is not on the birth certificates for your kids then you have no parental rights and she can indeed prevent you from seeing them.

If you are having doubts about marriage then do not do it.
  4. You must seriously been unhappy to want to throw in the towel with your partner and kids.

Although you just want to throw in thetowel with the mrs, unfortunately the kids will be part of that too. The only advice I can give you, is think long and hard on what you will be missing if you do go, (putting the kids to bed, the mrs making you cuppas), and what you think your life will really be like if you leave - will the grass be greener?

Constructive advice take it or leave it.
  5. Sound advice my arrse. If that is basis to stay with someone that you get your brews made you are a zoom. Ok the kids thing i accept but sometimes you have to do the right thing for them and if you are not creating the happy environment for them staying isnt the right thing to do.

You ever been married?
  6. Yes my name is on the birth certificate, both children have my surname.

I have looked into it a bit and I am under the impression that I will have to take her to court if I want to see them at all if I am not married.

Likewise no chance of maintenance.

I could walk tomorrow but I would be left with nothing.

I have been a bit if a mug by not getting money from her in lieu of being able to earn, and am basically skint now. I don't start my job until july. My head says stick with it but I am losing the will to live at the moment.

The mrs making me cuppa's!! Yeah right. I'm not going to spill my guts on here mate but I have good reasons for wanting to jack it in.
  7. Ok, well sit down in that case and make a case for access...basically arrange maintenence payment you both agree with, in return you get fair access to the kids.

If she tries the CSA argument, tell her to fcuk herself...because as I am aware new applications take at least 9 months just to process and i doubt she can afford to spend 9 months with no money and 2 kids.

And bear in mind she will need your money, as she will have to pay for childcare for the kids if she continues to work.

She doesn't hold all the cards here, remember that.
  8. My reference to cuppas was tongue in cheek i thought it a bit gay to say cuddling up on the sofa, knowing what your fav film is and all that other lovey dovey stuff.

You need to think about what you will be missing, does her making you cups of tea (example) put weigh a bad thing she does.

As for child maintanence you can do a calcualtion on the internet to see how much you would have to pay in your circumstances. Doing via that route you never pay alot. If you are concerned about the up keep of your kids then negotiate something with her.

BUT dont forget if you do leave she will probably be the main carer and will keep the house the plates the sofas and all the rest of it. (not meaning to sound materialistic but theres alot more to breaking up with someone if you live together and have kids than ou would think).
  9. From a pure relationship perspective and nothing to do with your children, if that's the best reason she can come up with for not cancelling your nuptials, she obviously knows it's not working but seems to want to settle for a 'something rather than nothing' relationship.

If you (as a couple) can rationally discuss the breakdown of your relationship it may be that she'll come round to the idea of your splitting up - it could be that even if she knew the relationship was dying that she was shocked when you actually raised the subject of ending it.

Good luck and I hope that you can get something sorted with regard to access to the children.
  10. If you are in the army they will provide you with a matress and a crappy single pitspace and i do believe that the cookhouse will give you a plate from which to eat your shite scoff off....In short dont worry! LOL
  11. Its me that need maintenance MB. shes a hospital doctor.

If i was a cynical bastard i could just play along with her game for another six months have a stag do have the wedding big pissup , see all my mates again who I have all lost touch with having basically been trapped in the house for years, start my new job then tell her I want a divorce and have far more bargaining power when it comes to access to the kids, share of equity in the house etc.

I'm not a bad person but enoughs enough, its not like we havent talked about what's going wrong but nothing ever changes and I'm threaders with it now.
  12. Yeah, when she said that I knew then that was the end of it. If she had come out with something like: why are you so unhappy? is there anything I can do? perhaps i would feel differently but I can see know that the whole things for her families benefit not ours.

I have been looking for a way out for years but havent had the guts to make the big decision. I dont want to do anything hasty as I dont want anything to hurt the kids.
  13. From whom? I cant see it mate, you've been at home looking after your kids and your home while she brings home the bacon.
    If you want to walk away and leave the kids with her are you intending to help support them, or are you expecting her or us to foot the bill?