Need some advice On joining the army

Anyone know much about these Royal Engineers: 2 Tp 217 Fd Sqn (EOD).
217 Sqn used to be a TA unit. They changed to an EOD role in the early 1990's and became part of 101 EOD Regt, which at the time was the TA EOD Regiment. I know that the reserves and regulars have been mixed together a bit now, but I'm eons out of date.

I’ve already been to have a look At the army reserve unit for RLC driver went for a chat there the other night showing me different roles about the process doing selection preparation now

I can't give you up to date specific advice, but noted that you said construction work was hard graft.
Working in a military environment can at times make the hardest job on a construction site seem like childs play.
Think of the toughest thing you have done on site, then imagine doing that same task but after being awake for 24-36 hours already, and in the worst case scenario with people shooting at you.
Its also worth noting that at the end of your day on site you get to sleep in a comfy bed or have a hot meal of your choice.

I'm not trying to put you off joining, but please don't look at work on site as being harder than a military role, or even hard at all.
Think of the 'git' of a site agent who likes to throw his weight around just because he can..........he/she is nothing compared to a Sergeant Major or pissed off NCO :)

Thinking of you getting work after you have left (as its been mentioned) at least your bricklaying trade is something fairly easy to pick up again later in life, if you had been an electrician or plumber your skills/quals would go out of date quickly and you'd have to retrain to work again.

Best of luck with whatever you decide, others here have suggested the RAF, they have a good selection of trades too, but also have far better conditions than the army.

If you elect to join the Engineers, then remember that you are a Combat Engineer first before a tradesman, you have a myriad of trade courses and being a brickie in Civvy street means you would only have to do an assessment before getting your trade pay. Being a Sapper is a wide ranging career, including Diver, EOD, Para, Commando all additions to your Combat Engineer and Trade.

If you elect to join the Engineers, then remember that you are a Combat Engineer first before a tradesman, you have a myriad of trade courses and being a brickie in Civvy street means you would only have to do an assessment before getting your trade pay. Being a Sapper is a wide ranging career, including Diver, EOD, Para, Commando all additions to your Combat Engineer and Trade.
Personally what would you say People enjoy the most in the army At the moment currently going to be a driver into the rlc reserves unit

For me, and I am talking a while ago, it was the craic, the chance to see places, sport, a chance to better myself. How that has changed since I left I cannot comment.

217 Sqn used to be a TA unit. They changed to an EOD role in the early 1990's and became part of 101 EOD Regt, which at the time was the TA EOD Regiment. I know that the reserves and regulars have been mixed together a bit now, but I'm eons out of date.
101 has recently returned to full TA role, 49 EOD Sqn is being re-formed as an extra Regular EOD Sqn (2 years after disbandment). EOD is more a shared task across the RE and RLC , how that pans out in to the future is anyone's guess.