Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need some advice On joining the army

Not to worry. If anyone asks why it was moved the code word is asparagus.

Malum

Swinger
Wouldnt hurt to put an application in now, the selection is the same for reserves and regulars but it takes months just to get to that stage. The guys down at the careers office will be the most helpful and have the up to date information anyway.

Hi ever since I was 14 I’ve always wanted to join the army I currently work in construction Been doing it two years now training as a bricklayer but the job Doesn’t fill me very much so I’m thinking joining the army reserves more then lightly as a driver but looking for other options where maybe learn something else In the army My plan is to do reserves for a year and if I like it Are join The regulars , The Royal engineers Seem pretty good , my maths and English isn’t so great

Since you already have a trade, you should have no trouble finding a civi job after if it does not work out, why not just joins the regs now?

You are at the right age, if it does not work out then you still have your whole life ahead of you.

Something that involves travelling and getting me something for civvy street do you know much about the engineers

if you dont want to work on a building site anymore then don´t join the RE. REME for more mechanical or electrical stuff, Signals for comms type stuff but the infantry is probably what you would rather be doing if you are honest with yourself.

If it does not work out then you will still be a brickie when you leave

Liamboss

Swinger
if you dont want to work on a building site anymore then don´t join the RE. REME for more mechanical or electrical stuff, Signals for comms type stuff but the infantry is probably what you would rather be doing if you are honest with yourself.

If it does not work out then you will still be a brickie when you leave
What’s the signals all about then telecommunications

Liamboss

Swinger
So from experience What would most you suggest is the best to join in the army for getting a future After the army Because Im still young and don’t really know what I wanna do

allatsea

Swinger
Transferable skills? Join a part of the army that will give you technical skills (communications, IT, surveyor etc)

Infantry is unlikely to fall into that same category - but, you will need to enjoy whatever you do so it isn’t the only factor.

Also look at the raf and navy. We are all tri service these days anyway...

If you aren't very academic, but good with practical things, perhaps the REME is for you? You will also likely pick-up some skills that can be used, if/when you leave. Have a look at the army website.

Liamboss

Swinger
Transferable skills? Join a part of the army that will give you technical skills (communications, IT, surveyor etc)

Infantry is unlikely to fall into that same category - but, you will need to enjoy whatever you do so it isn’t the only factor.

Also look at the raf and navy. We are all tri service these days anyway...
Thanks that’s very helpful

Thanks that’s very helpful

To be totally honest with you, thinking about what your going to do after the army may not be the best way ahead here, inspite of what those around you are probably telling you.

Do what interests you now, everything else comes later. If you are genuinely interested in technical stuff then the RAF is probably better, has better conditions and a wider range of options.

Getting a job as an avionic tech after the RAF is going to be a lot easier. I would normally have said that some sort of signals role int he army would have been a good one for work after the army but the whole world is rapidly shifting to IT / IP comms in the commercial world and this is not a good thing for job prospects. Anyone can install a comms system these days.

Ask yourself this - what would you do right now if money was no question, if you did not have to worry about the future what would you do right now? what excites you now? The answer may not be the army but whatever it is, thats your answer.

edited to add: what I am trying to say is that at your age and having admired that you dont know what you want to do with your life (very few people do), don´t worry about the future, do what you want to do now, live for the moment and just keep doing that until you die, you will make mistakes and you will go through some trials but you probably won´t get stuck in a career that bores the hell out of you for the rest of your life.

When you get old, it will be the things that you did not do that you regret most, not the things that you did.

Last edited:

Q_Man

Old-Salt
I'm a regular Royal Engineer. I started in the TA infantry, but whilst that was fun and made basic training easier, I wish I'd joined as a regular straight off. Join as a brickie, you will get paid as a brickie although you will rarely touch your trade. You will do more combat engineering (look it up) than trade. You also have the option to go EOD, airborne, Clerk of Works, Commando, pilot, SF or anything else your desire and ability allow.

It's a fantastic Corps with great opportunities and you will, occasionally, be called upon to lay bricks at which point having done it as a civvy, you should shine.

Don't waste what is a finite amount of time in the military in the reserves. Grow a pair and commit as a regular.

Liamboss

Swinger
To be totally honest with you, thinking about what your going to do after the army may not be the best way ahead here, inspite of what those around you are probably telling you.

Do what interests you now, everything else comes later. If you are genuinely interested in technical stuff then the RAF is probably better, has better conditions and a wider range of options.

Getting a job as an avionic tech after the RAF is going to be a lot easier. I would normally have said that some sort of signals role int he army would have been a good one for work after the army but the whole world is rapidly shifting to IT / IP comms in the commercial world and this is not a good thing for job prospects. Anyone can install a comms system these days.

Ask yourself this - what would you do right now if money was no question, if you did not have to worry about the future what would you do right now? what excites you now? The answer may not be the army but whatever it is, thats your answer.

edited to add: what I am trying to say is that at your age and having admired that you dont know what you want to do with your life (very few people do), don´t worry about the future, do what you want to do now, live for the moment and just keep doing that until you die, you will make mistakes and you will go through some trials but you probably won´t get stuck in a career that bores the hell out of you for the rest of your life.

When you get old, it will be the things that you did not do that you regret most, not the things that you did.
Thanks for that you explained that very well i’m worrying about the future too much and not doing What i really want thanks for your input

Liamboss

Swinger

Do you mind if I ask what you did in the army

Liamboss

Swinger
I'm a regular Royal Engineer. I started in the TA infantry, but whilst that was fun and made basic training easier, I wish I'd joined as a regular straight off. Join as a brickie, you will get paid as a brickie although you will rarely touch your trade. You will do more combat engineering (look it up) than trade. You also have the option to go EOD, airborne, Clerk of Works, Commando, pilot, SF or anything else your desire and ability allow.

It's a fantastic Corps with great opportunities and you will, occasionally, be called upon to lay bricks at which point having done it as a civvy, you should shine.

Don't waste what is a finite amount of time in the military in the reserves. Grow a pair and commit as a regular.
Nice one brother respect for that hundred percent my plan was to do the reserves For a year we’ll I get my level free in College to do with management supervisory and after that my plan was to figure out if I wanna join the the army full time i’m not sure if I can do both Reserveist, working in construction currently Throwing bricks all oversite hodding /All the over stuff

Liamboss

Swinger

If I was to join as a bricklayer what would the money be like ? If I was to join as a bricklayer would I get many licenses isn’t there a few different roles in re for one particular job

Q_Man

Old-Salt
If I was to join as a bricklayer what would the money be like ? If I was to join as a bricklayer would I get many licenses isn’t there a few different roles in re for one particular job

Money should not be your incentive, otherwise you will struggle in basic training to justify the graft. Money depends on your military qualifications, rank, trade etc. The latest armed forces pay scales are due to be released soon, but look up what a brickie earns as a Sapper, should be supplement 3.

As you earn rank, as well as your annual increments, your wage will go up. If you qualify as a diver, airborne, EOD or some others your pay will increase. A corporal, so think six to ten years on, should be around £32k. A WO1, think around twenty years time, is on around £47k. There is more money when you go on tour.

Add in subsidised housing, food, free medical, dental and clothing and equipment.

Money is not the be all and end all. There is money in the army, but the experiences, friends, kudos (chicks dig a squaddie, although normally rats pox ridden heffapigs), and opportunities unities make it worthwhile.

Civilian qualifications within the Corps vary, when they want to encourage recruitment or money is flush, courses include modules that allow civilian accreditation. But the army doesn't need you to be civilian qualified, that is a nice to have. There are courses where you can pay for a civilian exam and get a qualification, or do the army test for free. It's up to you.

Liamboss

Swinger
Money should not be your incentive, otherwise you will struggle in basic training to justify the graft. Money depends on your military qualifications, rank, trade etc. The latest armed forces pay scales are due to be released soon, but look up what a brickie earns as a Sapper, should be supplement 3.

As you earn rank, as well as your annual increments, your wage will go up. If you qualify as a diver, airborne, EOD or some others your pay will increase. A corporal, so think six to ten years on, should be around £32k. A WO1, think around twenty years time, is on around £47k. There is more money when you go on tour.

Add in subsidised housing, food, free medical, dental and clothing and equipment.

Money is not the be all and end all. There is money in the army, but the experiences, friends, kudos (chicks dig a squaddie, although normally rats pox ridden heffapigs), and opportunities unities make it worthwhile.

Civilian qualifications within the Corps vary, when they want to encourage recruitment or money is flush, courses include modules that allow civilian accreditation. But the army doesn't need you to be civilian qualified, that is a nice to have. There are courses where you can pay for a civilian exam and get a qualification, or do the army test for free. It's up to you.
Thank you very much For this advice

Liamboss

Swinger
My first choice rlc driver second Royal engineer Bricky third Royal engineer driver i’ve narrowed it down to i’m currently looking into / any others information on would be appreciated

Latest Threads