Need some advice / answers.

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Reserve Recruitment' started by compandstuff, Jun 6, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm currently studying for my A levels, after which I plan to apply as a regular officer or attend university and the UOTC.

I'm desperate for something to do inbetween, and cadets isn't for me.

I've recently turned 17 and the TA has caught my attention. I went online to look for my local unit after research told me it's much more useful to get in direct contact with them than my local careers office. Turns out my local unit is A coy / 3 Royal welsh. An infantry regiment - Perfect!
    Exactly what i'm looking for, as I plan to go infantry if I pass officer selection.

So a few questions:

Is it common for under 18's to join TA while at full time education?

How likely is deployment in a TA unit? Are there exemptions, such as age, eductaion commitments ect?

How does pay work? As you work 3 hours a week but website gives pay rates per day.

Would service in the TA as a soldier be good preperation for AOSB? Would the selection board take it into good consideration?

Is there a minimum service before you can give 3 months notice of departure?

Would parents need to be involved as i'm under 18?

I have plenty more but those need answering! :D

Sorry if I come accross as lazy, i've spent all day looking through the forum and haven't quite found the answers im looking for.

Thanks in advance.
  2. msr

msr LE

My advice is to go along and ask them.

Many of your questions are answered here:

Focus first on your education, if you are going regular, go and do all the things you won't be able to once you have joined up.

3. Phone Maindy on 02920220251 and ask

My mates son is doing the same thing,in the same unit and has just returned from 6 months in Cyprus, Op Tosca, loved every minute
  4. Thanks for the number tropper66, i'll definatley give them a ring when I can.