Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by bigsouth1981, Oct 18, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just thought you guys could help me as my head is done in from thinking about it. Ive been an Infantry soldier in the TA for 5 years now, and served successfully on op telic 2. The TA has given me some of the best experiences of my life for which I am extremely gratefull for. I still have a burning desire and passion for the army and everything that goes with it however due to personal circumstances in my life I have not trained with my unit for the best part of 9 months. Following the break up of a relationship and the consequent demise of my buisness I found it difficult to find any motivation for anything. Now spare me the violins (its not what im here for), having found my feet again I have landed a good job with good pay. The trouble is I am reluctant to train with the TA untill i have been employed 12 months (next april) - due to politics and circumstances at work that i cant be bothered going into. I feel I would be more beneficial to get my 12 months out the way and then get back into things knowing my civillian job is secure. With my imminent disharge looming I feel like a bag of shit and cant decide what to do.

Its killing me (plus 4 para has opened up near mine and its oh soooo tempting)

Any suggestions?
  2. Talk to your OC and see what he says.
  3. Your civilian job surely is secure? Reserve Forces Act and all that?
  4. Is that a wah??
  5. Get a grip! you already know the answer
  6. I beleive so, but basically if you read all the crap small print in your contract they can basically get rid offyou for farting if they want to, albeit only up to 12 months.
  7. eh muzzle?
  8. oo shit for you then :)

If you like the job... I'd have a chat with the OC and follow his advice... if you're considering shifting to 4 Para anyway then maybe a year out to "start afresh" may be a good thing?

But what the **** do I know Im not even feckin attested :D
  9. Ram civvie life - go green and "re-discover your self worth", you know it makes sense.
  10. In comparison, civvie life sucks balls most of the time i suppose
  11. stick it out and do the minimum - if you jack it you will regret it
  12. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Try and avoid leaving then rejoining - it will be an admin nightmare. Be up front with your OC about needing some time off, and why.

(Then get yourself to 4 Para and arrange to get on P Coy!)
  13. My son had a similar problem when he changed civvy jobs and found himself unable to maintain his commitment to his TA unit. I suggested a chat with the OC to explain that it wasnt through a lack of commitment etc but through a need to ensure a secure civilian employment. Went down well, son took time out from TA and subsequently did his class 1 course and a year later was commissioned into TA.

If you are a good guy the TA will understand, you are after all a volunteer you turn up out of choice. Providing you make the situation clear to OC he will not think any less of you. Better to go and let him know whats going on rather than have him think that you are a bedwetter.

Hope that this helps.
  14. msr

msr LE

Speak to your OC and request a leave of absence.

15. cheers boys, a chat to my OC it is!!