Need new GPU

DarkBrig

War Hero
I built my PC around 2013 (so everything is based around a Sabretooth x58 MB and i7 950 CCU) however after about 8 yrs of 2 - 3 play hrs a day, my sapphire Radeon R9 290x had died. I intend to intend to build a new PC in about 18 months however until then I need a stop gap new card.

I mainly play Battlefield and COD and don't do any editing I really don't want to go overboard for what will be 18 months use, so does anyone have any suggestions for a new GPU with similar or better performance at around £250, also how much further on would a new "cheap" card be compared to my relatively high end "old " one?

TIA

Last edited:

DarkBrig

War Hero
Do you mean a 290X?

If so, try this one:

It's in your budget and about 40% faster than your present card.
Many thanks for the reply
Yes 290X (edited post now) re your recommendation my system is intel so as I understand it I'm stuck with AMD not NVidia.

DarkBrig

War Hero
Yes 290X (edited post now) re your recommendation my system is intel so as I understand it I'm stuck with AMD not NVidia.
I'm happy with the CPU for now although It wont play COD Vanguard which I can live with until new build, so GPU is the priority

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer
Not true my friend.

Graphic cards are all interchangeable, you can have an Nvidia one even if you've previously had AMD. It has nothing to do with your CPU's brand.

I'm not very familiar with AMD's lineup, which is why I made the Nvidia recommendation, plus, I've had Nvidia for years and years and never had a problem with them or the drivers.

DarkBrig

War Hero
Not true my friend.

Graphic cards are all interchangeable, you can have an Nvidia one even if you've previously had AMD. It has nothing to do with your CPU's brand.

I'm not very familiar with AMD's lineup, which is why I made the Nvidia recommendation, plus, I've had Nvidia for years and years and never had a problem with them or the drivers.
Ah so I presume then as long as the drivers are correct it will play, that opens up a whole new world of opportunity - back to the net I go

DarkBrig

War Hero
Do you mean a 290X?

If so, try this one:

It's in your budget and about 40% faster than your present card.
Job done, installed in 5 mins and now happy saving the world (again!). Definite difference especially with fires etc. Many thanks for the recommendation.

Latest Threads