Need information on a 60s group called Hedgehoppers Anonymous.

VLTR

Clanker
I am a musician, and I have a hobby of collecting and listening to old records, primarily 1960s records. Recently I was listening to a friend of mine's room collection of Decca records from 1962-66, and one record caught my eye(ear in this case). It was a 1965 record titled It's Good News Week(), produced and written by Jonathan King(same guy behind another hit, Everyone's Gone to the Moon), and was performed by a band called Hedgehoppers Anonymous.

I know what a hedgehopper is, and after some research, I found out that the band members were all RAF servicemen. I have some info that they apparently were all ground crews in RAF Wittering. I also have unconfirmed information that the RAF disbanded them by deploying them to separate bases all over the world.

If anybody has more direct information about the band, and its members, or any idea of what happened to them after the band and their current whereabouts, that would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

_Chimurenga_

LE
Gallery Guru
I've heard of this group by way of a collection that Cherry Red Records put together -

The liner notes for that particular track -

1625976351800.png

Ex_crab

Old-Salt
I was groundcrew at RAF Wittering when this was all going on. It did seem a bit odd going to Electronic Stores and exchanging radar kit with a bloke who had been on TOTP the night before.
I think the only one who had any sort of subsequent music career was Mike Tinsley, the singer. Plenty on Google.

VLTR

Clanker
I was groundcrew at RAF Wittering when this was all going on. It did seem a bit odd going to Electronic Stores and exchanging radar kit with a bloke who had been on TOTP the night before.
I think the only one who had any sort of subsequent music career was Mike Tinsley, the singer. Plenty on Google.
That's some good info @Ex_crab , do you know what happened to them after their COs found out about their music career? And also, who was the band member you were exchanging a radar kit with?

Diko

Old-Salt
I believe the RAF posted them off all over the country to split them up. Lived in Stamford at the time and used to go to the A1 club at RAF Wittering on Wednesday and Saturday nights, never seen their act though.

Ex_crab

Old-Salt
That's some good info @Ex_crab , do you know what happened to them after their COs found out about their music career? And also, who was the band member you were exchanging a radar kit with?

I'm sorry but that is all the first hand info that I have. I liked my music, still do, but H.A. were not to my taste.

This may help

I would be a bit careful with some of his bio entries as he has got his Wittering aircraft types mixed up, no Vulcans at Wittering

VLTR

Clanker
I'm sorry but that is all the first hand info that I have. I liked my music, still do, but H.A. were not to my taste.

This may help

I would be a bit careful with some of his bio entries as he has got his Wittering aircraft types mixed up, no Vulcans at Wittering
I noticed that too, weren't there only Valiants and Victors in Wittering?

Ex_crab

Old-Salt
I noticed that too, weren't there only Valiants and Victors in Wittering?
I was at Wittering '64 - late '67, there were 2 squadrons of Victor B2Rs fitted with the Blue Steel stand off missile. I was a Radar Fitter on the flight line and never bumped into M.T. He could have been in the Hangar as a Radar Tech. but we didn't talk to them much.

VLTR

Clanker
I was at Wittering '64 - late '67, there were 2 squadrons of Victor B2Rs fitted with the Blue Steel stand off missile. I was a Radar Fitter on the flight line and never bumped into M.T. He could have been in the Hangar as a Radar Tech. but we didn't talk to them much.
Ah I see, that's cool. You've provided very useful info. I plan of contacting M.T very soon, do you reckon there's any way I could find the rest of the bandmembers?

Ah I see, that's cool. You've provided very useful info. I plan of contacting M.T very soon, do you reckon there's any way I could find the rest of the bandmembers?
As of 2012, they seemed to be all alive.
There's a chap called Jeremy Simmonds, who compiles the encyclopedia of dead rock stars. Maybe contact him, he is on linked in.
Also, at cherry red, there was a chap called mike alway, who is a landmine of trivia.
Jonathon king? He may be contactable, and may know more.

VLTR

Clanker
As of 2012, they seemed to be all alive.
There's a chap called Jeremy Simmonds, who compiles the encyclopedia of dead rock stars. Maybe contact him, he is on linked in.
Also, at cherry red, there was a chap called mike alway, who is a landmine of trivia.
Jonathon king? He may be contactable, and may know more.
Scared of contacting J. King, as I am a very young man. lol.
I will try contacting the other 2 people you recommended to me, thank you for the additional information.

Latest Threads